Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Removing Stitches

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya Guys,

Well on friday night i ended up with 5 Stitches in the side of my face, now im trying to work out where to get them removing, im pretty sure the doc said 7 days which would be saturday so i dont think anything will be open, i cant go to my own docs mon-fri becaue i work away from home during the week, does anyone have any idea how i can take them out myself?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Taking them out yourself would be very silly.

Do you have a minor injuries centre, or a walk in? Walk in took one of my sets out of stiches.
    NHS Walk in centres are open weekends, they'd take them out.
    I wouldn't attept taking out yourself, you'd end up with a possible scar.
    Did they not arrange for either a District Nurse to visit you at home or for you to go to them?

If they had then generally at the weekend they will visit you at home due to most surgeries being closed. Phone up the doctors and ask to speak to the DN's and see what they advise :)

Or if thats not much help ring back the hospital and they may be of help.

And don't take them out yourself! You could end up leaving a bit of stitch in there and that could become infected and all nasty!!
    well i droped a call to my doc who said that theres nothing in this area and to go to a&e on saturday, but i dont feel right about going to a&e for something this simple, going see what i can do
    If there's nothing in the area then the A&E will have a minor injuries section and be used to doing it so don't feel it's a waste of their time.

Don't try and do it yourself, there's an art to getting stitches out well and avoiding further complications.
    The hospital my mum works at has an on-call GP in A&E to deal with all the minor cases. Go in the morning/early afternoon and explain that your GP cant help you and you cant go in the week because of work.

Did A&E put the stiches in? In that case they should be able to get them out again. Its really not advisable to take them out yourself.