Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Children, illnesses and tiredness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Bizarre question... how do you know when a child is ill, or just tired? Just looking after my friend's boy, and I'm aware he's tired, just he was complaining of stomach ache, sickness and pains in his leg. Just wondered how you can tell if a child is geniunely ill, or just tired!

It's just for my knowledge really, not wanting an answer specific to my example above!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I guess it just depends on the age of the child and the child themselves. For example some children get cranky when they are tired and fall asleep whilst others may get all worked up and may end up feeling sick or having a tummy ache.

Pains in the leg seem to be a bit funny as in I can't imagine a child coming up with such a pain just for tiredness.

When the child is young they can't really vocalise and communicate that mabye they actual feel tired, also that they might not realise that what they are feeling is tiredness. Parents and carers pick up on it with things like eye rubbing and individual traits to the child e.g. the little girl I look after finds and rubs a label on a teddy or a piece of clothing and the boy's eyes sort of roll back in his head and he just has a good cry before falling straight to sleep.

I would think that it is 8/9pm and he's probably had a busy day and is just tired. Besides, even if he is ill children recover by sleep!
    *Ashley* wrote: »
    Pains in the leg seem to be a bit funny as in I can't imagine a child coming up with such a pain just for tiredness.

My Mum used to blame "growing pains" for pains in my legs :chin:

Maybe in this case he's just a little nervy (hence the tummy pains) about not being with his mum - absolutely no reflection on you though! :)
    Offer him chocolate.
    You could check his temperature.
    Maybe in this case he's just a little nervy (hence the tummy pains) about not being with his mum - absolutely no reflection on you though! :)

Thats exactly what I was going to say. I'm sure he'll be fine in the morning.
    i think you just have to know the individual child to know whether theyre pulling a fast one or not, and even then you sometimes get it wrong.

It would depend if there was anything they were trying to get out of by pretending to be ill
    Thankyou for your replies, he was fine in the morning, I took temp. it was normal thankfully! Just thought it would be useful to know, sure I'll come across many tired kids on placements!