Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Knitting

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ilipintt wrote: »
    On the Earth. I still don't see why it's offensive.

posting in a thread clearly full of people who enjoy knitting and calling them old maids and saying that knitting is strange? Of course that's offensive, what is wrong with you?!
    hehehe
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    How am I being offensive?
    Because I knit and am not an old maid. I take offense at being called an old maid because I am neither old, nor a maid.

But seeing as you have no sense of the world around you, I don't expect you to realise this :thumb:
    Hehehe. :heart:

For some reason there is nothing more painful than co. I don't know why but I find it to be the devils work. Last night I started another blanket that required 194 stitches co. I didn't get any farther and I can't even look at it today. I am angry at the blanket :p The other two I have started are done in strips and the most was only 64.
    What the Sam Hill is an old maid?
    lea_uk wrote: »
    What the Sam Hill is an old maid?

An old woman
    From Wikipedia...
    "A spinster (or old maid) is a woman or girl of marriageable age who has been unwilling or unable to marry, therefore has no children. Socially, the term is usually applied only to women who are regarded as beyond the customary age for marriage, and is generally considered an insulting term, more degrading than the term "bachelor" for males."
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    From Wikipedia...
    "A spinster (or old maid) is a woman or girl of marriageable age who has been unwilling or unable to marry, therefore has no children. Socially, the term is usually applied only to women who are regarded as beyond the customary age for marriage, and is generally considered an insulting term, more degrading than the term "bachelor" for males."

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! It's even more offensive than I first thought :D
    I'm not a fan of knitting (my grandma tried to teach me years ago but it went in one ear and out the other hehe) but I wouldn't think of insulting people who do like it.
    I haven't insulted anybody.
    I think the reactions prove otherwise.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

:lol:

You're so funny.
    Why am i funny?
    Why aren't you funny? :chin:
    I don't understand.
    Because I knit and am not an old maid. I take offense at being called an old maid because I am neither old, nor a maid.

But seeing as you have no sense of the world around you, I don't expect you to realise this :thumb:

Knitting just seems something that old people do. I never realised younger people do it.
    But obviously they do from this thread.
    I've finished a sock! And it fits! Its seriously funky. There's a few things I'm going to change for next time but it's a great easy pattern

Await pics!
    lea_uk wrote: »
    But obviously they do from this thread.

Yes, and I said I never knew until now.
    kangoo wrote: »
    I've finished a sock! And it fits! Its seriously funky. There's a few things I'm going to change for next time but it's a great easy pattern

Await pics!
    I'm scared of socks... I'm a very nervous knitter - I'm scared of crochet, cabling, "complicated" patterns, lacework.... I need to stop being scared of failure!
    Yes, and I said I never knew until now.
    But as this website is aimed at young people it would've been fair to have assumed that young knitters do exist after reading this thread before posting what you posted.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I'm scared of socks... I'm a very nervous knitter - I'm scared of crochet, cabling, "complicated" patterns, lacework.... I need to stop being scared of failure!

I was very scared of the socks but honestly if you follow the pattern step by step it's so easy! Just keep following the instructions, even when they look a bit weird just keep following and it'll work out :)

When I was knitting the heel I just knitted each row as it said and suddenly there was a perfectly shaped heel! Magic
    I said I'd go to the grocery store to avoid homework. And now I've done this to avoid going to the grocery store :p

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/remnants/1399/2726-2750#reply_form (post 2731)

Don't leave me hangin now :p

I just want to see all of your projects and I only stalk one so far. I love looking at other peoples stuff :D
    I've just joined in the round to make a hat! :hyper: And my first project on Ravelry got favourited.
    anyone knitted with wire? that looks quite fun!
    I've just signed up for an invitation to Ravelry, I feel like I'm trying to enter some secret society. :p

I'm just about ready to start my 'winter knitting'. I've been wrapping up some of my summer projects, I can't wait to get back into knitting.

I made leg warmers last winter and I've worn them pretty much non-stop since it startet getting cold. I think I'll do another pair while deciding what else I want to knit. :)
    anyone knitted with wire? that looks quite fun!

Of course! I made these cuff bracelets with 22 gauge craft wire and a mixture of glass, semi-precious and random beads. I actually prefer knitting with wire to knitting with yarn cause I can't drop any stitches and you block by giving it a bit of a stretch. Plus they're so tiny I finish them before I get bored. Awesome.
    WOW they're gorgeous! and nice depth of field ;)
    do you use normal needles? and what kind of size?

i want to make some chain mail, and see if i can make some chokers and if i feel really adventurous maybe a neck corset...(google it)