Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

11th of september 2008

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Doesn't your first paragraph sit oddly with your second. As you seem to dismiss some conspiracy theories and then set one up (which you admit is without evidence).

Personally I think its much more likely that US Intelligence (and come to that MI6, Mossad, DGSE all took their eye of the ball (or more likely didn't even realise the ball was in play to begin with). After the fact it's easy to draw the dots, its much harder in real time, when you have a mixture of information overload and not enough.

I can see what you mean, which is why I pointed out I didn’t have any evidence for it. I guess my main point is that just because the US government got to do lots of big expensive things (Iraq being one example) because of the 11th of Sept, it doesn’t mean they orchestrated it.

Possibly, although it didn’t take a genius to realise that funding lots of extreme Muslims in Afghanistan was at some point going to come back to bite us.
    After the fact it's easy to draw the dots, its much harder in real time, when you have a mixture of information overload and not enough.

This is an important point, and one of the reasons that Noam Chomsky gives for finding even the idea of a conspiracy absurd and impossible. It would require a level of coordination, ideological conviction, secrecy and singular bloody mindedness on an impossible scale.

As much as there are serious questions around the handling, investigation of, and actions after 9/11 the idea of a singular conspiracy is, I believe, fundamentally beyond any human system at present.
    As much as there are serious questions around the handling, investigation of, and actions after 9/11 the idea of a singular conspiracy is, I believe, fundamentally beyond any human system at present.

Definitely, you only have to read the PNAC letter released the day after Sept 11th to suspect that important people were waiting for something similar to happen to excuse the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan.
    budda wrote: »
    Definitely, you only have to read the PNAC letter released the day after Sept 11th to suspect that important people were waiting for something similar to happen to excuse the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan.

But something was bound to happen - even if 9/11 was unimaginable, a car bombing, an attack on a US embassy or a repeat of USS Cole was almost a certainty.

It wasn't unknown that Islamic radicals were anti-US and would use terrorism, what was unknown was that they were planning to mass hijack planes and fly them into building.
    But something was bound to happen - even if 9/11 was unimaginable, a car bombing, an attack on a US embassy or a repeat of USS Cole was almost a certainty.

It wasn't unknown that Islamic radicals were anti-US and would use terrorism, what was unknown was that they were planning to mass hijack planes and fly them into building.

Exactly, there was quite a lot of lead in time and a large attack was expected, just not in the form it came.

Like I've said the only 'conspiracy' I see is the exploitation of the events for military, political and economic gain. But given that was done so blatently and so openly it can hardly be described as a conspiracy.
    budda wrote: »
    Exactly, there was quite a lot of lead in time and a large attack was expected, just not in the form it came.

Like I've said the only 'conspiracy' I see is the exploitation of the events for military, political and economic gain. But given that was done so blatently and so openly it can hardly be described as a conspiracy.

I wouldn't say its a conspiracy either, not least because there was obviously no choice for Afghanistan given the magnitude of the attacks. However, I would disagree with your initial comments that the CIA et al were set up to alolow the attacks
    I'd only just started senior school when it happened - i remember my mum picking me up from school and telling me about it, then we were listening about it on the radio on the way home. Couldn't believe it when i saw it on tv when i got home.