Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

London

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was going to say that from there you'll need to get a bus its not THAT far but you have to factor in bus waiting times etc.

Also when looking at a flat bear in mind that its not just the inside which reflects the price its also the area which its in - Dalston is OK but maybe not for the faint hearted... - but then pretty anywhere within zone one and two if your not prepared to pay an arm and a leg isn't going to be that nice.
    Property is not avaliable until almost a month from now which is too long to wait as we don't wanna commute from outside of London for that long - apart from that it was apparently pretty much perfect. So search continues.

But yes, finding reasonable property in London is a bitch by the looks of it!
    Dear Wendy wrote: »

:yes:

It can be a mission as there are a lot of sub-standard properties and you'll have to pay through the nose for the good ones (unless you strike it lucky).

IMO, 40 minutes commuting time is quite normal :)
    ohh also - i might want to add that i live in zone 3 and i'm still only a 45 min commute to work - and 20 mins from my house to central london on the train and i live in a lurrrrrvely area (though i am biased)
    Property is not avaliable until almost a month from now which is too long to wait as we don't wanna commute from outside of London for that long - apart from that it was apparently pretty much perfect. So search continues.

Really, I'd have a hard think about it - you mind find it difficult to find anything without a couple of weeks before you can move in
    Wyetry wrote: »
    ohh also - i might want to add that i live in zone 3 and i'm still only a 45 min commute to work - and 20 mins from my house to central london on the train and i live in a lurrrrrvely area (though i am biased)

Where is that if you don't mind me asking? Some friends and I are looking at places to live. Most have been on the Zone 2 and 3 borderline. Don't know when i'll be moving though as I can't really afford to at the moment.

Aye, as another example:

I live in Notting Hill. It's a 5-10 minute walk to the tube, two stops to Earl's Court, change and then five stops to Stamford Brook where I work. It usually takes 30-40 minutes, or if I walked directly, approximately 45-50 minutes. Early morning mind-fugggggg usually dictates I get the tube, but being the District Line, it is often shafted.

So, it's not a long way as such, but just due to the size of the place, it still can take a long time. To me, a 40+/- minute commute is fantastic as i've had MUCH worse :)
    Jim V wrote: »
    Really, I'd have a hard think about it - you mind find it difficult to find anything without a couple of weeks before you can move in

Agreed.
    Renzo wrote: »
    Where is that if you don't mind me asking? Some friends and I are looking at places to live. Most have been on the Zone 2 and 3 borderline. Don't know when i'll be moving though as I can't really afford to at the moment.

Blackheath/Greenwich

Though Charlton is only one stop further on the train and much cheaper as well and not all that bad either - plus i have the option of the tube and the DLR if things get really stuffed up.
    Blackheath/Greenwich

Though Charlton is only one stop further on the train and much cheaper as well and not all that bad either - plus i have the option of the tube and the DLR if things get really stuffed up.

We looked at Charlton but the transport links didn't look as good. Tottenham and the areas around it are where my friends seem to be looking. Apparantly I'm going to be looking at some over the weekend.
    Jim V wrote: »

I know... its just all a bit too confusing when I'm not going to be in London until this weekend and the 2 others are doing the househunting before/after work at the moment. They wanna find something as soon as possible as they don't want to commute from out of London for the next 3+ weeks, which I understand to be fair.

But am sure we will find something in the end, a friend of mine found something within a day. And a friend of a friend did the same. Its just about looking hard enough I guess.
    gumtree is your friend, i moved house again a couple of weeks ago back over to east london and saw half a dozen places in a couple of weeks. i am quite fussy as well, you just have to be quick with the good ones they go fast.
    tbh, i wouldn't want to live in dalston, or hoxton. I've got friends in the area and they have been broken into 5 time in the past year, and one of them has had their car stolen and another mugged just outside the train station. they could all be very unlucky but its not a nice area at night i know that much.

anywhere around kenton is good, as is harrow, cos its only 20 mins to baker street (if you need that side of town) and its not massivly expencive either. Canning town isn't that bad, and thats only 20 mins into town, and rents are quite cheap, the same with stratford. wouldn't know anything about being south of the water. but i know that those ones are pretty good.
    I commute about an hour or just over, both from, and to work.

