Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Downgrading ecstasy.

SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
What is the point in the ACMD?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7636896.stm
Weekender Offender 

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    While any reduction is to be welcomed on the basis that those caught with it will be looking at a lesser punishment, the bottom line is that most people couldn't give a fuck whether is Class A, B or C- they'll still use it- or choose not to- regardless of its legal classification.

But yes, from the point of view of potential damage to the user, ecstasy is actually safer than alcohol and fags, let alone pot, charlie or smack.

The whole system is a fucking fallacy anyway.
    It won't happen. They've spent far too long telling us how dangerous the stuff is, and how one tablet will kill you, and other such bollocks. They can't backtrack now, unless they can fabricate some new evidence so that they don't look like complete cocks. If they do though, I'd welcome it, because it's way overdue. It should be legal really, but it'd be a good first step.
    I'd be surprised if it happens. Politicians are shit scared of being accused as 'soft' on drugs - The Sun, Daily Mail, etc shape policy here. I'm quite sure plenty of serious mainstream politicians would advocate legalisation if doing so wouldn't be political suicide.
    The ACMD is gradually being moved to the side, membership has now changed which means the government can more easily put people who agree with it on the council.

But anyway, this whole thing is a smoke screen, MDMA shouldnt be down graded to Class B, the whole fucking system should be changed and relatively safe drugs such as MDMA, LSD, mushrooms, cannabis, ketamine and others should be legally sold in government run chemists.
    The article said that
    About 50 deaths a year involve the use of ecstasy - known to chemists as MDMA - in England and Wales, according to the Office for National Statistics. Figures showed there were 246 deaths between 2003 and 2007.

I was wondering... It says the deaths 'involve' the use of ecstasy... Does this mean the drug caused the death? or does it include poly drug use, drug driving, accidents? Does it mean MDMA, or dodgy pills?

Because it sounds pretty vague... I have never heard of anybody killed by a pill (E), apart from that girl Leah whatsherface who everyone goes on and on about. I used to take E and MDMA in clubs and don't get how it is any more dangerous than alcohol. :confused:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Namaste wrote: »
    I was wondering... It says the deaths 'involve' the use of ecstasy... Does this mean the drug caused the death? or does it include poly drug use, drug driving, accidents? Does it mean MDMA, or dodgy pills?

It does include poly drug use.
    Because it sounds pretty vague... I have never heard of anybody killed by a pill (E), apart from that girl Leah whatsherface who everyone goes on and on about. I used to take E and MDMA in clubs and don't get how it is any more dangerous than alcohol. :confused:

The case of Leah Betts could have easilly been avoided. With all the press at the time stating how dehydration was a major risk with the use of ecstasy, she thought she'd play it safe by drinking a large mount of water.
    Drinkng far too much water is dangerous and this isn't helped with ecstasy being an anti-diuretic.
    Flood your system with too much water and your salt levels drop dramatically, to dangerous levels. This is more of a problem for women apparently.

Peope do die from taking ecstasy, but most of those deaths coudl have been avoided. What is clear is that ecstasy isn't as dangerous or as socially damaging as most drugs, especially not the drugs it's currently classed with. IT means the whoel classification system is a bit of a joke.

Britains most dangerous drugs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR3gIuWYnQo
    Weekender Offender 
    A study in Australia into "ecstacy deaths" revealed that very few of the bodies actually contained MDMA, and if they did, it was almost always (I think always, but I'll say "almost" just to cover my back) contained some other substance.
    get em into ya :D

drugs system is a joke, how you can even attempt to compare ecstasy to the likes of crack and heroin is beyond me.

Regulated doses of MDMA do have a very slight risk of death, however that isnt how the drug is currently used. When its mixed with caffiene, alcohol...etc. it adds to the risks.

Leah Betts was, sadly killed because of ignorance, she drank (was given) too much water and it killed her, she did not need to die.

The recreational use of MDMA is significantly safer than horse riding or mountain climbing.

Having said that though there does need to be more research on the possible long term harms, and it should never be used by those under 18.
    budda wrote: »
    The ACMD is gradually being moved to the side, membership has now changed which means the government can more easily put people who agree with it on the council.

But anyway, this whole thing is a smoke screen, MDMA shouldnt be down graded to Class B, the whole fucking system should be changed and relatively safe drugs such as MDMA, LSD, mushrooms, cannabis, ketamine and others should be legally sold in government run chemists.
    but if that were the case, things would be easier on the mental health system, and that would make things far too easy for the department of health
    but if that were the case, things would be easier on the mental health system, and that would make things far too easy for the department of health

Sorry I dont understand what you mean at all.
    Sorry I dont understand what you mean at all.

lol im sencing sarcasm
    lol im sencing sarcasm

If thats the case then I'm not sure I agree. I dont think that legal supply of recreational drugs would have very much impact on mental health services at all. Use is unlikely to change and anyway substance abuse is not often the primary reason why someone has mental health problems.
    If thats the case then I'm not sure I agree. I dont think that legal supply of recreational drugs would have very much impact on mental health services at all. Use is unlikely to change and anyway substance abuse is not often the primary reason why someone has mental health problems.

:yes: