Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Account number! Know it shouldn't be here...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
But I need an answer as quick as possible.

I need to send my future landlord a copy of my bank statement to show that I have before paid my rent bullshit.
Either way, I was wondering if it was alright for him to see the account number or if I should cover that on the statement. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I would say cover it up...
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Splodgey wrote: »
    I would say cover it up...

Really? I would say it's alright - I'm curious to know why you'd cover it up though as maybe I'm a bit naieve about these things.
  • Options
    I've deleted other account numbers of other private people who appear on my transactions as I don't know if it could be 'dangerous' in any way. But I thought he will probably see my account number anyways when I pay my rent?
    Just wanted to make sure, as I am quite scared about identity fraud... and generally just someone being able to get into my account and taking the little bit of money which I might actually have.
  • Options
    So anyone knows for definite?

And yes, I know I am being impatient! :p
  • Options
    sure, leave it on.

it doesn't make a difference.

all he can do with it is set up a direct debit in your name. (after finding out your sortcode too)

if you want to cover it - mask the middle 3 digits.
  • Options
    Hmm, have already sent it without - as said I was impatient :p
    But I now know for future reference. And as its an account stricly for rent, I will be much more aware of the transactions if something dodgy happens.

• Options
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    . But I thought he will probably see my account number anyways when I pay my rent?

No. It will simply come up your name. (wheatever name is on your bank card, statements, etc)
  • Options
    It will actually come up with the sortcode and account number unless Dear Wendy has set up a specific reference on the payment.

I'd say to always cover up things other people do not need to see. That's what I always do - just safer (as mentioned, DD's can be set up), but also if you are sending someone a copy of your statement and leave your account number details etc on there, some people might try and get through to the bank. For example, I used to work for a well known bank and their security was really crap - e.g. they would ask for the account number and your DOB and a recent transaction, so if you gave this person your statement with your sortcode and account number and transaction information, they only need to find out a) which bank it is (shown on your statement usually) and b) your DOB or other info and then fraud is possible.

I'd remove the info for the sake of peace of mind, plus it's none of their business anyway!
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Really? I would say it's alright - I'm curious to know why you'd cover it up though as maybe I'm a bit naieve about these things.

Sorry Helen, only just seen your question!

I just think it is a personal security thing... I had to provide my work with a statement recently and scribbled out my account number even though they have it because they pay the wages!

I also think it is a good idea to do it with HSBC accounts as your card number is made up of your sort code and account number!
  • Options
    can sign ya up for all sorts with account number and sort code .. id have scrubbed it!
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    can sign ya up for all sorts with account number and sort code .. id have scrubbed it!

No you can't. Trust me, I work in banking.

In order to initiate payments from the account, you'll need the card number (the 16 digit number accross the front), plus the expiry date and the security code on the back.

However, the bank statement, if you send it in an unadulterated form, can be used as ammo for identity theft. I would cover it up but the account number and sort code alone cannot be used for any nefarious purposes.
  • Options
    No you can't. Trust me, I work in banking.

In order to initiate payments from the account, you'll need the card number (the 16 digit number accross the front), plus the expiry date and the security code on the back.

However, the bank statement, if you send it in an unadulterated form, can be used as ammo for identity theft. I would cover it up but the account number and sort code alone cannot be used for any nefarious purposes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7174760.stm
  • Options

That's why Barclays are going down the pan :)

Banks should require a signed mandate from the customer for a DD, since the payment is initiated by the beneficiary rather than the person paying it. I know that for my bank, you wouldn't be able to do it with just a account number and sort code.
  • Options
    I've worked in banking and we never required a signed mandate - it's supposed to make things 'easier' for the customer.

Never had to sign a mandate for my accounts either :chin: