Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Helping people with learning disabilities

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I spent 3 years as a Citizen Advocate giving support to a man with a moderate learning disability. Befriending him and being his voice with managers making decisions about his housing in Social Services.

Who has worked or is working as a volunteer in the field of people having Downs Syndrome, autism and behavioural/learning diffiuculties?

It is the sort of voluntary work that often involves one to one relationships and can be rewarding. Maybe as a way to get full time paid employment of this type or a route to pick up good skills for a related career. One of my fellow Advocates was training to be a barrister and the work was hence related.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My mum did this for several moths I think. (work)
    i am a..i guess you would call it a 'careworker' but what i basically do is take a 21 year old boy with downs syndome out once a fortnight if i can. we go to places like the cinema, out for something to eat, or sometimes we go to a youth club for young adults with special needs. i just get paid his expenses, like say we go to the cinema social services pay for his ticket but i pay for my own. i dont do it for the money though i really enjoy it, hes a love. :]
    I have volunteered with young people who have disabilities a few years ago... I also was an appropriate adult.

I have dyspraxia myself.