Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Deal done in Zimbabwe

It seems that there is now a new deal in Zimbabwe, ideally Mugabe would have gone to the EU court, but if this means peace I am all for it.

Given peoples harsh comments against Mbeki before this deal, is it time we appriciated quiet diplomacy a bit more?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7615906.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I doubt it will help their 11,000,000% a year inflation
    DG wrote: »
    I doubt it will help their 11,000,000% a year inflation

Hopefully it will be a start, a move towards the ending of sanctions.

There really isnt any reason why Zimbabwe couldnt be a rich country, it has stupidly good farm land and was at one stage the bread basket of Southern Africa.
    budda wrote: »
    There really isnt any reason why Zimbabwe couldnt be a rich country, it has stupidly good farm land and was at one stage the bread basket of Southern Africa.

Well actually, there's one very good reason. And that reason is still in power.
    It's not rocket science is it, if you have good relations you're able to influence them more than if you are in a state of open hostility. The UK has much more influence on UAE than it does with Iran, for example. The US was able to broker a deal to make Pinochet stand down and hold democratic elections - no such luck with Cuba.
    Aid will never be as forth coming as it could be, as long as mugabe is still in power. Though i did say to a friend a few months ago that if we ever saw the day that the now current prime minister of Zimbabwe, ever got to that, or a similar position, then thigns are changing for the good.
    Well actually, there's one very good reason. And that reason is still in power.

:yes:
    On the day Mugabe leaves power (someone will have to kill him as elections mean nothing) Zimbabwe will be on the way to getting onto its feet.

The UN Sanctions are against Mugabe, not Zimbabwe.

Interesting story an elderly friend told me once; he was in cyprus in the army as a flight mechanic and he was walking home after a few pints, stopped for a cigarette and a guy asked for a light they got chatting and the man named Robert said he was from Zimbabwe and was going to be leader one day! The guy must have drive...
    The UN Sanctions are against Mugabe, not Zimbabwe.

Interesting story an elderly friend told me once; he was in cyprus in the army as a flight mechanic and he was walking home after a few pints, stopped for a cigarette and a guy asked for a light they got chatting and the man named Robert said he was from Zimbabwe and was going to be leader one day! The guy must have drive...

But like all sanctions they normally hurt the people at the bottom far more than those at the top.

It is definitely a shame, he was quite a benevolent leader at first, its really only in the last 10 years when he's turned nasty, perhaps his brain is going soft.
    But like all sanctions they normally hurt the people at the bottom far more than those at the top.

It is definitely a shame, he was quite a benevolent leader at first, its really only in the last 10 years when he's turned nasty, perhaps his brain is going soft.

The point i (badly) put across was dispose of Mugabe and dispose of the problem.

Putting sanctions on a country that is almost starving is utterly pointless and silly and is one of the reasons i hate just about all politicians.... its not about how in need of help a person is, its what can be gained from helping them.

The Matabele Massacre was in the 80s.

He's never being a particularly nice man. During the 80 and 90s he wasn't really covered by the media, as they're were much worse African leaders (and arguably still are) and didn't do much against the white settlers. It was only when persecuting them that he became Public Enemy Number one.
    The point i (badly) put across was dispose of Mugabe and dispose of the problem.

That's a nice thought, but in reality I dont think just him going would make a massive amount of difference - although it would definitely be a good step.

A large amount of the generals are on his side (they know they could face the Hague) and of course there are all of the 'veterans'.
    The Matabele Massacre was in the 80s.

He's never being a particularly nice man. During the 80 and 90s he wasn't really covered by the media, as they're were much worse African leaders (and arguably still are) and didn't do much against the white settlers. It was only when persecuting them that he became Public Enemy Number one.

Fair enough, you are completely right to point out the massacres which took place early on.

I guess I was referring to his overall rule, which in the main was relatively (by African standards) benign until recently.
    I suspect compared to some it still is. Its certainly not less democratic than Swaziland, which doesn't bother with elections and still has an absolute monarchy.

I'm not sure Mugabe is worse than Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, head of Equatorial Guinea (and probably not as corrupt - rumour has it that Mbasogo has a personal fortune of £600m)

Nor is it as corrupt as Tonga (150 on the corruption perception index as oppossed to 175).

Now it's not a nice place to live, but its not the worst state in Africa by any means, but its gets a disproportionate amount of interest. And I suspect that's because it has lots more white population than Equatorial Guinea.