Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is it OK to hit a girl?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Before you answer, watch this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DihPUhdTu0s

In this reality TV show, the female contestent slaps the male contestent (after spending a minute verbally abusing him, not showin in the vid). As an instant immediate reaction, he slaps her back. And then gets beaten the shit out of by 40 people.

Personally that kind of retaliation I find perfectly natural - if I were to be hit, as an immediate reaction without me even thinking I would hit back. Yet the laws of the land nearly everywhere have hitting a guy back not an offense, hitting a girl back a serious crime with potential imprisonment. In this day and age of 'gender equality', with many girls as strong/powerful as guys, is this really fair? Am glad I've never been smacked/punched by a girl...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally i would not hit a woman ever even if she hit me first.

I can see why he hit her back, she was being a grade A bitch and i love how she stands milking the audience like 'omg the brute hit me!!'

Hitting women is a big nono for me, but i can see why people do it - when seriously provoked and if there is a time to hit anybody its right after they have hit you, violence breeds violence and when someone hits someone else they should expect to get hit back.
    I don't think it's ok to hit anyone really, regardless of gender.
    Indeed, hitting anyone isnt nice, but in my eyes gender is not relevant. If someone (boy or girl) did something which i think would piss me off enough to hit them (would take a lot), or having to defend myself, then yeah i'd hit them.
    It wasn't self defence mind you it was retaliation. You can tell by the guy's reaction afterwards he was pretty upset by it which is something a lot of the time people don't realise - that guys can get upset by being hit just as much as women.

I wouldn't have retaliated though because it's an 'eye for an eye' situation. But then just walking off the stage she would have had her rudeness and use of violence justified. Stuck between a rock and a hard place really.

What really should have happened is that the audience should have ran in and grabbed the woman and said why the hell did you hit him just like they reacted to him.
    The problem is that a man is much stronger, you can see the slap he gives her is much harder than the one she dealt - it nearly knocks her over! I think it's very hypocritical of her to be upset by it though cos she proper asked for it! I think it's more socially accepted for a woman to hit a man because they're unlikely to do too much damage (without a weapon or anything) where as a man could do some serious damage and could easily defend himself, where as a woman wouldn't be able to.

I think its proper shit though that when the woman gets slapped a load of people get up on the stage and go mental, but if the man hadn't retaliated then they would have all just sat there, and probably laughed
    No, I don't think it is okay to hit a girl, but then I don't think it is okay for girls to hit men either. In that situation (and god knows what sort of game show that is) it looked to me like she took things one step too far and paid the price for doing so, you can kind of understand the guy's reaction but neither of them were in the right as far as I'm concerned.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I personally think the only real excuse to hit someone is if they hit you first, regardless of gender. (And of course, situations like "Got to knock him/her out before he/she kills that one").
    I personally think the only real excuse to hit someone is if they hit you first, regardless of gender. (And of course, situations like "Got to knock him/her out before he/she kills that one").

I think the only excuse is if you need to defend yourself. Like in that video, he wasn't defending himself just retaliating. Both out of order. I ersonally think there should be zero tolerance to violence. At my uni one of the union reps got drunk and hit a guy and there was a big debate over whether she should leave or not. She was basically justifying her use of violence based on the fact she was a woman so it's 'not as bad'. In the end she got kicked out of her position tho based on a vote by the students.
    Sock it too her, she asked for it.
    The fact the woman is carrying a whip in her hand tells you this show is weird - I'm pretty appalled such a thing would be made into a TV show

She hit him without any reason or warning and he reacted within a split second .. All these guys that say they'd NEVER hit a woman are talking crap because they've not been in every situation possible.

All this rubbish about women not being as strong as men so can't do much damage is rubbish too .. if someone with a smaller hand hits you with the same force as someone with a bigger hand then force is more concentrated into a smaller area so can do plenty of damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgKI9JLW3Js&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcLCTxTUwos&feature=related

The question being asked and the TV show clip don't match - It's a VERY general question with an added video clip - obviously this is some kind of sick TV show - if the show normally involves being slapped and the guy had seen the show before or was forewarned then he shouldn't have hit her back because he knew it might be a possibility and a normal part of the show, but if the show is supposed to be about verbal abuse and the woman just took it upon herself to hit the guy then she just got back what she dealt out.

