Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What's The Best Advice You've Been Given?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    tinkler wrote: »
    Yeah that's clever isn't it, produce two posts I wrote at different periods of my life when my moods were different to suggest I'm contradicting myself. I wrote that like the only weekend I was feeling down about life, it was more a passing whim being philosophical. An awful lot has changed in my life since then (even tho it wasn't long ago), thanks to a change in my mindset to not waste a second not getting what I want.

Well, you didn't seem to have your issues resolved by the end of the post but fair enough.
    Why would I need 'someone to be a friend'? I'm a bloke, I don't cry, and I'm pretty void of emotion like sorrow, guilt, empathy most of the time. Have never needed a close friend my whole life, and if I ever should there's a string of people I have as acquaintances who would clearly want a closer friendship.

Being devoid of emotion is not a sign that you are a 'bloke'. Real men do have emotions.

Each to their own but friends enrich our lives in so many different ways. Going by this and your previous posts, I don't understand why anyone would want to be near you - let alone being a mere acquaintance. What on earth does any one find 'attractive' about you? You must hide your real personality from people very well which may indicate a level of deviousness about you.

I don't mean to sound nasty because I don't want to be, but you are so going to wake up with a bump one day. You won't make any relationship last and any children that you may have one day, will find you cold, distant and aloof. It's all well and fine while you have youth and looks on your side, but that will pass very rapidly. If anyone urgently needed counselling on this site, I would nominate you. I sincerely do hope you realise soon that you are not an island ... it would be a waste of your life if you left that realisation too late.
  • Options
    TashJTashJ Posts: 79 Budding Regular
    On a positive note, what was the best advice you had been given, that really had an impact on your life? Or maybe a well known quote, you strongly agree with?

The best piece of relationship advice I've received was from my grandmother. She was in her 80s at the time, and she was stuck in bed, recovering for a fall and my grandfather was doing his best to look after her. He'd just left the room when she turned to me and said:

"Make sure you marry a man who will be your friend. Romance and passion's important, but when you're eighty, what you'll really want is a man who'll carry you to the bathroom."
    :blush:

I only wish she'd lived to meet the friend I married.:heart:
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Well, you didn't seem to have your issues resolved by the end of the post but fair enough.

Being devoid of emotion is not a sign that you are a 'bloke'. Real men do have emotions.

Each to their own but friends enrich our lives in so many different ways. Going by this and your previous posts, I don't understand why anyone would want to be near you - let alone being a mere acquaintance. What on earth does any one find 'attractive' about you? You must hide your real personality from people very well which may indicate a level of deviousness about you.

I don't mean to sound nasty because I don't want to be, but you are so going to wake up with a bump one day. You won't make any relationship last and any children that you may have one day, will find you cold, distant and aloof. It's all well and fine while you have youth and looks on your side, but that will pass very rapidly. If anyone urgently needed counselling on this site, I would nominate you. I sincerely do hope you realise soon that you are not an island ... it would be a waste of your life if you left that realisation too late.

i think tinkler has had and still haveing problems with his masculinity cos he was flopping his previous attempts with girl. :)
  • Options
    CoolMiguel wrote: »
    i think tinkler has had and still haveing problems with his masculinity cos he was flopping his previous attempts with girl. :)

:)

I so don't want to appear insulting though, because everyone is different and I respect Tink's right to be different. I just cannot fathom, however, how his mind works. I find it all kinda sad ... :(
  • Options
    TashJ wrote: »
    The best piece of relationship advice I've received was from my grandmother. She was in her 80s at the time, and she was stuck in bed, recovering for a fall and my grandfather was doing his best to look after her. He'd just left the room when she turned to me and said:

"Make sure you marry a man who will be your friend. Romance and passion's important, but when you're eighty, what you'll really want is a man who'll carry you to the bathroom."

That is lovely and I'd nominate that for POTW.
  • Options
    From a book:
    "If it's dead don't dig it up every five minutes to check if there is a pulse"
    -Basically move on

And also my mate at uni told me: "If you want something go for it"

ie. Dont procrastinate and wait for the window of opportunity to close. This lesson I learnt the hard way, not having the courage to ask a girl I fancied out for a whole academic year, until it was too late and she was seeing somebody else.
  • Options

awww :blush: I love that. :heart:

I guess it is so so true too :)
  • Options
    Best advice I'd heard often, but not taken in until I realised through my own experiences:

Life is too short.

I don't mean what tinkler means necessarily though, as in everything has to have a purpose. But, don't waste time worrying, don't waste time regretting your mistakes, don't waste time feeling angry to people who have done bad things to you, don't stay in and hope that one day things will happen - because tomorrow, you might be dead, or something might happen that turns your whole life on its head. Seize the day and live life.
  • Options
    Only you can really make your dreams come true! Don't ever loose sight of them!

Oh...and always have a firm handshake no matter who you are shaking hands with!