Though i do travel about 32/33 miles :P
    We looked at Charlton but the transport links didn't look as good. Tottenham and the areas around it are where my friends seem to be looking. Apparantly I'm going to be looking at some over the weekend.

Tottenham is scaryish (according to my friend who grew up there) - but super cheap
    yeah its too close to edmonton which is rife with gun and knife crime
    A place has been signed for now, and only 30 minutes to school from the tube! A bit more expensive, but aparently its in a nicer area (Finsbury Park).
    A place has been signed for now, and only 30 minutes to school from the tube! A bit more expensive, but aparently its in a nicer area (Finsbury Park).

Yeah, Fisbury park isn't bad at all. Glad you have it sorted out :)
    Cool, I really like Finsbury Park
    I hope I will too :p Perhaps a bit stupid to give my consent from abroad when I haven't even seen pictures from the interior and stuff - but its on a pretty central road and the girl who went to view it for us said that everything looked good, was a good size, location was good, etc. etc.
    So yeah, apparently we're moving in on sunday!
    So Finsbury Park is nice, but the places I'm looking at within a mile or so aren't. God you lot are pedantic :p

Congratulations though Wendy. You going to move in on Sunday then?
    its not *that* nice - its OK and up and coming maybe.....

Its definatley not as nice as say chelsea or fulham
    So Finsbury Park is nice, but the places I'm looking at within a mile or so aren't. God you lot are pedantic :p

:lol:

A mile in London can be the difference between riches and ghetto.
    g_angel wrote: »
    :lol:

A mile in London can be the difference between riches and ghetto.
    Not that so much, in fairness, it's just safety. I used to live in the "rich" part of Holloway Road and have never felt so unsafe compared to the less well-off area towards Highbury Corner, which is more stable. It's just about where you feel safe going home to at night.
    piccolo wrote: »
    Not that so much, in fairness, it's just safety. I used to live in the "rich" part of Holloway Road and have never felt so unsafe compared to the less well-off area towards Highbury Corner, which is more stable. It's just about where you feel safe going home to at night.

Well, I feel a damned sight safer in Notting Hill than I did in Westbourne Park. ;)
    Meh, I'll judge it myself on Saturday. Budget is the key word. I don't have a job yet.

Congratulations though Wendy. You going to move in on Sunday then?

Thanks, but the agencies are being bastards :(
    They want me to scan in a document with my parents signature saying they are liable for my share of the rent, a copy of their passport and a payslip to see they have an income. On top of that I need the reference from my old landlord (fair enough - no biggie) AND a bank statement showing that my parents have paid my rent in the past.

Is he legally allowed to do that?
    Oh, and on the bank statements is it alright if he sees my account number or should I cover that?
    Thanks, but the agencies are being bastards :(
    They want me to scan in a document with my parents signature saying they are liable for my share of the rent, a copy of their passport and a payslip to see they have an income. On top of that I need the reference from my old landlord (fair enough - no biggie) AND a bank statement showing that my parents have paid my rent in the past.

Is he legally allowed to do that?

Yes if you don't have the means to pay the rent yourself - if you had a job they would ask to see a copy of your pay slip and possibly even your contract - they need to protect thier assets as well.
    Yeah, it makes sense. Just felt violated in a way. Know it sounds dramatic, but it is just documents that you wouldn't just flaunt around.
    Its also due to me not being used to this at all. In Sheffield I just had to give my parents contact details, my university, course and year of study - and it was fine. And then show them a copy of my standig order agreemeant with the bank, when everyone else just gave postdated checks. And here in Denmark they charge you 3 months rent, on top of the first months rent, as a deposit to ensure you have the means, and in case the property is damaged.
    But yeah, apparently they have all the needed documents now :) Now its just about when they will let us move in. Do any of you know what the rules are regarding moving in midmonth? Do they charge you for the whole month or just from the week you moved in?