Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you support the Blind or the Sighted?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/09/18/korea.blind.masseurs/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Not sure myself but don't think someone should be banned from doing a job they like just because they can see.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think the main issue would be why is this the only career opportunity open to blind people in South Korea? In principle, I agree that all jobs should be open to all people based on their ability to do the job, but in a country where the infrastructure isn't in place for blind people to be able to do other jobs (and it might be, I don't know), then I think have this "blind only" career is a decent compromise.
    If they're capable of doing the job, then sight/lack of sight shouldn't come into it.
    i think saying that blind people can only do this job is quite prejudice in itself. however it is hard as this is a popular job amog the blind but i disagree that this is "the only" carrer option. i dont think its fair for a sited person to not be allowed to become a massues (sp?).
    I think they fail to see the bigger picture.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I think they fail to see the bigger picture.

:lol::lol: that was below the belt...