Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

First Car

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    tobacco
    rizzla
    filters
    lighter
    RAC card
    big warm coat
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Most of those are only useful if you know how to fix a car when it breaks! For the rest of us the AA card would do the trick :p

Most of those things are the basics I'd keep in my car to have a decent chance of bodging something together. Things like coats, road maps, wet wipes and gloves should be standard in any car IMO, regardless of how much knowledge the owner has.

Not sure I'd recommend using tin foil in place of fuses... it's a better idea to lift a good fuse from a redundant circuit to try and get the car going again. If a fuse blows, it's often for a good reason. Bridging the circuit with foil eliminates the safety net of a fuse, and could be a real fire hazard... hence the list of fuses in my list of what I kept in the car ;).
  • Options
    genuine disclok, not one of them shitey ones, can be got through in seconds

kill switch

and a wheel brace within reach... maybe its just where i live :chin:
  • Options
    If you need to carry a thing of oil with you I think you need to get your car checked out.
  • Options
    I guess it depends on how often it needs topping up. Half a litre every couple of thousand miles can be the norm on engines run-in as per the manufacturers recommendations... An engine using a bit of oil isn't such a bad thing really, though it does depend on the amount it uses...

The time of year can affect the amount of oil used by an engine, too.
  • Options
    Well you get it changed right about then... if it is using more than that in the alloted time its probably burning/leaking/whatever the hell cars do. I've never heard of topping it off between changes unless your car is using it excessivly and you have to. But I guess if you do that would be a reason to carry it ;)
  • Options
    Well you get it changed right about then... if it is using more than that in the alloted time its probably burning/leaking/whatever the hell cars do. I've never heard of topping it off between changes unless your car is using it excessivly and you have to. But I guess if you do that would be a reason to carry it ;)

:yes: You shouldn't lose much oil

Although I have to carry a bottle of antifreeze because the tank is leaking a little bit