Whoops! Thats not really relationship advice...well on a relationship note:

Everyone is playing the dating game! Always keep your options open!
  • Options
    I so don't want to appear insulting though, because everyone is different and I respect Tink's right to be different. I just cannot fathom, however, how his mind works. I find it all kinda sad ... :(
    Yes, my mindset and values are different to 99% of people. With a Type-A personality, I am hellbent on career, personal and health-related success, have no qualms fucking other people over to achieve my goals, using unethical / borderline illegal tactics at times, etc. BUT 90%+ of the time I am so fucking happy. I went out clubbing tonight and pulled 2 girls and I'm fucking euphoric. Why do people feel sorry for me when the majority of the time I am so fucking happy, I have no doubt more so than the majority of people out there who seem so up and down, or perpetually a little bit down.
  • Options
    Yes, my mindset and values are different to 99% of people. With a Type-A personality, I am hellbent on career, personal and health-related success, have no qualms fucking other people over to achieve my goals, using unethical / borderline illegal tactics at times, etc. BUT 90%+ of the time I am so fucking happy. I went out clubbing tonight and pulled 2 girls and I'm fucking euphoric. Why do people feel sorry for me when the majority of the time I am so fucking happy, I have no doubt more so than the majority of people out there who seem so up and down, or perpetually a little bit down.

As soon as you don't get what you want though, you become miserable. Your idea of happiness revolves around you getting what you want. For a lot of us - for me - happiness is just there. Yea, getting a job, or whatever, really makes me feel good for a bit. But that base level of happiness or unhappiness is always there.

What would you do if you got made redundant and couldn't afford to go out nightclubbing anymore? Would you then feel that you could not be happy because you could not get what you wanted? There's just so much more to life than personal gain.
  • Options
    Yes, my mindset and values are different to 99% of people.

As are with people with psychopathic tendencies.
  • Options
    I am hellbent on career, personal and health-related success, have no qualms fucking other people over to achieve my goals, using unethical / borderline illegal tactics at times, ... I went out clubbing tonight and pulled 2 girls and I'm fucking euphoric.

So you are happy to use Rohypnol then, huh?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm not sure who said it to me first, or maybe I read it (although my dad said it too recently; he could have been who I first heard it from) but this is the only piece of good advice I remember getting that wasn't about a specific situation:
    "Don't worry about things you can't change."

And another good one, that I read first and just remembered (I've not managed to follow it so well though):
    "Hope for the best possible outcome, prepare yourself for the worst."

Not sure which is better, so I'm saying both.
  • Options
    When I was a teenager / start of university, I was a really really nice guy. This means I was walked all over, used, wrapped around people's fingers, did nice things and got nothing back in return, and was friendzoned.

Today I am a complete and utter bastard and a total cunt. And I am so, so much better off for it. I get exactly what I want in life and am most of the time feeling fucking great and happy. I've minimised the time I waste getting nowhere, and efficiently ensure everything I do has a purpose that will improve my wellbeing/happiness, career or health.

Guys who are getting nowhere with girls and upset about that, turn into a fucking bastard, it will be so good for you. :thumb:

you sure you're not just some sad idiot sat on a computer :razz:?
  • Options
    Answering the OP ..

my best advice is drink a pint of water before beddy byes over a night out on the piss (great if I can ever remember)

and my nan always tells me to rise above it all which is hard but good advice.
  • Options
    You foregt what people say and do but not how they made you feel.
  • Options
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got that counts.

Buddhists would say that craving causes suffering, since the more you have, the more you want. I think it's an idea to consider what you're glad you do have at the moment, rather than focusing on what else you're lacking/you want to acquire next.
  • Options
    As are with people with psychopathic tendencies.

Doesn't everyone think differently and have different values? i presume tinkler's just being himself, which (to me at least) is something to admire. Sure, society does mould our views to a good extent but everyone still does think differently.
  • Options

That's so lovely!

The best advice was given to me by my mum, who said "Every second you spend unhappy is 60 seconds of happiness wasted."

Its really helped me learn to let go and get rid of negativity and I'm a much calmer, happier person for it.
  • Options
    Luce wrote: »
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got that counts.

Buddhists would say that craving causes suffering, since the more you have, the more you want. I think it's an idea to consider what you're glad you do have at the moment, rather than focusing on what else you're lacking/you want to acquire next.

I quite like a lot of the buddhist idealogy.

But I am too attatched to things like sex to not want it, or computer games, or anything I get excited about really.

My friend has converted though and she's much happier for it.
  • Options
    The best advice I've ever received was actually 2 weeks ago, from a female acquaintance.

