Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Premier League predictions 08/09

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So since the start of the season is near what does everyone think will happen this time around?

League Title: - Man U

Champions League: - Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal

Relegated: - West Brom, Hull, Stoke.

Think Liverpool will do a lot better this season but still not got enough depth to seriously challenge for the title. Am glad the whole Barry fiasco seems to have fallen through, although i still think £20 million is a hell of a lot for Keane when we could have got a decent winger or two instead.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    I gotta mostly agree with Maladjusted's prediction, but I wager that Chelsea'll have a stronger year this time around.

Can't see any other team pushing into the top four tbh.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    League title: Chelsea (even last year they pushed Utd all the way, with all of the problems they had with managers, injuries, Africans, etc).

Champions League: Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool in that order.

UEFA Cup: Everton, Villa, Man City (can't not predict us).

FA Cup: Man Utd

League Cup: Arsenal

Relegated: Bolton, Stoke, Hull

Agreed on Liverpool btw. You desperately need wingers imo.

After the other night, I think Man City are crying out for a really good left-back that can support Petrov in attack, but actually defend as well (we've got one of each, but neither can do both). We need an out-and-out right winger, a central midfielder capable of dominating a game, and an intelligent goal-poacher which we may or may not already have somewhere in our mountain of strikers.
    Champions: Celtic
    Champions League: Rangers
    UEFA: Dundee United, Hibs
    Relegated: St Mirren
    Bri-namite wrote: »

Sorry, who?

I do not know those teams :P
    Champions - Manchester United. Alot depends on if we can tie up Berbatov. Without him we're a bit thin up top and any further injuries could derail us. With him, and Ronaldo back in October, I don't think anyone could live with that attack. Chelsea are a big threat but I don't think they can improve much from last season, and people overstate their problems last season. Their injuries were not much worse than the other top clubs and they dropped 0 points during the ACN. Storm in a tea cup stuff. They just moaned about their problems loudest and people listened.

Champions League - Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool. Spurs could gatecrash the party and I think they are a legitimate threat to Arsenal and Liverpool, but I'll go with these guys because I'm not sure if Spurs will sort out their problem of being utterly crap away from home. They need to sign a defender too, then we can really give them a chance.

Relegated - West Brom, Hull, Stoke. Bit harsh on all the championship clubs who've just come up but it's going to be very difficult for them, especially when you have previous relegation candidates like Fulham spending £10m+ on the likes of Andy Johnson.
    Well after watching Chel$ki at the weekend I'm going to have a punt and say they will win the lot :-)

Quadrouple for the Chelsea LOL

That Chelsea team is basically the same as it was last year and the year before that, the core of the team is basically same except they've added the class of Deco.
    Now I have never seen them play such good stuff! A lot of people were wondering whether fat frank and deco could be in the same team, especially with Ballack as well, well they provided the perfect answer on Sunday.
    The midfield was awesome, they didn't have a rigid formation, stuck in a position, they did what they liked in the midfield area and played some excellent stuff.... Deco, Lampard, J.Cole, Mikel and Ballack just controlled the midfield central areas with excellent 1/2 touch passing in triangles (the basics done very well), getting the width from the fullbacks who were basically playing as wingers! Good stuff and for the first time I actually enjoyed watching them play... the contests between the top four are looking like their going to be a lot better games, we now have 3 clubs who play excellent football, if Liverpool can get that new strikeforce to gel with Gerrard then we may just have 4!

Long may it continue, think it will be Chelseas year.
    Chelsea looked good but it was against a piss-poor Portsmouth who look hopeless at the moment - yes I know United only drew 0-0 with them in the Community Shield, but it was the biggest 0-0 battering you'll ever see!

Chelsea's win has echoes of when they stuffed Man City 6-0 last season in one of Grant's first games, and everyone heralded a new era. I'll reserve judgement until I see them play away from home or against a decent side. Saying all that, I think that if United don't sign Berbatov, Chelsea will be big favourites for the title. Get the finger out Fergie and Gill!
    Champions : Man United

Champions League : Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool

UEFA Cup: Aston Villa, S**rs. Final place between Newcastle, Portsmouth and Man City.

FA Cup : Chelsea

League Cup : I'll go random and pick Blackburn.

