Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

11th of september 2008

Will be 7 years since the twin towers got flown into and collapsed.

I personally dont fancy a debate about the whole conspiracy theory or anything like that. What i will say, is that it feels both so long ago, but also at the same time like it was only moments ago.

Im sure a lot of people remember what they were doing at the time, same with our 7/7.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Try 7 years. :p
    Yes i have homer simpson like fingers at the moment, alteration made.
    11th sep is my best mates birthday :)
    :)

It's definately an event that will be etched into human memory for some time to come. I was in school when I first heard about it, I remember coming home and seeing the television screen saying "50,000 could be dead" or something like that and was just shocked. Thankfully the tally got lowered but 3,000 odd is still a lot of needless casaulties.

Then again I think there was too much coverage of it, got a bit "not this again" after a few weeks of constant coverage, bit like Maddy. That sounds harsh but it's how I felt at the time.
    my cat died on 9/11 so it was a really shitty day all round. still we are 7 years on and not a single successful attack in the US since, so i guess they're just extremely lucky considering all the beardies out there plotting to get us....
    I will always remember where I was and what I was doing since I was about 3 hours outside of NYC when it happened, and my birthday is unfortunately the next day....

As always, my thoughts will be with those who lost loved ones, friends, and family members. Such a needless waste of life.
    Tuesday, 11th September 2001 - I remember it well. When I woke up that morning, I had an overwhelming feeling that something huge was going to go wrong that day. I don't know where it came from, I just woke up with it. I went into college and had a morning full of lessons. As I didn't have any lessons in the afternoon, I decided to take the 1pm bus home - all I had to do was show my bus pass and I could travel for free, so why not?

After getting home, I made myself a bit of dinner. I settled down on the sofa and turned on the TV. My mum, who'd been watching earlier, had left the channel on Sky News, so that was the first thing came on. I honestly couldn't believe what I saw next. I just saw this enormous building with a huge hole in it. I couldn't make head nor tail of it when I first saw the images. Then I had a listen to the coverage and started realising just what the hell was going on.

However, things didn't really hit home until the next day. I went into college and I was going to my History class. When I reached the classroom, I saw something that I'd never seen before - loads of students had bought the morning newspapers and were reading the coverage. One of my friends at college showed me a picture from that day's edition of The Sun. It had a full-page picture of someone jumping out of one of the towers, to a certain death. That was the most haunting picture I have ever seen in my life, and it brought home the true human impact of that horrific day.
    I was in year seven at school and my dad came to pick me up. I met him in the car and told him he had to go up to the office to pay a deposit so I could get a locked in the commen room. He went up their and told everyone in the office about what had happened. I remember seeing them all shocked and rushing to find a telly to switch on and I was like "whats the twins towers dad?" Once a blonde . . .
    my cat died on 9/11 so it was a really shitty day all round. still we are 7 years on and not a single successful attack in the US since, so i guess they're just extremely lucky considering all the beardies out there plotting to get us....

They may be otherwise occupied - you know with getting the shit beaten out of them in Afghanistan and all....
    Stargalaxy, were you able to predict 7/7 too?

On a more serious note I remember getting home from school early, lounging in front of the tv and the news popping on the screen when it wasn't supposed too. Was an 'event' but I didn't realise just how much until later that night we got a call from close family friends saying a family member of theirs was apparently on the 2nd plane (a family member I had met).
    The day after was my moms birthday, but that day and the following were spent taking care of our friends whos world had literally crashed. What stands out the most was my mom. If I could be half the person she was (and still is) when making sure to drive them around to appointments, doctors, preparing food for them and just being there... I don't think anyone would really understand unless they saw and experienced what she did. And she herself would never mention it...
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    11th sep is my best mates birthday :)

Same here, had the news on and thought it was some tv show or film at first...
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Whilst I wouldn't go that far, I certainly knew that morning that something wasn't right.
    For me, school had just finished for the day at 3.30 when I found out. We were getting the bus into town and one of the fellas from my year (who was a bit of a bullshitter that I didn't like) came onto the bus telling everyone that a fighter jet (or jets, can't remember) had flown into the World Trade Centre in New York. I didn't believe a word of it because it was him saying it, but then more people backed up the story, saying one of the teachers had put on the news in their class after getting word what had happened. I went straight home from town and put on the news to find out it had been commercial planes and both towers had been targetted. Weird feeling.

The surreal thing for me was when I was younger I had a book called 'Famous Places'. I remember reading it so many times as a kid and the WTC was, at the time, the tallest building in the world. I used to always tell my younger brother how one day I was going to work on the top floor. That was one of my childhood dreams - to work on the top floor of the WTC. :o

Childhood dreams shattered in one swift terrorist swoop. Bastards.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Whilst I wouldn't go that far, I certainly knew that morning that something wasn't right.

So its the night befores takeaway with the premonition ability?
    Dear Wendy wrote: »

I don't think it's unusual for people to have a sense of foreboding. The day my dad collapsed and went to hospital I felt extremely 'off' before I found out. Just like something was wrong. I don't pretend to think people can predict the future but it's a fairly common phenomenon and I accept there could well be energy and things floating around beyond our comprehension that could give us weird feelings.
    I was on holiday abroad when it happened - think I tuned into CNN after the first plane struck and saw the 2nd one go in live on TV

spent the entire day glued to the TV.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I don't think it's unusual for people to have a sense of foreboding. The day my dad collapsed and went to hospital I felt extremely 'off' before I found out. Just like something was wrong. I don't pretend to think people can predict the future but it's a fairly common phenomenon and I accept there could well be energy and things floating around beyond our comprehension that could give us weird feelings.

