Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Graduate Confusion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My current job doesn't pay well and I am looking for something that pays a bit better, but will get me good experience. maybe admin... Short term.

I have chosen this, as I plan to do an Ma in a few years time. When I get a job that gets me in earlier, I'd also like to hook up with a teacher and start learning French. In fact, there is tons to do...

Thing is, I am thinking short term and everywhere seems to be thinking long term. I am looking at admin jobs, as I think the office experience would be valuable.

I'd like to work one day in the not for profit sector, either co-ordinating campaigns, managing projects or doing advocacy work (very broad I know).

Thing is, already there seems a lot of pressure to jump in to a career. I don't want to... I'd like to work abroad a few years, but have no idea how.

TEFL has been suggested, though are there many other routes to work abroad?

I think the experience would be good and there's a possibility I could find a base, or an NGO which cpuld connect to my dissertation. :)

I am bored shitless... I just don't wanna keep choosing between rent and dental treatment, if that makes sense. Be able to chill for a year or two and eventually get somewhere... Does that make sense?

There are so many options, so much pressure to do well and everything seems so poorly paid. :rolleyes:

Sorry... rant over.

Comments

• Options
    graduate??

Hi there

How old are you by the way??

You been to university??

Rachyg
  • Options
    rachyg wrote: »
    You been to university??
    Yes, hence the word "graduate".
  • Options
    The main jobs abroad tend to be teaching and IT. There are other jobs, but they're usually pretty specialized stuff. If you're wanting to learn French, then it might be worth trying to get a job in a French-speaking country, rather than paying out a fortune to a teacher in this country. Maybe Northern and Western Africa. Or the French bit of Canada, where your job opportunities will probably be a bit more varied.

What are you wanting to do an MA in? Presumably you'll need to save up for that while working?