Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

BNP to march to celebrate "martyr" killed by Muslim man

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If Mr Khan had punched the guy whilst defending his son, causing him to fall to the ground and die, it's unlikely he'd have been prosecuted at all.

The very fact that he went back inside to get a knife means it was pre-mediated and not self defence.
    The jury did not think it was premeditated if he was convicted of manslaughter.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    If Mr Khan had punched the guy whilst defending his son, causing him to fall to the ground and die, it's unlikely he'd have been prosecuted at all.

The very fact that he went back inside to get a knife means it was pre-mediated and not self defence.

But there are different degrees, thats the point. If it was a cold blooded murder he would have needed no provocation, he would have taken the knife, waited for the right chance and then killed the guy. What happened was the guy attacked, he then went and got an offensive weapon and used it. Like you say, if at the other end of the spectrum he had punched the guy in self defence then he wouldn't have even been charged.

But 8 years is a very significant sentence and in my un-legal-common-sense point of view seems that this sentence is not at all consistent with other sentences for other crimes of varying severity. Is locking him up for 8 years - all things considered - the best thing for everyone? (Which is what prison is about, not revenge)

By the time he's out of prison for defending his son - even if he did it in the completely wrong way - his son will be grown up (if he is still alive, I'm not sure the BNP lot take kindly to this kind of action).

How is that in any way justice?
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    But there are different degrees, thats the point. If it was a cold blooded murder he would have needed no provocation, he would have taken the knife, waited for the right chance and then killed the guy. What happened was the guy attacked, he then went and got an offensive weapon and used it. Like you say, if at the other end of the spectrum he had punched the guy in self defence then he wouldn't have even been charged.

But 8 years is a very significant sentence and in my un-legal-common-sense point of view seems that this sentence is not at all consistent with other sentences for other crimes of varying severity. Is locking him up for 8 years - all things considered - the best thing for everyone? (Which is what prison is about, not revenge)

By the time he's out of prison for defending his son - even if he did it in the completely wrong way - his son will be grown up (if he is still alive, I'm not sure the BNP lot take kindly to this kind of action).

How is that in any way justice?

8 years seems roughly right to me for Manslaughter - given that for murder you'll get 25. You can't have people stabbing to death their neighbours, whatever the provocation. Otherwise at best we have anarchy, at worst a return to Saxon blood feuds.

In fact looking at the sentencing guidelines advisory panel's proposals for manslaughter by provocation he got off lightly. The sentencing range for knife carried and used (p9)* is 10-12 years.

I assume the judge took into account both the long term nature of the problem and the immediate events before it, and wnet for a lower sentence.

http://www.sentencing-guidelines.gov.uk/docs/advice_manslaughter.pdf

* and
    In Attorney General’s Reference (No. 33 of 1996) (Latham)53 the Court of Appeal took the opportunity to review current sentencing levels in a relatively narrow category of manslaughter offences resulting from the use of a knife which had been carried in a public place with a view to being used as a weapon. The court concluded that ‘where an offender deliberately goes out with a knife, carrying it as a weapon, and uses it to cause death, even if there is provocation, he should expect to receive on conviction in a contested case a sentence in the region of 10 to 12 years.’
    (para 49, p15)
    Aladdin wrote: »
    The jury did not think it was premeditated if he was convicted of manslaughter.

Maybe they did, but the judge would have taken into account the previous incidents, so would have instructed them to assume manslaughter.
    I somehow doubt he would either, but as others have said, this is exactly why emotions shouldn't have any place in law and judgements.

If this happened to me I wouldn't be thinking logically, i'd be out for revenge, not justice. And that's not something that should happen.

im not too sure how i feel about things like that. i dont pretend i have everything figured out like all the other angry teenagers i know lol. i would not however show any remorse what so ever if i saw a bnp member/pedo/rapists ect beat up on the street but maybe i am a bad person. :razz: jokes i hope not anyway.
    ok budda picture this

a man remorslessly rapes and attacks your son/daughter/wife/sister/mother/ repeatedly destroying the persons liofe. they need hours and hours of councelling just to make it through the day and feel confident again. they hurt that person you loved so much they are never reaslly the same person. your telling me you would say oh right old chap i dont want to hurt you, you can sit in a prison for whatever feeble sentence the criminal justice system gives you then you can stroll out and carry on living your life and i wont have any bad bloodlust thoughts about you at all. i sincerely doubt it.

Yes of course, but that is personal and it is exactly why we dont allow victims to decide the conditions of their attackers.
    I haven't read the entire thread but I know one thing for certain.

If someone was strangling either of my sons, I'd of stabbed them too, and buried them in the fucking forestry.

I think most people with kids would appreciate what this guy had to do.

TBH if someone even looked like they were about to harm my family, they would get destroyed.
    I haven't read the entire thread but I know one thing for certain.

If someone was strangling either of my sons, I'd of stabbed them too, and buried them in the fucking forestry.

I think most people with kids would appreciate what this guy had to do.

TBH if someone even looked like they were about to harm my family, they would get destroyed.

agreed completely this guy did very little wrong.