Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I think I might be a Tory convert!

2»

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    It's a good idea... it's the common sense approach. But, when they actually get into power, will they stand up to BAA?
    Or a BAA too corrupt and will quite happily line the Tories pockets like they've probably done with Labour too?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To be honest you probably need some expansion at Heathrow, though whether you need to go as far as proposed is questionable. I've heard the figure of Heathrow still being at 97% capacity even if eveyone travelling to Manchester and Leeds took the train (don't know whether that is actual or projected capacity).
    Leeds is an oddity in that it only actually has four flights to London a day - seems an odd place to add if the government is trying to clamp down on internal flights....
    JsT wrote: »
    Leeds is an oddity in that it only actually has four flights to London a day - seems an odd place to add if the government is trying to clamp down on internal flights....

Won't be the only reason - there's strong arguments for a Leeds-Manchester-Sheffield nexus, potentially (long term) it could almost rival the South East as being the powerhouse of the economy.
    Everyone enjoy Dispatches' programme on Tory corruption tonight? Lord Ashcroft refusing to answer questions on his residence or whether he pays tax in this country, while donating through dodgy companies, beautifully juxtaposed with David Cameron lecturing everyone on transparency.
    Shock horror: the Tories are just as bad. I wouldn't normally plug the Daily Mail but on this rare occasion it's right, all the parties have sold out... At least the Tories don't deny being pro-business - I've no idea how Labour have managed to justify taking millions off Ronald Cohen (the pioneer of private equity in the UK).
    Peter Oborne is probably the best political commentator out there, in my book. Almost everything he writes is devastatingly accurate - the only issue we disagree on is his view that Gordon Brown is "a fundamentally honest man" when his record in office clearly demonstrates otherwise. However, that piece was spot on.

They really are useless. The Tory Party is propped up by a man who refuses to answer important questions about his residential status and whether he, as widely suspected, evades paying tax in the UK. The Labour Party just about manages to stay out of bankruptcy by taking money off private equity tycoons. As for the LibDems, one of their donors ended up in jail!
    JsT wrote: »
    The Government actually needs to have someone with a damn clue running things - Ruth Kelly knows piss all about the transport industry so why have her as minister for Transport?
    Geoff Hoon any better?
    Aladdin wrote: »
    And if I were allowed to vote on General Elections,

I thought that as an EU citizen and the fact you are residing in this country, you would be entitled to vote? :confused:
    Geoff Hoon any better?

Grandad & Dad were both railwaymen so who knows. Have to wait and see. Can't be any worse than Ruth Kelly.
    Apparently, even using their own figures, 60% of the demand for the third runway will not be catered for by the high-speed rail link. Still, a few 'green' votes can't hurt, not in the short term anyway...
    Teagan wrote: »
    I thought that as an EU citizen and the fact you are residing in this country, you would be entitled to vote? :confused:
    I can vote in local, regional and European, but not General. I can vote in the Spanish General election by post.

The same can be said of ex-pats all over Europe as well. British ex-pats in Spain, for instance, can vote in local, regional and European, or indeed run for office (I think there used to be an English mayor somewhere in the Costa del Sol).
    The only EU country whose people has full voting rights in the UK is Ireland
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I can vote in local, regional and European, but not General. I can vote in the Spanish General election by post.

The same can be said of ex-pats all over Europe as well. British ex-pats in Spain, for instance, can vote in local, regional and European, or indeed run for office (I think there used to be an English mayor somewhere in the Costa del Sol).

Aaah! Ok. Thanks for explaining that to me. :)