Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is it disguised sexism? Healthcare

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We do have it good and yes I would expect any man to give up a seat in the boat for any woman. I'm sorry that men have become so wimpish that this seems a shock. I always find it amusing when men whinge about how we're so badly treated to be honest - which seems to be forgetting what being a man is.
  • Options
    We do have it good and yes I would expect any man to give up a seat in the boat for any woman. I'm sorry that men have become so wimpish that this seems a shock. I always find it amusing when men whinge about how we're so badly treated to be honest - which seems to be forgetting what being a man is.

I'm sorry, but this is the kind of "jackman" argumentation that can't really be taken seriously, and you actually help to improve Shyboys point of view pushing when pushing forward such opinions. Don't you see how you talk about "being a man"?. The definition of manlyness and who's got the right to define being a man is the very core of this debate. As S said, gender roles still play an important role in the process of "shaping" men and women as to what behaviour is expected from a man versus a woman. And while women's role has been evolving into being more flexible with regards to what women are "allowed" to do, the same is not true for men, at least not to the same extent. For example, too many people are still being negative to men on parental leave, men working as nurses and so on. The list is long, but it's jut not the same as whinging about bad treatment but being conscious about gender roles and what can be done to handle gender biased bigotry -for both sexes.
  • Options

I'm not whinging I'm talking about how predetermined gender roles for men are seemingly fine. If I'm wrong then fine but nobody can get paper evidence and say 'look, you're wrong' - they just laugh it away. It's one of those things society won't even let be discussed. I don't even know what you mean by 'forgetting what a man is'.

Also 'I'm sorry men have become so wimpish' is another reference really to how we are not allowed to be cowards :/. If a woman sees a mouse and shrieks its cute if a guy sees a mouse and shrieks he will be shunned. Actually I don't think it's as extreme as that but that seems to be the effect you are implying, it's ok for one but not the other.

edit: T-Kay put's it much better than me :blush:
  • Options
    i´m probably completley off topic now but anyway...

the reasons i think are more along the lines of the fact that guys are less likely to uptake prescreening and other such preventative programmes unlike women who seem to be less worried about going along and finding out what may or may not be wrong with them.

how many young men would go to to doctors once every so often to have their balls fondled and then ultrascanned? apart from a couple i know who have found lumps, i doubt very many. like how many older men would go and have a finger or implement shoved up their backside for testing if they have prostate issues. Men seem to take a different attitude towards health issues, opposed to women.

i know that i will go and have STI tests every six months, unless i haven´t been sexually active since the previous one.- that shows you how bad my sex life is atm. I know that i´ll go and have my smears every however often once i start having to go (which i think will be in the next 18 months).

i think most women seem to be far proactive with their health than men, and thus the NHS has acted upon this. I don´t think its down to inequality.

but then i´m a feminist, so what the fuck do i know? :p
  • Options
    i´m probably completley off topic now but anyway...
    No, you arent :)
    the reasons i think are more along the lines of the fact that guys are less likely to uptake prescreening and other such preventative programmes unlike women who seem to be less worried about going along and finding out what may or may not be wrong with them.

how many young men would go to to doctors once every so often to have their balls fondled and then ultrascanned? apart from a couple i know who have found lumps, i doubt very many. like how many older men would go and have a finger or implement shoved up their backside for testing if they have prostate issues. Men seem to take a different attitude towards health issues, opposed to women.
    Yes, I partly agree. But what would be intersting to find out, is why many men aren't as prone to go see a doctor as opposed to many women. Could it be that men are also subjected to a gender biased upbringing more than we'd like to admit? Many men still hear mantras along the lines of "be a man, you're a man and should handle it yourself" when having physical issues, and I do think that in the long run this is off putting for many men in terms of the desire seek medical support.
    i know that i will go and have STI tests every six months, unless i haven´t been sexually active since the previous one.- that shows you how bad my sex life is atm. I know that i´ll go and have my smears every however often once i start having to go (which i think will be in the next 18 months).

i think most women seem to be far proactive with their health than men, and thus the NHS has acted upon this. I don´t think its down to inequality.
    Yes, seemingly it appears so, but the question remains why. It's not really fair to just explain it as not being proactive enough without trying to do more research on how and to what extent men are shaped according to gender roles. Luckily, feminism has come a long way to do just that with women, but I do think the same hasn't happened to men just yet. Of course, more research is needed, up here "feministic research from a male perspective" is starting as we speak, but there's still a long way to go.
    but then i´m a feminist, so what the fuck do i know? :p
  • Options

T-kay pretty much summed up your points but I just thought to point out I'm not referring to inequality which I believe refers to opportunity but inequity which refers to provision. That's not a perfect description but I hope you get my point.

My uni chips in: http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/che/pdf/tp27.pdf

"There is horizontal equity when individuals with the same needs consume the same amount of health care. There is vertical equity when individuals with different levels of need consume appropriately different amounts of health care."

i.e. equity -> need is directly proportional to consumption of healthcare

Equality pretty much as I know just wants things to be the same i.e. if it was equal men and women would be 50/50 but that is probably not equitible because it's not accounting for the needs of women vs men. Although there are also non-need factors that contribute to inequality like income levels, ethnic background, education etc.

edit: based on this thread really I want to get hold of and read some of Warren Farrell's books because his attitude is basically the same as mine i.e. remove predetermined gender roles