Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

how could i find funding or get a charity to support my group?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(sorry i'm sure this is in the wrong place, but i didn't think it fitted into the money section or the volunteering section)

I go to a group in north london which teaches relationship skills to those with neuro diversities (AS, high functioning autism, dyslexia, dyspraxia, tourettes ect). Its been really helpful, and is currently benefitting around 30-40 people (and more if there is a bigger venue) in each session. Its organised by a charity called outsiders which does work with mentaly/physicaly/emotionally disabled people in order for them to have functional friendships and relationships. Though, their funding for this particular project is having to be downsized, so instead of the cost of each session being £5 its now going to be £10. Most people doing to these events are not local to north london, thus they have to factor in travel costs, and also the cost of food beforehand and drinks. Seeing as nearly everyone there is unable to work or is only in part time employment the price soon wracks up, and a few people have had to drop out because they aren't going to be able to afford it (one guy is from southend and his train fare was £30 in itself, making his whole night out around £50 or more).

the organisers really want to try and access more funding, but because of the subject matter, and the fact that its a big mix of age groups as well, its been very difficult to secure any extra funding.

does anyone have any ideas as to what could be done or if there are any places we could access funding so we can keep it going and allow everyone that wants to come a place...

thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Where's it currently held? Do they pay a hire charge for the venue? One way to reduce the costs would be to approach churches who might give the group free/very very cheap room hire for that kind of thing.
    If you work with enough volunteers who are 24 or under then V might be worth trying?
    they're of all ages of 17/18 upwards. The problem with the venue is that it idealy needs to be held in a bar situation, because it helps recreate the atmosphere that someone would be using the skills they are learning at the group. Plus, because we are talking about relationship stuff, i think very few faith orientated venues would want us.

I've found a few options, but i'm not sure if any of them will pan out
    i dont know, but just wanted to say what a great idea!
    Local councils offer grants to support groups, you could also try National Lottery though you 'might' have to be a registered charity with them, unno.
    Plus, because we are talking about relationship stuff, i think very few faith orientated venues would want us.

I wouldn't be so sure about that :)

It sounds a really good group. Hope it goes well for you :)
    sounds like it could cheaper randomly visiting each others areas and going into a weatherspoons. What you're asking for is money to drink.
    what we need the money for is to cover admin cost and hire of a venue. the drinks we have to buy ourselves and that doesn't happen until after the session is finished. There is a co-ordinator that guides each session and talks about the different aspects of relationship and friendship and common problems face by the neurodiverse. its more of a workshop or a course than a booze up....
    what we need the money for is to cover admin cost and hire of a venue. the drinks we have to buy ourselves and that doesn't happen until after the session is finished. There is a co-ordinator that guides each session and talks about the different aspects of relationship and friendship and common problems face by the neurodiverse. its more of a workshop or a course than a booze up....

Can't you meet in a weatherspoons on a big table and set up a yahoo group?
    Cuts any admin cost.
    I don't know about London but where I live there are the secular community centres as well that are very cheap / free to use. I mean there is the community college, the village hall, etc...

If it was here where I am I would suggest asking the local co op as they like to get involved in the community and help out with things like that, but I don't know if they have any co ops or such in London. But you could always ask a localish supermarket if they would sponsor the group?
    Would also be worth asking around the venues, some may let you use function rooms they have on a week night if you're going to use the bar after the session.

If you think faith venues wouldn't want you rather than you need different facilities then it's worth asking. Lots of them are far more accepting that you think, and work on a principle of wanting to do to fellow man almost regardless of their beliefs.
    get in touch with the local media - newspapers etc and tell them about it. they might run an article saying the group needs funding. you never know who might read it.