Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Council tax court date

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For many reasons I've been unable to pay my council tax.

My landlord gutted our flat and even though I'm supposed to share it with someone he's not moved someone in.

I applied for (and am still unable to receive because my landlord won't give me a new tenancy agreement) benefits and have had my claim refused because of a lack of paperwork.

I was supposed to be covered by student status until August, but they ignored it.

I was sent a summons despite calling them a million times and the court date is on Friday. I've tried calling them to sort it out over the phone and come to some agreement but they've just taken my details, told me they'll call me back each time and haven't done.

I haven't got the money to pay them and I'm scrimping as it is but how can I avoid a court date if I can't even speak to someone. I have a piece of paper I can fill in and send it to them but I don't even know if it will get to them in time (only received it this morning).

I understand that I pretty much have no leg to stand on in regards to paying it but I thought the system was supposed to help people who are broke and not hinder them.

Any advice would be great.
X

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you not have paperwork to prove that you were covered by student status? If so take it with you?
    I spoke to someone on the phone and they said because I had paid something (Only £50) towards it I didn't have to attend. She said I needed to send off a yellow slip in order to sort out a timescale to pay it off. I've done this and so someone should be in touch soon to confirm it.

I hate being a grown up :(
    This will sound harsh, because it is, but you have to keep on top of these things.

It may just be the way I am reading it, but it sounds like you are happy enough to make a phone call and then think "right, that's me done, I'll wait for them now". Even when the other people don't ring back.

Unfortunately, and especially with councils, this is not the case. You have to keep pounding at them every day until you get the thing that you want. If you just leave it - as you have seen - they will go their own way, regardless of if you have rang them once or twice and think (perhaps reasonably) that the onus should now be on them.

Basically, what I am saying is take control of your own life.
    Yeah. I do understand that. I have sent back their letter detailing how I will pay them back the £200 I owe, with direct debit details and dates. Taking on some extra shifts at my part-time job and have an interview on Monday.

My landlord and I just spoke today and he says he would have thrown it in with the rent but as he thought I was still a student he hadn't bothered.He is doing now for the remainder of the bill bar the 200 I owe. I have to say it's a load off my mind and I feel so foolish for letting it get into such a state. It's been a really hard few months for me (and I know that's a crappy excuse but I've had a very close bereavement and lost most of my income overnight) but I've sat down now and pulled my finger out. Thank god.

And by the way Mist, I come on here for truthful honest advice, so you don't sound harsh. You sound sensible. :)