Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is it OK to hit a girl?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kangoo wrote: »
    My point was that women don't have the same force, not that their hands are smaller lol

You have to meet my girlfriend...she'd beat the fuck outta me. I don't believe in hitting anyone but if worse comes to worse then anyone's game.
    Namaste wrote: »
    I don't think violence is ever ok.

In general, men have more upper body strength than women. You could look at it in the same context as hitting somebody who has a disability, or who is aged, or a lot smaller than you. I think that the fact is that it is so relative that it's probably best to avoid violence altogether unless for self defense.

Wise up, my girlfriend would beat ya up for saying that. :p
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Women? all women?

Women that think that because they're the 'physically weaker sex' they immune from retaliation yes?

But it doesn't stop at women. I'm not being sexist. If you hit somebody then you've made a choice to take things to another level, and whoever you are you should expect that person to reply in kind.
    It's logical that anybody weaker should have the sense not to initiate violence with somebody who's cleary stronger.

I've been hit by women several times and I've not lashed out back, but that's simply because I've managed to keep cool. If a women were to hurt me enough for me to lose my temper, for instance if she kicked me in bollocks, then I wouldn't have a problem striking her back.
    Chivalry has fuck all to do with it, you want equality, there it is.

I'm not in favour of beating the shit out of any woman that dares to hit me, most violent acts commited by men against women are wrong but not all. I'm saying if somebody chooses to go down a certain route then they should be prepared for treatment in kind.

ShyBoy wrote:
    It's about swallowing your pride and just trying to diffuse the situation. There are few circumstances where punching them will help calm everyone down.

Depends on the situation. You have to be able to read it. Come up against a bloke with a few drinks in him, that want to fill you in and back down isn't really an option. Backing down just gives him conformation that you won't put up a fight. Intimidation and a smack before you get one is often the best way to defend yourself.

Reading this you might think I'm some thug but I'm not. I willl try to defuse a situation but not the extent where I'll stitch myself up in future.
    Violence is wrong, but it is sometimes a nesessity and can be justified I think.
    Weekender Offender 
    Jim V wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm sure this isn't what a couple of posters are intending to imply but the combination of saying giving someone a slap can stop something escalating and that all women should know better is standing to sound pretty unpleasant.

To go from people being perfectly entitled to defending themselves to, well to what? A good slap will teach her a lesson and stop her arguing or moaning about the dishes? I've seen plenty of women in drop in centers with teeth missing who've tried to justify it as 'well he was just calming me down' or with bloodshot blackened eyes saying 'you know how I get...'

I'm sure that isn't what anyone is starting to imply but if people are just going to start posting throwaway comments about the usefulness of violence then it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

But as I said, I'm sure that justifying violence to stop an argument even though no one has done anything to you and all the violence and abuse that has justified isn't what people are defending - it's just that it's worth pointing out how close some posters are getting to sounding like that.

With any subject that's got so much tied into it it's just worth being really clear about what you mean.

this really wasnt what i was meaning. i wasnt saying its ok to hit a girl more of its not never ok to hit a girl if you get me. violence isnt alwasy wrong. its rarely right but isnt always wrong. self defense being the main reason where it would be acceptable. i would never EVER hit a girl before she has seriously injured me and is continueing to injure me. (stamping on my head, kicking me in the balls more than once ect you get the idea lol)
    if that tv show had a very weedy guy on it rather than a women then i bet the audience wouldnt jump up when the guy slapped him back.

if a guy is tiny and slaps a huge guy he deserves what he gets, but when a guy slaps a women in self defense then he is suddenly a dick? im confused.
    oh yeah for all of you that say women are harmless and weaki meet my kickboxing instructor. she is julie kitchen the current womens world champion and can kick the shit out of her husband who is built like a fridge. i know she is a minority but still you have to see her. SHES FUCKING MENTAL! lol
    The problem is that a man is much stronger
    I think it's more socially accepted for a woman to hit a man because they're unlikely to do too much damage (without a weapon or anything) where as a man could do some serious damage and could easily defend himself, where as a woman wouldn't be able to.
    What completely ridiculous assumptions! That's like saying all blacks are faster than whites, or whites are more intelligent than blacks... it doesn't apply in every case and there's considerable overlap. I'd say easily 1 in 5 girls would win against me in a fight!
    dunc2008 wrote: »
    I'd say easily 1 in 5 girls would win against me in a fight!

Yeah out of Girls Aloud, I would say Cheryl Cole has the best right hook :D
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Bloody hell, I waffle on when I'm pissed. :o

Bassically. Violence is wrong, but it can be a nessisity and sometimes it is justifiable.
    Men should generally avoid hitting women even in retaliation because they are generally physically weaker, but women shouldn't rely on that.
    Hurt a bloke enough and you should expect a slap back either as a natural reaction or action of self defence.
    Weekender Offender 
    I was expecting the clip to be from Jerry Springer - not Indian TV! :eek:

Anyway, wommen should not slap men .. men should not slap women either. Any violence is deplorable - however, I do think the woman on the clip used bad judgement.
    Can't say I'm very enthusiastic about these "more socially acceptable for women to hit men" arguments. Simply, it's not ok to hit anyone, regardless of gender, unless in self defence situations when someone's trying to do something to you that's likely to cause physical damage.
    I would never hit a girl .. only if she was coming at me with a knife. ..
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Wise up, my girlfriend would beat ya up for saying that. :p

But it's true though. A woman could still do damage, especially if she knew how to...

But really... I'd love for a woman to dominate me.

jk
    A woman could still do damage, especially if she knew how to...

Like one of these two?

56916599_4a06b85d8f.jpg

Although I'd probably quite like to be pinned down by any of the Crossfit women :D