Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Prices for tickets bought at the station

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
How do I find out how much it costs to buy a train ticket at the station, rather than pre-booking over the internet?

Cheers!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It depends where for. If you go on National Rail and just put in the next train it should be how much you'd pay at the station.
    Go to trainline.co.uk and type in your journey details.

The 'Off Peak Single' price is the price that you'd pay at the station.
    What if I want to know how much a return is? Sorry to be confusing. Basically trying to figure out if its too late to buy cheaper returns online than it would be at the station tomorrow morning!
    It would be the same, I think. Not 100% sure though.
    Trainline says 26 pounds over the internet, but then it charges for using certain cards etc, so itll be a least 28 quid. Might just be cheaper to get it at 26 ponds at the station if its like that.
    It's gonna cost the same now, but there is a perfectly legal trick that you might be able to use to get a cheaper ticket. If you split your journey up then it might work out cheaper.

Where are you travelling to and from?
    Not for me, but basically from Stanstead to Liverpool Street Station.
    Though on train line to singles were more expensive anyways... so just going to get tickets at the station and leave it at that.

Thanks for the quick help guys :)
    Here's some really good tips on booking cheap train tickets...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Advance purchase is only available until 6pm the day before so you are too late now.

London to Stansted:

£26.00 Day Return (all trains all day)
    £17.80 Off Peak Return (any train after 09:30, first valid is 1B40 09:40 Liverpool Street to Stansted)
    **Excluding all railcard discounts - 33% off for them.

However you can legally buy a cheaper ticket from London to Audley End (£18.80 before 09:30, £13.80 after) and break journey at Stansted and don't continue to Audley End - this is fully valid and above aboard as the routing guide has London to Audley End valid Via Stansted. You can also make a small saving (about a fiver off peak) by splitting tickets at Harlow Town - you have to ensure the train stops at Harlow Town (only half do). You can also save money by tubing up to Tottenham Hale and getting the train from there if your Oyster covers you up that far.
    sanitize wrote: »
    The 'Off Peak Single' price is the price that you'd pay at the station.

Not the case at all - that would only be available after peak on short distance journeys.
    JsT you are amazing! :love:
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    kangoo wrote: »
    JsT you are amazing! :love:
    What have I done now? :p
    All that ticket splitting tickets malarkey! You are a wealth of knowledge :)