Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bedroom Colours - Help?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, we are currently redoing the en-suite in our loft conversion and are taking the opportunity to paint the rest of the bedroom at the same time, the question is, what colour?

We know we want to keep the white ceiling and currently we have a focus wall behind our bed of a dark red and the original creamy/yellow colour elsewhere, but i have no idea what colour to paint it this time!

We like quite strong colours and have recently painted our spare bedroom a lovely soft purple however there is so much wall in our bedroom I worry that a strong colour is going to be too much if it is everywhere (although my husband disagrees).

We could go with a lighter colour and a focus wall which is what we have done everywhere else in the house but I have no inspiration as to what colours. We normally go down the purpley/browny route but our bed is black and the ensuite is going to be dark slate tiled wall/floor with white paint elsewhere. It is kind of open plan into the bedroom so the colours have to be complementary; also to make things a bit more complicated the wood in the room is a dark oak so that has to work too!

What colours are your bedrooms? Do you take risks with your colours or stick more on the side of magnolia?

I am so stuck and I don't have time to spend too long trying to work this out - eeek... help!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I love teal and peacock feather sort of colours, you know really deep rich ones - Thats what my bedroom is, looks awesome :thumb:
    Hehe, I'm no good to ask, we have what you're getting rid of... white room with the wall behind our bed dark red! :p
    Splodgey wrote: »
    We like quite strong colours and have recently painted our spare bedroom a lovely soft purple however there is so much wall in our bedroom I worry that a strong colour is going to be too much if it is everywhere (although my husband disagrees).

In all of the rooms in my parents house (apart from their room & dinning room) the walls are two colours. One at the top, a border and another colour at the bottom. Could you do that instead of just using one colour?
    rachie004 wrote: »
    How about instead of painting the feature get some wall paper on there with a really vibrant pattern to it?

I like this idea but it is a no go with the other half!
    I have been giving it a lot of thought and have decided that we can't have a dark colour throughout, we tend to keep the blinds shut anyway and it would just be so so dark all the time if we did - still not sure he agrees with me but oh well!

I am currently quite liking these strong colours for the focus wall behind the bed;

Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.

With one of these for the other walls;

Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.

Which do you think go best? (sorry they are such small images)
    The first one of the focus colours? Whicj of the lighter shades do you think would go well with it?

Oh and good thing my sister-in-law is a divorce lawyer ;)