Anyone that goes out and randomly slaps and punches people should not be upset when someone hits back .. and society shouldn't treat a woman hitting a man any differently from a man hitting a woman. If women want equal rights then they should except equal punishment for the same offenses.

As far as this TV Show goes there's obviously more to this story then was shown in the original clip.
    DG wrote: »

All this rubbish about women not being as strong as men so can't do much damage is rubbish too .. if someone with a smaller hand hits you with the same force as someone with a bigger hand then force is more concentrated into a smaller area so can do plenty of damage.

My point was that women don't have the same force, not that their hands are smaller lol

But I'm not using that to justify it, I'm just saying that's why its seen as worse when a man hits a woman
    she asked for it.

Its not like he beat her up for a slap. He just gave exactly back what she did to him
    kangoo wrote: »
    My point was that women don't have the same force, not that their hands are smaller lol

But I'm not using that to justify it, I'm just saying that's why its seen as worse when a man hits a woman

So just because they are smaller on average then it's less wrong for a women to hit a guy? So the shorter and smaller you are, the less wrong it is for someone to attack someone else?
    So just because they are smaller on average then it's less wrong for a women to hit a guy? So the shorter and smaller you are, the less wrong it is for someone to attack someone else?

I meant its more accepted socially for a woman to hit a man because of this, which is true. I'm not saying I agree with it - I think its wrong.

In my previous post I wrote acceptable instead of accepted by mistake so I can see why it looks like I think its ok for a woman to hit a man. I'll edit it now
    Hitting ANYONE is wrong, full stop.
    the guy in question want reALLY much bigger than the woman
    DG wrote: »
    She hit him without any reason or warning and he reacted within a split second .. All these guys that say they'd NEVER hit a woman are talking crap because they've not been in every situation possible

I have had a girl hitting me on the head with a stiletto heel and it fucking hurts when they do that, ive had women bite me and that hurts like hell too, ive been slapped kicked and punched by my ex and i never ever hit her back not once. I grabbed her ears to stop her doing it when she was really bad but never swung for her.

A lot of people see men and women as the same, i do not and i wouldn't hit a woman, restraining yes - hitting no.

But ofc if you want to get into every situation like if i was getting kicked to death by 12 amazon warriors and the lost city of gold was between me and giving grea mama juju a slug in the mouth i recon i would do it. I just would not hit a woman in any concievable way.
    No, it's not okay for a man to hit a woman. Neither is it okay for a woman to hit a man, or a man to hit a man, or a woman to hit a woman. Nor is it acceptable for a transsexual to hit a man, a man to hit a transsexual, a woman to hit a transsexual, a transsexual to hit a woman. And it certainly isn't acceptable for a man to hit a hermaphrodite, a hermaphrodite to hit a man, a woman to hit a hermaphrodite, a hermaphrodite to hit a woman, a transsexual to hit a hermaphrodite or a hermaphrodite to hit a transsexual.

Does that make things clearer? :p
    I have had a girl hitting me on the head with a stiletto heel and it fucking hurts when they do that, ive had women bite me and that hurts like hell too, ive been slapped kicked and punched by my ex and i never ever hit her back not once. I grabbed her ears to stop her doing it when she was really bad but never swung for her.

According to the statistics men are just as likely to suffer the kind of domestic violence you have outlined there as women, as a side point.

But I do think he was just as bad because it wasn't a reflex it was retaliation. I've been slapped and punched and you can still control what you're doing. I've never hit anyone actually, let alone a girl.
    Whilst the context isn't that relevant to the overall issue - here is some more detail about the show and the guy's viewpoint -

The show is Dadagiri - a kind of hazing meets fear factor reality show. To quote -
    Bindass brings to you 'Dadagiri'- a show where four daring students revisit the horrors of being bullied on the first day of college by surviving three dadas in three rounds and compete against each other for a winning sum of Rs. 50,000 in cash.
    - for more details head over here -
    http://www.india-forums.com/tellybuzz/article.asp?id=2640

And here's the response to the video from the guy, make of it what you will -
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/TV_Buzz/Ravi_is_upset/articleshow/3436967.cms
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    she asked for it.

