Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Beta testing...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

As many of you will remember we're currently in the process of redesigning TheSite.org

As part of this we'll be bringing wider design elements of TheSite.org to the discussion boards and it'd be great if you can help us fix all the problems.

Here's what were doing -

All of the primary styles you can select at the bottom of the page will be integrated into the main design. These are Ruby Red, You Mook and, I think, Black and White.

The styles that are flexible (they change as you make the window wider or thiner) will stay roughly the same, with just a simple navigation bar at the top. This is because we don't want to lose your option to change the size or to have the page look like something you should be looking at when you're working :p

Anyway - if you want a glimpse of the future just select 'Beta style' at the bottom of the page. It really, really is Beta and we are fixing things every minute - so expect to see lots of problems. Feel free to post any problems you have though, especially as time goes on, so we can be certain we haven't missed anything.

So let me know what you think :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I like it, even though all i can see so far is that its been centred on the page.
    Oh and another thing. I've never really bothered with all the styles and that but i just looked at the "Blink" style and its hideous! Who came up with those colours?!
    Ha - they are years old man, well before my time - but trust me, they mean a lot to some people :)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I like it - although on a 1680x1050 monitor it doesnt stretch far enough - also some of the links at the top - such as http://vbulletin.thesite.org/multimedia/thesiteonmobilefaq don't work.
    I'm just about to check the beta out, but I'm extremely happy with the You mook theme :)

I would hate for it to go...
    JsT wrote: »
    I like it - although on a 1680x1050 monitor it doesnt stretch far enough - also some of the links at the top - such as http://vbulletin.thesite.org/multimedia/thesiteonmobilefaq don't work.

yeah man - always gonna be that balance - we need to lock the width to work with the nav bar, so it's extended but only to 1024. The 'wide' styles will always let you stretch the whol page.

And yeah, still working on all the links :)
    CoolMe wrote: »
    I'm just about to check the beta out, but I'm extremely happy with the You mook theme :)

I would hate for it to go...

Don't worry, we won't be losing any colour schemes - just integrating them with the community feel where they used a fixed width
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I was using Blink, for one simple reason: I love that shade of blue! Pink was a fair price to pay for it, I think.
    However it had a style problem, so nowadays I use the normal ruby red...

I'll give the beta a try.
    EDIT: That looks nice!
    I like the whole in the middle thing, not sure about the red :)
    It looks good.
    Am I right in thinking that vision in violet isn't going to be done in the same way because it's a widescreen one, but that it also isn't going anywhere? Cos it's the best one ;)
    I'm not too keen on it. A little too bright for me.
    Iike it a lot, though i worry as ive used vision in violet since i started here pretty much, im set in my ways :P
    I like it, but can I petition you for a 'blinding ruby red' variant in the new styles. I just prefer the white background when I'm reading posts :)
    I'll see what time available our CSS sorceress has, if she can manage it in this revision I'll get a Blinding version added.

KHSS you are right - vision in violet won't be changing and will stay.

Melian - I'm assuming you don't normally use the red style? If you did I'm surprised it seems brighter compared to large amounts of white on the right in the current style. Be cool to know how you current view the boards?
    Jim V wrote: »
    Melian - I'm assuming you don't normally use the red style? If you did I'm surprised it seems brighter compared to large amounts of white on the right in the current style. Be cool to know how you current view the boards?

I use You Mook.
    Cool, yeah - there will be a version of the style using You Mook as well - so that should be wider, feature the more subtle colours of Mook in the middle and have less of the white around the boards - so hopefully that'll work better for you :)
    Too wide!!! I cant use the wide versions now because I have real problems using wide forums, please try and keep one non-streched version.
    No problem - I don't think there will be any issue keeping a 'thin' style as well :)
    You Mook Wide 4 life :D
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    noog wrote: »
    You Mook Wide 4 life :D
    ^5
    No problem - I don't think there will be any issue keeping a 'thin' style as well :)

Thank you. Its probably only a problem because my eyesights so rubbish.
    I think its great, previously wider themes were not allied with website properly but now its quite good, well centered.
    A little suggestion about the "vBulletin Message" display.
    e.g; when there is no new post, a message display but it is aligned left, i think it should be centered. Check out the attached image show what i mean.
    Cheers, that's one of the errors we need people to point out - it should be centered as it is on all the other styles, we just need to get it fixed.
    I'd use the beta full time if it were Mook style :D
    Cheers, that's one of the errors we need people to point out - it should be centered as it is on all the other styles, we just need to get it fixed.
    Thanks and one more thing, basically it was not correct in previous styles as well and now i think if i mention that you may be able to correct that now.

Problem is that it should properly support safari browser (which in turn will also start supporting chrome :D). Check the attachment to check out the problem.

The area which i have highlighted i think it should not be here and i don't know if its the problem with your theme or in vbulletin that it is not taking care of that.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Hm, those are supposed to appear as menus on top of the thread, the options only appear if you click on them.
    Maybe that's a problem with chrome.
    Hm, those are supposed to appear as menus on top of the thread, the options only appear if you click on them.
    Maybe that's a problem with chrome.
    Basically its problem with both safari and chrome as they are using the same base.
    I'm not encountering the problem - Safari
    It has problem with safari, check out the attachment.