She said don't be friends with girls - either have more than friendship (whether that's fucking, dating, a relationship) or nothing at all. She said if a girl you like just wants to be good friends tell her no, you're not interested in that. Don't waste your time being the chump who has to sit through being with a girl whinging how she can't get a guy / her bf is horrid etc. Fuck it all - demand more than friendship or cut them off entirely. This advice has made life so good in the last couple of weeks - I've "stopped my losses" not wasting any time with girls where things aren't going to work, and have got what I wanted with girls who like me but wanted to take things slower. This guy knows the deal - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8749401442170075570

what a load of absolute shit! my two best friends are females actually and they have the best god damm friends i have ever had. seriously. girls are so much easyer to talk to than alot of boys and i find i get on with girls really well.( i am straight by the way) lol. they have been there for me more times than all of my other friends put together. you sound like an arrogant prick to be honest and i will laugh when everyone realises that and you are left alone with no one to turn to. what a shit veiw on women.
  • Options

we think its sad because when you wake up and realise yuou are an ageing arrogant prick that has done nothing but fuck up other people lives i think you might feel a tad down then. you feel great now, fucking awsome i would expect but just wait. you will feel very lonely very soon. we may not be as euphoricly (is that a word) happy as you at the moment but thats probably due to the conciounc ( dont know how to spell) embedded in our brains. you will very soon have no one. you seem to think of people as things or possions that you can just use and discard.
  • Options
    The best advice I've ever received was actually 2 weeks ago, from a female acquaintance.

She said don't be friends with girls - either have more than friendship (whether that's fucking, dating, a relationship) or nothing at all. She said if a girl you like just wants to be good friends tell her no, you're not interested in that. Don't waste your time being the chump who has to sit through being with a girl whinging how she can't get a guy / her bf is horrid etc. Fuck it all - demand more than friendship or cut them off entirely. This advice has made life so good in the last couple of weeks - I've "stopped my losses" not wasting any time with girls where things aren't going to work, and have got what I wanted with girls who like me but wanted to take things slower. This guy knows the deal - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8749401442170075570

I don't know what's wrong with being friends with a girl. Admittedly I don't have a lot nowadays, cuz most girls I met didn't live up to what I look for in a friend (I hope this doesn't sound horrible!). If she's whining to you you, how she can't get a guy, or her b/f is horrid, tell her to stop whining and do something for it! Like, "look at me? I don't had any rlship for years now, do you see me crying?". If she can't take it and just want you to be her emotional tampon (thanks MattLiverpool for this expression), she's not cut out to be your friend. That doesn't mean that every girl is like that. And I have to say, I made a couple very important experiences with female friends, as they sometimes give really good advice, different to a boy's adivce or inadvertently teach you how to be a witty, not shy, charismatic guy around girls which will help you lots when it comes to pulling.

Someone being whiny and miserable all the time isn't sex related. Just because someone's a pussy doesn't mean he has one too.

advice I heard from a good friend's father I only met a few times (because he traveled a lot and is now divorced and lives elsewhere).

"The harder you work when you are young (i.e. on your education), the easier you'll have it later on and the more money you'll earn."
    sounds stupid and obvious, but it did something for me.

I'll think about more later.
    Oh I've got another one...

You always regret the things you didn't do, more than the things you did.

:yes:
    http://xkcd.com/458/

If it works: leave it.
    If it's broken: mend it
    If you can't mend it: get rid of it.

Works for a lot of things imho,... relationships too.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Best advice I'd heard often, but not taken in until I realised through my own experiences:

Life is too short.

I don't mean what tinkler means necessarily though, as in everything has to have a purpose. But, don't waste time worrying, don't waste time regretting your mistakes, don't waste time feeling angry to people who have done bad things to you, don't stay in and hope that one day things will happen - because tomorrow, you might be dead, or something might happen that turns your whole life on its head. Seize the day and live life.

Thanks for this I will remember it as one of the best advice that I heard. In fact I will read it out tomorrow morning to help me stop regretting my mistakes.(English is not my first language so sorry If I have made mistakes in a process)
  • Options
    One of my teachers back at school said don't grow up too fast, you only get a few years of childhood and (hopefully) decades of adulthood. So don't try and be an adult too soon, you've got plenty of time for all that. At 19 I wanna be a kid as long as I can!

awww so true.I'm in my 20's and I wanna be a teenager again sooo bad!:banghead: :D
  • Options
    Best bit of advice I've ever been given?

I don't know if I've ever been sat down and explicitly told 'x and y' or whatever, so the way I live my life is more down to a process of osmosis from all the people I've met in my nearly 26 years on this earth.

Basically, things are never that bad, if you do your best nobody can ask for anything more, and if you want something, go for it.

I wish I had a yoda-figure in my life though...
  • Options
    I'm ultimately responsible for my emotions. No one can 'make' me feel anything, how I react and behave towards how someone acts is down to me. And because I own my feelings, it's up to me to ensure my needs are met, and not pin my hopes on someone else to do all that for me.
  • Options
    I've learned that it's best to forget problems and focus on the good things in life.
  • Options
    'What's The Best Advice You've Been Given?'

Get the money first. :)