Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gary Glitter's coming home

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Last I heard he's back in Thailand.

The Thai authorities had threatened to detain him indefinitely if he didn't leave the country, and now he's been sent back there. So if he doesn't jump on a plane (to Britain presumably, as nobody else will have him) very soon he could find himself locked up in what is said to be one of the worst jails in the world.

What a pity that would be...
    Does anyone get the feeling that he'll be lynched as soon as he gets off the plane at heathrow?
    Not literally so, but it certainly won't be safe for him to be in any public place in Britain without protection/bodyguards. If he did it'd only be a question of time before he got seriously hurt or killed.

From that point of view you can understand his reluctance to come back. And despicable as the man is, I don't believe in vigilante justice and I don't think him being kicked to death by an angry mob would be a desirable outcome.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    From that point of view you can understand his reluctance to come back. And despicable as the man is, I don't believe in vigilante justice and I don't think him being kicked to death by an angry mob would be a desirable outcome.

Meh, we'd get rid of a convicted paedophile along with a group of the type of nobheads who would kick a paedophile (or paediatrician) to death. Seems like a win-win situation to me. :p
    I don't think him being kicked to death by an angry mob would be a desirable outcome.
    I do. I think being kicked to death is the least this scumbag deserves. I doubt I'm alone in thinking it either.
    He deserves nothing more, he certainly doesn't deserve the £250,000 a year police protection he's asked for.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    He deserves nothing more, he certainly doesn't deserve the £250,000 a year police protection he's asked for.

Given you're part of the Police structure I find that attitude alarming.

Are you suggesting that anyone who kills a sex offender after they have served time in jail should not be punished? If you are I think you should seriously consider leaving the Police given your distain for the law.
    budda wrote: »

Are you suggesting that anyone who kills a sex offender after they have served time in jail should not be punished? If you are I think you should seriously consider leaving the Police given your distain for the law.

But loads of us are able to seperate our professional and personal opinions - why not PCSO's?
    Me, I don't believe in the death penalty for anyone, not even when administered by the State- let alone angry mobs.

But then again, if we can put to death those who participate in any such lynching as well I guess it'd not be so bad.

Fuck vigilante "justice".
    But loads of us are able to seperate our professional and personal opinions - why not PCSO's?

Yes, but there is (to me) a big difference between disliking a certain policy and actively wanting sex offenders to be beaten to death.
    Yes, but there is (to me) a big difference between disliking a certain policy and actively wanting sex offenders to be beaten to death.

Why? He's sounding off on a message board. If he was on duty protecting a child sex offender and he stood aside whilst they were beaten to death that's another matter.
    Well you have to wonder whether such person's judgement might at some point create a conflict of interests with his line of job.

I mean, can we guarantee that a copper who thinks someone deserves to be beaten to death would do their job and intervene to prevent just such act if faced with it?

Can we guarantee that a copper who thinks someone whose life might be in danger should not be entitled to police protection because of his past crimes can be trusted to offer just such protection to that person if assigned the job?

Unless I woke up in Zwimbabwe this morning, people in this country are entitled to live their lives without fear of being murdered by mobs- or at lesat to be offered protection if the risk exists- regardless of how henious their previous crimes might have been.
    Well you have to wonder whether such person's judgement might at some point create a conflict of interests with his line of job.

I mean, can we guarantee that a copper who thinks someone deserves to be beaten to death would do their job and intervene to prevent just such act if faced with it?

Can we guarantee that a copper who thinks someone whose life might be in danger should not be entitled to police protection because of his past crimes can be trusted to offer just such protection to that person if assigned the job?

Unless I woke up in Zwimbabwe this morning, people in this country are entitled to live their lives without fear of being murdered by mobs- or at lesat to be offered protection if the risk exists- regardless of how henious their previous crimes might have been.

You can't guarantee anything in this life, I'm afraid. However, I suspect that Whowhere's views are similar to coppers I've known, but they still all do their job and don't let peadophiles get beaten to death.

Happens for many people down the line in many different fields of work - in such situations you learn to differentiate between interest and principle I suppose.

I never said I wanted him beaten, and if you think I'd stand and watch and let anyone take the law into their own hands, for whatever reason you're grossly mistaken.

Saying that, I'm also human. If you think I'd shed a tear for an animal like him, you're also mistaken.
    You can't guarantee anything in this life, I'm afraid. However, I suspect that Whowhere's views are similar to coppers I've known, but they still all do their job and don't let peadophiles get beaten to death.

Exactly.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I never said I wanted him beaten, and if you think I'd stand and watch and let anyone take the law into their own hands, for whatever reason you're grossly mistaken.

Saying that, I'm also human. If you think I'd shed a tear for an animal like him, you're also mistaken.

Fair enough, I guess it was just your tone which implied a certain level of blood lust - but perhaps I'm reading too much into it.
    Fair enough, I guess it was just your tone which implied a certain level of blood lust - but perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

I think you might be. Whatever opinions I might have, whatever I might agree/disagree with, I've never let them affect the way I work and I never will. Saying that, I doubt you will meet any copper anywhere who will WANT to babysit someone like Glitter. They'll do it because they have to, or because they believe they're protecting everyone else from him and because they're able to keep an eye on him.
    Police are humans too and personally i would never want an officer to leave the foprce for being human and having morals. The difference is if he acts on it or not and i believe whowhere and most officers hold the law above their own feelings.
    i think all rapists and peadophiles should be castrated. seriously i think they should they could then serve there sentence however feeble it is due to our fucked up system and then be freed to live there life posing no threat to anyone else.
    job done :)
    Detracting from things a bit but -

At what age do you think a girl can decide to have sex consentually? I personally think it is younger than 16.

and

What age should a girl be for boy not to be considered a pedophile for sleeping with her ? I ask this as different countries, different laws/ages. Do we all side with the British law view of 16 ?

Would be interested in others views.
    What age should a girl be for boy not to be considered a pedophile for sleeping with her ? I ask this as different countries, different laws/ages. Do we all side with the British law view of 16 ?

Would be interested in others views.

a pedophile is one that finds a pre pubescent person sexually attractive. so, no matter what the daily fail says (Sauce) fucking a teenager is not pedophillia.
    I think it should depend more on the age difference than the actual age, although with a bare minimum where difference is irrelevant.

A 16 year old lad shouldn't be prosecuted for having sex with a 15 year old. Likewise a freak like Glitter who enjoys relations with <13 year olds should be drawn and quartered.