:yes: Out of the billions of people on Earth, many on that day would have felt foreboding and a sense of unease. It's just statistical, and coincidence. People have feelings like that on any given day - but usually the day ends without much incident.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think I was on my way to school when it happened, I think I had listened to the news before leaving but didn't hear anything about it. Then I got to school (first day for the year; so we basically only had to be welcomed, no lessons) and I was hearing people talk about terrorist attacks on the USA, and for some reason I thought it was hypothetical.
    We stayed there 30-60 minutes, then I went back home and my mum told them what happened. Until that point, I didn't even know the towers existed; I honestly don't remember hearing about them ever before.
    I was playing final fantasy 8, saw on the tv a plane had hit the world trade centre then i defeated Ulticema! w0000! I was so happy!

Then i flipped over to see if it was still on just as the other plane hit the other tower and the new reporter went "HOLY SHIT theres another one!" Then i went for a bath and came down for the towers coming down, i know this is very dark but it was the best tv i've ever watched.

At first there was massive sympathy for America and i felt it too, then they started the wars and its hard to be upset or angry about what happened - at least 87,000 killed in Iraq - http://www.iraqbodycount.org.

When they have a memorial service for all the men women and children killed because of the war they started over 9/11 ill get sad about it.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    At first there was massive sympathy for America and i felt it too, then they started the wars and its hard to be upset or angry about what happened - at least 87,000 killed in Iraq - http://www.iraqbodycount.org.

When they have a memorial service for all the men women and children killed because of the war they started over 9/11 ill get sad about it.
    I would agree with that completely.
    Oddly enough I was in the US on holiday, ruined it to be honest - but then thats stupidly selfish of me to say.

I remember sitting in the TV room of the B&B and talking to a woman whose partner was supposed to be there but was working an extra day in the towers, she sat and blankly watched the TV for the rest of the week and he never turned up.

There is no conspiracy, apart from the oft repeated lie about Iraq and the attacks themselves, which even the British government didnt have the balls to say that out loud it was so unbelievable.
    I was in college. Got a text from my brother telling me what happened and thought he was telling me one of his weird/sicko jokes, waiting for the other half of his text to.
    then I got home and seen it on telly.

Thing is, even when I seen it all on telly - it was like watching a movie. It didn't hit me how real and scary it all was. Just not something I or I'm sure any of us has seen before. So was hard to accept this was actually happening. :(:(:(
    budda wrote: »
    There is no conspiracy, apart from the oft repeated lie about Iraq and the attacks themselves, which even the British government didnt have the balls to say that out loud it was so unbelievable.

Care to explain your statement? "There is no conspiracy, apart from the .... attacks themselves"

That doesn't seem to make any sense. :eek2:
    i remember being at work when i heard.
    I was playing final fantasy 8, saw on the tv a plane had hit the world trade centre then i defeated Ulticema! w0000! I was so happy!

Ahhh! 2001 was the year of FF7 and FF8 for me. Likewise with you, I remember only just finishing FF8 just days before the attacks.

As for the day itself, I was at work, at the Ministry of Defence of all places! Nothing classified though - worked in a library, part of a huge IT complex in Bristol. The ground floor of the library had a huge plasma TV and that was turned on. I guess a colleague noticed the attacks being shown on that screen, then relayed it to the rest of the library.

As for attacks on 11-Sep-2008, the odds of another terrorist attack is equal to previous years. It may happen or it may not happen.
    i was in the park with my friend, my oldest was just a baby. She got a phone call from her friend to tell her. I went to meet my ex at work and my cousin who worked there too came out and he was really upset about it.

I dont really think that website is statisticaly acceptable. I mean i know a lot of people died, but i wouldnt trust that site if my life depended on it.

It states that it takes factual crossed checked sources, yet has a range of numbers for how many have died?
    MrG wrote: »
    I dont really think that website is statisticaly acceptable. I mean i know a lot of people died, but i wouldnt trust that site if my life depended on it.

It's probably the most accurate in that it actually counts the dead (much better than statistical sampling). It may miss some, but it probably also overeports bomb dead (where media reports often initially overcount)
    DG wrote: »
    Care to explain your statement? "There is no conspiracy, apart from the .... attacks themselves"

That doesn't seem to make any sense. :eek2:

As in any of the lies told about the attacks not being what they seem, they were carried out by about a dozen angry young men, not the CIA.

I am inclined to think that various agencies were structured and funded so that an attack of this sort would be more likely (so it could be exploited as this one was) but I have absolutely no proof of that.
    budda wrote: »
    As in any of the lies told about the attacks not being what they seem, they were carried out by about a dozen angry young men, not the CIA.

I am inclined to think that various agencies were structured and funded so that an attack of this sort would be more likely (so it could be exploited as this one was) but I have absolutely no proof of that.

Doesn't your first paragraph sit oddly with your second. As you seem to dismiss some conspiracy theories and then set one up (which you admit is without evidence).

Personally I think its much more likely that US Intelligence (and come to that MI6, Mossad, DGSE all took their eye of the ball (or more likely didn't even realise the ball was in play to begin with). After the fact it's easy to draw the dots, its much harder in real time, when you have a mixture of information overload and not enough.