Relegated : West Brom, Stoke. Between Fulham and Hull for 18th place.
    Addict wrote: »
    Chelsea looked good but it was against a piss-poor Portsmouth who look hopeless at the moment - yes I know United only drew 0-0 with them in the Community Shield, but it was the biggest 0-0 battering you'll ever see!
    Aren't you lot playing Pompey on Monday? We'll have a direct comparison then. If Man Utd get a jammy 1-0 win in the last minute, they'll win the league. There, I said it. :D
    Most sides in the Premier league would have looked piss-poor against a Chelsea side playing that kind of football, they have quality throughout the team and now they have a manger who will let them express themselves... bit like Fergie and Man U.
    Ronaldo won the title for the scum last year and with him missing the start of the season and then coming back after injury I can't see him re-producing that kind of form this season.
    Oooo and what game was you watching if you think it "echoed one of grants first wins??" :lol::lol: Chelsea have NEVER played football like that, not that I have ever seen anyway, and they had chances, good chances that they failed to put away, it could've easily being 10 goals or very close to!
    I hope Spurs tell Fergie and Man U to fuck, hypocrites crying the poor tale about Ronaldo and Real Madrids actions and they do exactly the same all the fucking time, the gin snorting red nosed bastard.
    Ronaldo won the title for the scum last year and with him missing the start of the season and then coming back after injury I can't see him re-producing that kind of form this season.

He doesn't need to if we sign Berbatov. He only needs to produce around 60% of what he did last season.
    Oooo and what game was you watching if you think it "echoed one of grants first wins??" :lol::lol: Chelsea have NEVER played football like that, not that I have ever seen anyway, and they had chances, good chances that they failed to put away, it could've easily being 10 goals or very close to!

Did you miss this last season? Believe me, that could have been 12 goals. I'm not doubting Chelsea's credentials and I'm not really diagreeing with you. I just want to wait to see them in a pressure game or away from home before passing judgement. That was where they unravelled last season as well.
    I hope Spurs tell Fergie and Man U to fuck, hypocrites crying the poor tale about Ronaldo and Real Madrids actions and they do exactly the same all the fucking time, the gin snorting red nosed bastard.

:lol:

We're by no means whiter than white when it comes to transfers (who is?), but at least we actually bid for Berbatov, that's the difference. Real Madrid played a campaign in the media, with their president, manager, and players speaking out about Ronalo every single day. The worst thing was they didn't even make a bid.
    Aren't you lot playing Pompey on Monday? We'll have a direct comparison then. If Man Utd get a jammy 1-0 win in the last minute, they'll win the league. There, I said it. :D

Except of course we're playing at Fratton Park. A narrow away win is just as impressive as a big home win.
    Except of course we're playing at Fratton Park. A narrow away win is just as impressive as a big home win.

Getting your excuses in early, eh? ;)
    Did you miss this last season? Believe me, that could have been 12 goals. I'm not doubting Chelsea's credentials and I'm not really diagreeing with you. I just want to wait to see them in a pressure game or away from home before passing judgement. That was where they unravelled last season as well.
    I didn't see the game personally but just cos the scoreline is big and has some reporter wanking over it doesn't mean they played footie like they played against pompey, like I've said I have never seen Chelsea play that kind of 1/2 touch passing triangle, quick, free-flowing, energetic football, its not how they have played. That is the reason I think its going to be their year, not just cos they won 4-0.
    The worst thing was they didn't even make a bid.
    I think you'll find they did, bout 75 million I think.

Ferguson said: "We haven't had any recent contact with Real Madrid. Has there been any attempt to heal the rift? Yeah, that will be right! They put a bid in. I don't know if it was fax or letter or whatever. Just one. It was sometime in the summer.
    I didn't see the game personally but just cos the scoreline is big and has some reporter wanking over it doesn't mean they played footie like they played against pompey, like I've said I have never seen Chelsea play that kind of 1/2 touch passing triangle, quick, free-flowing, energetic football, its not how they have played. That is the reason I think its going to be their year, not just cos they won 4-0.

I'm not disagreeing. Chelsea will undoubtedly play better football under Scolari as he knows he will be sacked if they don't. It would be pretty damn hard for them to be any more boring than under Mourinho and Grant. They look good. I'm just reserving judgement before succumbing to the current 'wankfest'.

I have noticed though that the ABUs and Liverpool fans are probably more excited by this new Chelsea team than Chelsea fans are themselves! I think some people were getting a bit tetchy that United were gonna do 3 in a row, especially the scousers.
    I think you'll find they did, bout 75 million I think.

Ferguson said: "We haven't had any recent contact with Real Madrid. Has there been any attempt to heal the rift? Yeah, that will be right! They put a bid in. I don't know if it was fax or letter or whatever. Just one. It was sometime in the summer.

