Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Who are the Lib Dems?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm asking because they don't seem to have any beliefs except to get votes. With Labour and the Tories there seem to be philosophical and ideological underpinnings, tempered by pragmatism and experience perhaps, but they are there. But I can't see any such similar underpinnings for the Lib Dems - one day they're the party proud to be pushing extra taxation, today they're pushing themselves as the only party who will cut taxes. One day they're for social engineering, the next they're against big government...

On Europe there doesn't seem to be any reason they put for being pro-EU (and many of the activists on the ground are happy to claim that they're anti-EU - I can remember seeing a local leaflet where it was claimed that they were the only party against further integration!!!). Even the Iraq War didn't seem to have any substance to their opposition, just merely an attempt to grab disaffected voters.

So I ask you the ladies and gentlemen of the Site - can you answer my question and tell me 'Who are the Liberal Democrats?'

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To be honest I've no diea anymore - always wierd when you see the old liberal party views pop up from them. All I know is that if they are taking about cutting taxes right now then they definately ain't the people I thought they were...
    I think their argument is taxes have already risen above where they wanted to move them to, but I think the truth is New labour have dragged both the conservatives and the libdems to the right.
    Politicians are all cunts. The end.
    When taken in the main it is a logical move. The overall tax burden has gone up quite a lot over the last 10 years, so because of that they no longer want to increase it.

What they want to do is make cost savings by getting rid of quite a few back room senior people in the public services, and split that saving between tax cuts and more front line staff.

In other words given the tax burden has put us all further to the left they are picking up some sections of the Orange Book which now apply.

As for what they stand for, I would argue they are largely a liberal party.