Its not like he beat her up for a slap. He just gave exactly back what she did to him

:yes:

I don't see a problem with what he did.
    He had far more reason to hit than she ever did.

Somebody hits me hard enough to hurt me and I'llk them back regardless of sex. It's not soemthing I think about, it just a natrural reaction for me.
    Weekender Offender 
    I don't think violence is ever ok.

In general, men have more upper body strength than women. You could look at it in the same context as hitting somebody who has a disability, or who is aged, or a lot smaller than you. I think that the fact is that it is so relative that it's probably best to avoid violence altogether unless for self defense.
    I don't think it's ok to hit anyone really, regardless of gender.

:yes: Violence is not acceptable regardless of who throws the first "punch"
    Regardless of flowery 'violence is wrong' idealism, a sharp slap can stop a situation escalating.
    Regardless of flowery 'violence is wrong' idealism, a sharp slap can stop a situation escalating.

Somebody with sense.

Fuck whether it's acceptable. Violence is a very natural reaction to many situations is often a necessity.

This situation is a little odd. It seems like a pretty dumb show. If slapping the contestants is indeed part of the rules then it's a foolish show. Still, I find it hard to critisize somebody for retaliating to being bitch slapped like that. It's a very natural reaction when threatened.

Violence has it's place and shouldn't be dismissed so easilly. It's without a doubt the best way to defend yourself and others, words don't stop fists that are already flying, and even if violence hasn't yet been initiated it's worth considering.
    'It takes a a bigger man to walk away' - What pillock came up with that one? I usually find the people with such attitiudes are those that have suffered the most at the hands of bullies. It's takes a bigger man to stand up for himself and make himself less of a soft target.
    Weekender Offender 
    Namaste wrote: »
    In general, men have more upper body strength than women.

Well then women should have more sense.
    Weekender Offender 
    I grabbed her ears to stop her doing it when she was really bad but never swung for her.

:lol:
    LOL!!!!

i have been properly attcked by an ex. i have long hair and she grabbed my hair on each side with her hands and kneed me in the face while wripping out my hair. was not fun i will tell you now. a guy finally restrained her but took a boot to the balls for me. another guy had skin bitten off his arm by her! trying to restrain the bitch he still has scares to this day and you can see all the individual tooth marks lol she was fucking phycotic. i didnt hit her but looking back i wish i had broken her fucking nose! i am actually a passivist but im not naive enough to say that violence has no place. i dont think gender is anything to do with it tbh although i would probably refrain from hitting a girl for longer than i would refrain from hitting a guy but thats just the way society teaches us to behave. i am a passivist honest:angel: :angel:
    Skive wrote: »
    Well then women should have more sense.
    Women? all women?
    To be honest, I'm sure this isn't what a couple of posters are intending to imply but the combination of saying giving someone a slap can stop something escalating and that all women should know better is standing to sound pretty unpleasant.

To go from people being perfectly entitled to defending themselves to, well to what? A good slap will teach her a lesson and stop her arguing or moaning about the dishes? I've seen plenty of women in drop in centers with teeth missing who've tried to justify it as 'well he was just calming me down' or with bloodshot blackened eyes saying 'you know how I get...'

I'm sure that isn't what anyone is starting to imply but if people are just going to start posting throwaway comments about the usefulness of violence then it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

But as I said, I'm sure that justifying violence to stop an argument even though no one has done anything to you and all the violence and abuse that has justified isn't what people are defending - it's just that it's worth pointing out how close some posters are getting to sounding like that.

With any subject that's got so much tied into it it's just worth being really clear about what you mean.
    Skive wrote: »
    'It takes a a bigger man to walk away' - What pillock came up with that one? I usually find the people with such attitiudes are those that have suffered the most at the hands of bullies. It's takes a bigger man to stand up for himself and make himself less of a soft target.

It's about swallowing your pride and just trying to diffuse the situation. There are few circumstances where punching them will help calm everyone down.