Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Djing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
right, the story so far
my college is having a freshers evening and its asked for pupils that want to DJ and i've offered once i've got more info like will it be vinils or will it just be playlists etc

So far my playlist is gonna be made up of DnB, some dance, Old school hip hop, some indie and some daft punk and jimeiqiu (however u spell it)
This is it so far:
Daft punk: not sure which one yet
J5:Concreteschoolyard
Pendulm:Blood surgar
Aerosmith and Run DMC: Walk this way
Rappers delight(not sure who did it)
Cage the elphant: In one ear
The wombats:dance to joy divison
Jimeriqua: Space cowboy or vitual insanity
subfocus: Timewarp
cage the elphate: ain't no rest for the wicked
Chemicals bros: not sure yet

Thats it so far
Any other surgestions for songs would be great thanks(please surgest for the ones which i'm not sure on)
Also any tips as its gonna be my first time djing THANKS
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just enjoy yourself mate. Its all natural to be nervous beforehand.

I mean my general advice is not to plan exactly what you are gonna play, okay maybe have a few tracks in your head you know would go well but ... no intending to sound cheesy .. but just "go with the flow" .. see what people like and just enjoy it!
    Definitely a good idea to have a few more tracks in mind, in case anything goes wrong with your CDs or if the crowd needs a kick in a different direction.

You mentioned vinyl, did you mean you have all the tracks on vinyl? If not, will you be playing on CDJs or literally just playing one track then the next on a CD? If you've never DJ'd at all, it probably won't be a good idea to try and mess about with mixing etc, but if they do have decks you should be able to do some simple cuts with the crossfader, which is better than letting a CD run onto the next track (especially if it's a dance track with a long intro and outro).
    right
    I just got emailed back and whats happening is theres gonna be CD decks and vynl decks (the CD ones i've never heard about)
    I've had a few much abouts on some desks and mixing but never really live
    So i'm gonna go for it and have a laugh
    thanks for the advice
    RIght now i've got a few more track ideas some dance and some good old rock, queen, anyone who doesn't like queen needs a great big SLAP, with the back hand, that type of slap
    Sounds like it'll be a very eclectic set! :)
    defo mate
    should be a laugh cos i've just seen the set list, it was quick email back, anyway i'm inbetween my mates band and my other mates ska band
    should be a great evening
    Good luck :)
    One suggestion that is notably missing from that list: "Jump Around" by House of Pain. Give it a spin!
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    One suggestion that is notably missing from that list: "Jump Around" by House of Pain. Give it a spin!

The original or the overplayed micky slim one? :p

Though to be fair the micky slim one would go down well.

Born Slippy is a guaranteed hit with drunk freshers.
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Although agreed on the "Born Slippy" track, give me the Deadmau5 remix of "Jump Around" anyday, pal. :p
    Hmmm i keep moving from liking the DeadMau5 remix to hating it ... hate it atm :p
    You should have DJd here mate. Came to a shitty student cheesey dance night to flyer, and there are literally about 5 people here!
    You should have DJd here mate. Came to a shitty student cheesey dance night to flyer, and there are literally about 5 people here!

Ohhhhhh no, your not one of those flyering cunts are you :p
    Just helping a mate out, we thought we'd give it the benefit of the doubt and spend the night here, not looking good!

Yes, I think I am :(
    GoodFella wrote: »

Though to be fair the micky slim one would go down well.

Born Slippy is a guaranteed hit with drunk freshers.

Drunk???? I wish :D
    its a college freshers thing, so no alchole or entry if ur already drunnk

But even so tis a great song
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    I used to DJ the uni friday night disco and also dj other events / private bookings etc. Usual mixture of cheese/indie/typical student thing.

My golden rules would be:
    1. You are not bigger than your audience. If everyone leaves the dancefloor then it tells you they don't want to listen to that song. So don't stick to playing that song. If a song pulls everyone onto the floor, then play more like that.
    2. Whatever song you are currently playing, make sure the next song is bigger than that.
    3. Girls dance to dance/RnB, boys dance to Indie but only if girls are on the dancefloor. Everyone will stay on the dancefloor for cheese, but they won't join the dancefloor.
    4. Have the next song lined up immediately. Even if you want to find a classic buried at the back of your box of records/CDs/iPod, line something up and then replace it when you've found the song you were after. There is nothing worse than your CD skipping/dying and silence descending on the dancefloor while you struggle to put another record on.

I guarantee you will ignore rule 4. And it'll be fine for your first ten/fifteen gigs. Then, when you are really confident, it'll go wrong and you'll have a few hundred students stood looking at you because you mucked up. And you'll curse yourself you didn't take heed.

Olly