Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

yes lets blame the wrong people again

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/04092008/389/paying-petrol-asda-reason.html

so just because ASDA don't have a petrol pump in certain areas and because other pumps wish to charge more now its asda's fault that some people pay more for petrol ? instead of saying what a good thing that asda do charge less now its their fault that where there is no asda petrol is dear.

why are so many peoples minds in this stupid country going down the shithole ? why do we have to always blame the ones that tr/do get it right ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/04092008/389/paying-petrol-asda-reason.html

so just because ASDA don't have a petrol pump in certain areas and because other pumps wish to charge more now its asda's fault that some people pay more for petrol ? instead of saying what a good thing that asda do charge less now its their fault that where there is no asda petrol is dear.

why are so many peoples minds in this stupid country going down the shithole ? why do we have to always blame the ones that tr/do get it right ?
    Agreed, it is ludicrous that Asda should get the blame instead of the greedy cunts who choose not to lower the prices.
    Fuel prices are decided locally by individual companies. They justify this on several grounds. It depends on factors such as location. For example, if it's a rural location far away from the depot, it will cost more money to deliver fuel to the forecourt in question. If it's an urban location, factors such as the prices of rival forecourts are taken into consideration. No one wants to be the most expensive petrol station in a particular city, after all.

As it happens, one of the supermarkets recently called on the fuel companies to impose a national pricing scheme, instead of the current localised one. I cannot remember right now which one it was, though.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Fuel prices are decided locally by individual companies. They justify this on several grounds. It depends on factors such as location. For example, if it's a rural location far away from the depot, it will cost more money to deliver fuel to the forecourt in question. If it's an urban location, factors such as the prices of rival forecourts are taken into consideration. No one wants to be the most expensive petrol station in a particular city, after all.
    They don't need to. All they need is to know that there are no Asda-run petrol stations for a number of miles around, and they can set their prices accordingly. By happy coincidence many neighbouring petrol stations happen to have equal or very similar prices on their fuel. So all is dandy.

That petrol stations that sit near Asda-run ones can still operate a business and make a profit after matching Asda's prices leads me to believe most of those stations that have no supermarket-run stations near them could do the same. They simply choose not to because they get away with it thanks to a captive customer base.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    That petrol stations that sit near Asda-run ones can still operate a business and make a profit after matching Asda's prices leads me to believe most of those stations that have no supermarket-run stations near them could do the same. They simply choose not to because they get away with it thanks to a captive customer base.

precisely
    We haven't got an Asda near us :mad:
    I thought it was largely all the other bits and bobs which made the profit for the actual petrol retailer, there isnt much margin on the petrol itself by the time its been taxed and delivered.

As for petrol stations having higher prices because there isnt adequate competition, its unethical certainly, but I definitely wouldnt want to try and legislate against it.
    no what we really need in this country is price control like we used to have, EDF customers in france have had to pay 5 % more for electric and gas because france has price control and us mugs over here had an increase from the same company of 20 %
    no what we really need in this country is price control like we used to have, EDF customers in france have had to pay 5 % more for electric and gas because france has price control and us mugs over here had an increase from the same company of 20 %

Something like 80% of France's power is derived from nuclear energy so they do not have the same reliance on gas that we do, so its not a completely fair comparison.
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Petrol stations are hardly making huge profits, there are now fewer petrol stations in the UK than any point in since 1912. This article explains the situation: http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-article.aspx?NA=227452

It's also worth pointing out that supermarkets make a significant part of their profit on payment-lag: they'll delay paying their suppliers by up to three months and then invest that money into high interest accounts. This is ethically dubious at the very least. But as long as we get cheap petrol, I guess that is OK...

Olly
    That article makes it sound as if supermarket outlets are not classed as petrol stations. If they are, it makes you wonder if the market of forecourts was oversaturated in the first place.

Our energy supply market is actually a lot more open to competition, so although there are more stable prices in the rest of the EU, I think we actually get a better deal. That and as Teagan said, nuclear power is a lot more stable in price than gas and coal.
    Olly_B wrote: »
    Petrol stations are hardly making huge profits, there are now fewer petrol stations in the UK than any point in since 1912. This article explains the situation: http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-article.aspx?NA=227452

It's also worth pointing out that supermarkets make a significant part of their profit on payment-lag: they'll delay paying their suppliers by up to three months and then invest that money into high interest accounts. This is ethically dubious at the very least. But as long as we get cheap petrol, I guess that is OK...

Olly

Frankly I'd like to see some one name one just one supermarket that is truly ethical and honest as we only just heard it has been realized that supermarkets are increasing prices above the supply price and making much more money basically taking advantage of the increase food supply hype and letting us assume its the suppliers that have ups the prices and bnot the supermarkets, i figured this ages ago but then you must have a costly and uneccesary study to even think its truly believable