Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Double pointed needles (KNITTING ALERT!)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What the FUCK is up with these things??? Is this what hell is!? I can't work out what the fuck is going on, or which way I'm supposed to be facing. They're all over the place, I nearly poked myself in the eye with one! The yarn keeps stretching between the needles although I'm trying to knit the first stitch tightly, actually this is the main problem (apart from changing direction accidentally argh)

Please tell me the first time is impossible but then suddenly you become a pro. IT'S SERIOUSLY STRESSING ME OUT!!!

(For the anti-knitting squad - no complaining because I put a warning in the title so if you've opened the thread and now you're bored then you have no-one to blame except yourself :p)

Comments

• Options
    pacman_knit.png

My own handy work :)

Psst, I like the Pac man's
    [/SIZE]
  • Options
    Yep i do blame myself .. buuut still!! I think its time to put the needles down love :p
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Yep i do blame myself .. buuut still!! I think its time to put the needles down love :p

I knew you'd be straight in this thread!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I knew you'd be straight in this thread!

Haha .. i laugh .. but sigh .. im bored :(

Im not complaining though! :p
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    They are extremely fiddly. Once you get through the first 3/4 rounds, it *does* become easier. Honest.

If you don't like it, you could try magic loop instead. Look on knittinghelp.com for a tutorial.
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    pacman_knit.png
    I hate to break it to you, but they are crocheted.
  • Options
    I've never used them and don't think I ever will. They seem like they would be a pain in the ass. I always use two circular needles for everything. Works a charm! http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques In fact I do everything on circs. They seem more comfortable and light, especially when you get to the long metal ones.
  • Options
    They are extremely fiddly. Once you get through the first 3/4 rounds, it *does* become easier. Honest.

Yep once I got past a few rounds it was easier and the stitches were more inclined to stay on the needles! The first few rounds were a nightmare, and it was very difficult to keep it laid out so the stitches were on the outside of the needle and the join on the inside, especially because the yarn was stretching between the two needles. Any advice on this?

It also seems to be a hell of a lot slower to make progress than straight knitting. Does it get to the point where its fun to knit on DP or is it always a chore?!
  • Options
    Yep once I got past a few rounds it was easier and the stitches were more inclined to stay on the needles! The first few rounds were a nightmare, and it was very difficult to keep it laid out so the stitches were on the outside of the needle and the join on the inside, especially because the yarn was stretching between the two needles. Any advice on this?

It also seems to be a hell of a lot slower to make progress than straight knitting. Does it get to the point where its fun to knit on DP or is it always a chore?!

To help with tension and stopping ladders on your knitting, make sure that you really pull the first two stitches you knit when you swap needles. It will make a difference.

I, personally, like DPNs. However, I hate the first few rounds. I normally knit the first 3/4 rounds on straight needles, and then join. It prevents a twisted cast on round. I find myself whizzing round the DPNs at the same speed as straights.

Don't give up. Look at all the wonderful things you can knit in the round - socks, gloves, hats ...
  • Options
    use circular needles.... i hate DPNs
  • Options
    use circular needles.... i hate DPNs

I want to knit small things though.
  • Options
    I want to knit small things though.

You can. You can use circs and the magic loop. If you go on knittinghelp.com there is a tutorial. You can knit anything in the round on a single circ.

Or, you could use 2 smaller circs. Again, I think there is a tutorial on KH.

Sorry, too lazy to find the links.
  • Options
    Update!

I've mastered it! I was scared of dpn and of socks but they're both quite easy! I messed up the decreases on the heel though because I've never done ssk before and I did it the wrong way and got very confused, hence the funny looking bump on the bottom. But chuffed with myself! Gonna start a proper size sock now!

Check it out...
  • Options
    Update!

I've mastered it! I was scared of dpn and of socks but they're both quite easy! I messed up the decreases on the heel though because I've never done ssk before and I did it the wrong way and got very confused, hence the funny looking bump on the bottom. But chuffed with myself! Gonna start a proper size sock now!

Check it out...

Yaaaay! Well done. I told you they were both easy :p

And well done for sticking at it. I am getting cross with my knitting at the moment :mad:
  • Options
    Yaaaay! Well done. I told you they were both easy :p

And well done for sticking at it. I am getting cross with my knitting at the moment :mad:

Hehe why? I'm always cross with it lol
  • Options
    Hehe why? I'm always cross with it lol

I'm currently doing a lace stole and on the RS I have to k1, yo, k1, yo, k1 in the same stitch and then on the WS I have to p5tog and I am finding it rather tricky. My needles are too blunt :(

But i'll get there :)
  • Options
    Glad you got the hang of it!
  • Options
    I'm currently doing a lace stole and on the RS I have to k1, yo, k1, yo, k1 in the same stitch and then on the WS I have to p5tog and I am finding it rather tricky. My needles are too blunt :(

:shocking: wtf lol

I don't understand yarn over. Actually I don't understand a lot of it but I'm learning lol
  • Options
    aww, that sock is so cute. :D Glad you finished!

I made a set of christmas gifts with doubled pointed needles last winter and it never really got enjoyable for me. It go easier, yeah, but I wasn't jumping in joy doing it. ;) I think I made like 5 pairs of wrist warmers so 10 total. I've not touched the needles since.
  • Options
    Hehe I've got a pair of wristwarmers on the go (done half a one) and I'm about to start the heel flap of my first sock! Await pictards soon (unless it goes horribly wrong!)
  • Options
    righhhttt
    a bit late and someones probaly said it already
    BUT anyway

U KNIT! isn't that what old ladies do for MY CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVERY BLOODY YEARR!
    "ohh yes grandma, its a lovely knited jumper, whats the pattern on the front?"
    "oh that? iits a reindeer"
    "so it is, how did i miss it" COS IT LOOKED LIKE A BLOODY TURD ON A STICK
    THATS Y

soorryyyyy, me smoked some funny things in a car back from college, :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    #My needles are too blunt :(

THATS A TAD DODGY! :DD:lol: :lol:
  • Options
    curly_boy wrote: »
    THATS A TAD DODGY! :DD:lol: :lol:

:yeees:

:impissed:
  • Options
    righhhttt
    BUT anyway

U KNIT! isn't that what old ladies do for MY CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVERY BLOODY YEARR!
    THATS Y

soorryyyyy, me smoked some funny things in a car back from college, :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    :rolleyes:.
  • Options
    righhhttt
    BUT anyway

THATS Y

EDIT: was a bit annoyed last night.

Can I just say that's pretty ungrateful of you, I like having things that people have made the effort to make for me (and I would LURVE a reindeer jumper)

Seriously though, it would be nice if the knitting threads weren't full of people saying how shit it is. There's not many threads, and there's quite a few self taught knitters on thesite so it's nice to be able to ask questions. People don't get dissed for having other hobbies so why should we? It's getting pretty old now

And yes there probably are more older people who knit, but that's only because our generation have got so used to having everything else done for us that not a lot of people can actually appreciate the feeling of having made something you've designed and crafted yourself. I think it's good that there's becoming more young knitters, otherwise the craft will die out!