Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Car insurance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Its that time, the one where i learn to drive and then get eaten alive by the ridiculous prices of driving.

I turn 17 on sunday and im having my first lesson the same day :yippe:

My mum just rang her insurer and they said it would cost £3000 a year to insure me on her car, now i'm sure there's cheaper ways to go about this so i was looking for your advice.

Got any recommendations?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What's her car?
    Matteh wrote: »
    Its that time, the one where i learn to drive and then get eaten alive by the ridiculous prices of driving.

I turn 17 on sunday and im having my first lesson the same day :yippe:

My mum just rang her insurer and they said it would cost £3000 a year to insure me on her car, now i'm sure there's cheaper ways to go about this so i was looking for your advice.

Got any recommendations?

Buy a cheap crappy car and run that for a bit.

Or buy a new car with a free insurance deal... But you'll still get clobbered after the first year.
    What's her car?

Its a Vaxhaul Corsa SXI+
    Engine size?

£3000 sounds like an awful lot to be added onto a policy to be a named driver for a corsa, although it does sound like it might be the whizzy one which is never good for getting teenage drivers insurance.

Was that as a learner or for after you've passed? And how much difference would pass plus make? One option might be to wait until you've passed and done pass plus, another would be to have a hunt online for some quotes and see if you can wait until it's time for her to renew her insurance and change to somewhere that wants teenage drivers.

Quoting £3000 basically says they don't want our business.
    Engine size?

£3000 sounds like an awful lot to be added onto a policy to be a named driver for a corsa, although it does sound like it might be the whizzy one which is never good for getting teenage drivers insurance.

Was that as a learner or for after you've passed? And how much difference would pass plus make? One option might be to wait until you've passed and done pass plus, another would be to have a hunt online for some quotes and see if you can wait until it's time for her to renew her insurance and change to somewhere that wants teenage drivers.

Yes, her insurance is probably with Privilege (or similar) who really don't like younger drivers. Getting insured when you have passed your test will indeed be cheaper when compared to learning.

The VXR is the fast one...
    Although do check, some insurers make it cheaper, some make it more expensive when you've passed. It seems to vary as you'll find some who are quite happy to have you as a supervised learner but don't want you out on yuor own.
    Engine size?

"Vaxhaul Corsa SXI+ 16V, 1200cc, 3 doors, petrol, automatic, 2005 - 2006"

Oh and thats as a learner. Not sure on how much difference pass plus would make but ill look into that.

Most of the online comparison sites are complaining and wont quote me because im "not 17 yet" so... gotta wait till sunday at least for a quote i guess. Not in much of a rush to get the insurance soon as im gonna need a fair few lessons before i can even think about driving another car for practice.

I considered buying a cheap car like g_angel said but aparently it wont make much difference?
    "Vaxhaul Corsa SXI+ 16V, 1200cc, 3 doors, petrol, automatic, 2006 - 2006"

Oh and thats as a learner. Not sure on how much difference pass plus would make but ill look into that.

Most of the online comparison sites are complaining and wont quote me because im "not 17 yet" so... gotta wait till sunday at least for a quote i guess. Not in much of a rush to get the insurance soon as im gonna need a fair few lessons before i can even think about driving another car for practice.

I considered buying a cheap car like g_angel said but aparently it wont make much difference?

Wait until you're 17 then. pass plus you can only do once you have your license and it does indeed make a difference.

Insurance is always going to cost you big time, but no WAY should it cost £3000. ... and on a Corsa 1.2. :lol: They're having a laugh mate.
    I know £3k is rediculous. Basically means they dont want my custom.

Hoping i can find a half decent deal elsewhere. or someone reccomends an insurer
    I know £3k is rediculous. Basically means they dont want my custom.

Hoping i can find a half decent deal elsewhere. or someone reccomends an insurer

Can't really recommend an insurer as they all vary massively by area, age, person, car etc. Ridiculous really.

Just shop around, and try confused.com etc.
    Compare the market!

Glad your doing all the work for me matt ;)

So... lie about your DOB - change it so you were 17 last week. And use next door's house number with your fake name so you don't get lots of junk mail. It's only a quote at the end of the day... tell as many lies as you want and see what affects your yearly premiums the most.

Pass-plus only makes a difference with some insurers. Get quotes for driving after passing your test both with and without pass-plus, and see if the difference is worthwhile.

I looked at doing the IAM bike test last year. Would have cost over £200 to do, and reduced my insurance by 88p. Another insurer wanted more money than had I not done the advanced test...

Trust no insurance company. They're all out to get you for as much money as they can. And you'll pay a fortune to learn to drive in a 2-year-old car.
    Personally, I would recommend against learning to drive at the age of 17 unless it's an absolutely necessity for you. As you're discovering, it's going to cost you a horrendous amount of money in order to do it. You're male, which makes it even worse. Men aged 17-25 have more accidents than any other group, hence why insurance is so expensive for us. And people wonder why there are, according to some estimates, over 2million uninsured drivers on the road...

Ways to save money would be getting a small and old car. Even so, as a young man aged 17, you're going to get clobbered. Best learn now that driving isn't cheap.
    Tesco value car insurance was cheapest for me
    Hey, I'm not entirely sure why you would want to get put on your mum's insurance as a learner anyway, was she just going to teach you herself or are you going to pay to have lessons from an instructor and go out with your mum as well? If you're going the instructor route, you might find it easier to only drive your instructors car until you pass your test, rather than switching between two cars anyway. From what it will cost to buy another car and insure yourself as a learner on it, you might just be better of using that money to have more lessons with your instructor and more driving time that way. Just a thought! As for me, I've always found direct line and tesco to be the cheapest insurers.
    Another way to reduce insurance is to up the excess.
    Another way to reduce insurance is to up the excess.

:yes: And go without windscreen protection. I saved £100 over the year not protecting my windscreen, but the quote I had for my new windscreen was £100! Halfway through the year and no broken windscreen yet *fingers crossed!*
    I don't know why they are saying £3000. I drove my car before I had passed my test and it was only about £750 then once I had passed it went down about £100 each year, but now I have a new car with a bigger engine so I am back up to £750 again.
    squeal wrote: »
    I don't know why they are saying £3000. I drove my car before I had passed my test and it was only about £750 then once I had passed it went down about £100 each year, but now I have a new car with a bigger engine so I am back up to £750 again.

Some companies simply don't want to insure young drivers and so they give very high quotes to put you off. By quoting, they are still giving you a choice, instead of just refusing point blank.

Means they make a pretty penny if you're daft enough to go with them.
    3k isnt ridiculous over here :mad: :mad:
    Oh it is. I pay under £200 per year to insure a proper crotch-rocket - I can do 100mph in excess of the speed limit on a motorway, and accelerate so quickly you'd miss it if you blinked.

£3k is a lot of money, whichever way you look at it...