Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Rice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can someone explain me what th benefits are of the different types of rice?
Say the shop has wild, brown and wholegrain rice - which ones would be healthiest to choose?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The benfits of choosing to eat none of the above would be saving your money and not having to eat riceb ut, that wasn't really what you were after, was it? lol
    This is a guess, but i would say wholegrain...
    katralla wrote: »
    The benfits of choosing to eat none of the above would be saving your money and not having to eat riceb ut, that wasn't really what you were after, was it? lol

To be honest, saving money AND the calories is never a bad idea :p
    Read this: http://www.evitamins.com/healthnotes.asp?ContentID=2019006 Rice is a good product, it's just a shame it taste like shit when cooked wrong.
    Must alwas be cooked wrong when I eat it...
    katralla wrote: »
    Must alwas be cooked wrong when I eat it...

How do you cook it?
    I don't...
    Oh....
    chuckle
    Har di har.
    It's alright, I won't give up the day job.
    White - quick and easy to cook, tastes nice and is easy to fry. Bugger all nutrition so if it's a staple you may go batty by the time you are 60.

Brown - takes at least 30 minutes to cook and is firm and kind of nutty. It can make delicious risottos that are a lot more healty than the versions made with Arborio or Carnaroli. It contains lots of nutrients, low GI carbs, fibre etc so it's a good staple.
    minimi38 wrote: »
    White - quick and easy to cook, tastes nice and is easy to fry. Bugger all nutrition so if it's a staple you may go batty by the time you are 60.

Brown - takes at least 30 minutes to cook and is firm and kind of nutty. It can make delicious risottos that are a lot more healty than the versions made with Arborio or Carnaroli. It contains lots of nutrients, low GI carbs, fibre etc so it's a good staple.

I have brown rice that only takes 20 mins to cook, it depends on the brand for some reason. I also have a packet that is supposed to take 40 mins but it's usually ready after 30