A whole summer of media campaigns and everyone from the president from the ballboys having their say, followed by a token bid after they'd already done the damage. It just doesn't compare to the Berbatov saga in any shape or form.
    I'm not disagreeing. Chelsea will undoubtedly play better football under Scolari as he knows he will be sacked if they don't. It would be pretty damn hard for them to be any more boring than under Mourinho and Grant. They look good. I'm just reserving judgement before succumbing to the current 'wankfest'.

I have noticed though that the ABUs and Liverpool fans are probably more excited by this new Chelsea team than Chelsea fans are themselves! I think some people were getting a bit tetchy that United were gonna do 3 in a row, especially the scousers.
    I'm excited by good football, couldn't give a fuck if the scum won it 3 times in a row, I want to see top quality exciting football, especially from the top teams in the Premier, they have the best players in the league so they should play the best football!
    Arsenal have played it for a lot of years now, and so have Scum to a certain degree (more so the last couple of years IMO), and now we have a Chelsea side that look like there gonna play good football with good players. This can only be better for the league.
    Arsenal started well last year and fell away after the infmaous Birmingham game with Eduardos broken leg and Gallas crying like baby, if Arsenal can stay with it and the extra I think we're going to get from Chelsea the I'm hoping for an exciting year....and as a neutral (which means I don't care who ends up on top) this is what I'm hoping for.... I just made a prediction about Chelsea cos I had to pick one and for me they are going to be better than last year and they only jst missed out then so think it will be there turn.
    A whole summer of media campaigns and everyone from the president from the ballboys having their say, followed by a token bid after they'd already done the damage. It just doesn't compare to the Berbatov saga in any shape or form.
    Scum are no better than Madrid, they do it every year so don't cry the poor tale, it was Ronaldos fault as much as madrids, but cos he is still your player your going to reserve your wankfest for him and put all the blame on madrids door! Typical!! :-)
    come on chelsea! :yippe:
    I'm excited by good football, couldn't give a fuck if the scum won it 3 times in a row, I want to see top quality exciting football, especially from the top teams in the Premier, they have the best players in the league so they should play the best football!
    Arsenal have played it for a lot of years now, and so have Scum to a certain degree (more so the last couple of years IMO), and now we have a Chelsea side that look like there gonna play good football with good players. This can only be better for the league.
    Arsenal started well last year and fell away after the infmaous Birmingham game with Eduardos broken leg and Gallas crying like baby, if Arsenal can stay with it and the extra I think we're going to get from Chelsea the I'm hoping for an exciting year....and as a neutral (which means I don't care who ends up on top) this is what I'm hoping for.... I just made a prediction about Chelsea cos I had to pick one and for me they are going to be better than last year and they only jst missed out then so think it will be there turn.

I agree. I make Chelsea slight favourites with the current squads but I'm not losing faith. It is good that Chelses are aiming to become more watchable. I watched alot of their games last season to keep an eye obviously, but you felt like you'd been robbed of 90 minutes of your life each time.

Scum are no better than Madrid, they do it every year so don't cry the poor tale, it was Ronaldos fault as much as madrids, but cos he is still your player your going to reserve your wankfest for him and put all the blame on madrids door! Typical!! :-)

No, of course it's his fault too, but I don't think United are in any way comparable to Madrid. Every club in Europe hates Madrid and were imploring us to stand up to them. Even Bayern Munich supported us, which shows that we can't have been that bad in the Hargreaves affair which everyone tries to condemn us for. United aren't whiter than white (noone is), but Madrid are in a whole league of their own in terms of cuntishness. Everyone in Europe knows it. Oh well, fuck them, Calderon hasn't delivered on his word. Someone should put him in an empty room with a pistol and let him do the honourable thing.
    Chelsea grind out a boring, ugly, undeserved 1-0 win away to Wigan, after being largely outplayed and showing little quality.

Business as usual then? ;)
    So, in light of the last week, anyone fancy changing their predictions? :p
    Nope. More confident of my prediction now United have got Berbatov, and I think I was right not to get carried away about Chelsea after 1 game.
    No I'm sticking with Chelsea, think they will do the business this year, playing nice football or grinding out results, either way they will come out on top!
    BritJamez wrote: »
    Sorry, who?

I do not know those teams :P
    this teams is in Scottish Premier League.
    Champions League: Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool

UEFA Cup: Newcastle, Manchester City

FA Cup: Manchester Utd

League Cup: Tottenham

Relegated: Hull, WBA and Chelsea :D
    Somehow dont see newcastle getting anywhere this year.
    We're gonna win the league. :yippe: