Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Alcoholism

2»

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Skinner wrote: »
    Yes but your brain can't. Alcohol definitely causes brain damage, albeit progressively, by killing brain cells which can't be replaced.
    Speed has not been known to cause anything like as much damage and users who come off the drug are not known to suffer long term side-effects. I could not have talked to you this way years ago because of the death of millions of neurons.

Bye.

Speed is highly addictive and can cause serious mental health problems as well as physicla problems.
    Regualr use of speed will fuck you up.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes but your brain can't. Alcohol definitely causes brain damage, albeit progressively, by killing brain cells which can't be replaced.
    Speed has not been known to cause anything like as much damage and users who come off the drug are not known to suffer long term side-effects. I could not have talked to you this way years ago because of the death of millions of neurons.

Bye.

Except of course that amphtamines are dangerous for blood pressure, the heart, lungs, kidneys aside from all the mental health issues which come from consistant use of speed. Oh and theres that dopamine reward system thing to consider but lets not make things too complicated.
    The only drug to be proven to be of any use in the treatment of cocaine or alcohol addiction is ibogaine, but that has to be administered in very strict conditions and isnt for the faint of heart.
    budda wrote: »
    The only drug to be proven to be of any use in the treatment of cocaine or alcohol addiction is ibogaine, but that has to be administered in very strict conditions and isnt for the faint of heart.
    Would be nice to see that on the NHS :D
    mad for suggesting a regular speed habit .. a weekender on it and im dying..
    Drinking
    z- wrote: »
    mad for suggesting a regular speed habit .. a weekender on it and im dying..

Well try supplementing Speed at the weekends with MDMA powder in the week.

Cheers.
    Well try supplementing Speed at the weekends with MDMA powder in the week.

Cheers.

WTF!? You can't be serious?!
    What's that smell? Troll Bullshit?
    Drinking
    g_angel wrote: »
    WTF!? You can't be serious?!

I am always serious concerning matters as serious as this!
    The lad needs to know his limitations.

Thanks.
    I am always serious concerning matters as serious as this!
    The lad needs to know his limitations.

Thanks.

Mate - you are registering high on the dumb-as-fuck-o-meter if you are seriously suggesting using MDMA through the week and phet on weekends as substitutes for alcohol.

Get a grip, head out of arse, and stop suggesting such utter, utter shite.
    Get a grip, head out of arse, and stop suggesting such utter, utter shite.

Wait - we've not heard the guy's response yet.

Chaps'

Chaps'

It doesn't matter. What you posted was such ridiculously bad advice that it should be etched into the annals of time.

It's like saying to somebody with ear-ache "Jam something sharp in your other ear. You won't notice the problem then".

Chaps'

waiting eagerly for my reply?

:lol::lol:

you whack away fella, id rather drink every day than take mdma all week and speed all weekend if it came to it

anyhow, hes either trolling or seriously stupid
  • +Chimpy++Chimpy+ Deactivated Posts: 37 Boards Initiate
    Hi everyone,

There have been some really helpful posts but I think the recommendation to supplant a genuine alcohol problem with amphetamines is not helpful, and somewhat neglects the seriousness of the original post.

Dreamy Me, I hope you manage to find the help you need and feel as if you can talk to your friends about it. If you are still struggling then professional help is always to hand. You can call DrinkLine, the national alcohol helpline to discuss the issues you?re facing. It?s free and offers confidential information and advice: 0800 917 8282 (Mon -Fri, 9am -11pm).

There is also AlcoholConcern.org.uk and Alcoholics Anonymous, both of which provide a wealth of information and advice.

I really hope you manage to work through your problem soon.

Take care,
    C.

Bye.

you are out of your mind. Speed is not anything like a healthy alternative, its just as bad, more so in some ways, plus its illegal, so you never know what youre getting, addictive and has some really really nasty side effects.

Replacing one addiction with another is NEVER a good idea.
    dreamy_me wrote: »
    I really just need some advice...

I've had a problem with alcohol for a good few years now, and have made many attempts at staying sober, which have all failed. My problem is that, when I start to drink, there's something inside me which doesn't want or know when to stop. I get out of control, and very, very messy and hysterical. It all came to a head the other night, when after nearly months of not drinking, I decided that it would be ok to have a drink. My closest friends had come over to my house, for a reunion and a piss up, as they'd all been travelling for months, so it was the first time we'd been together.

I thought I would be fine, I'd not drunk for ages, and believed that this time it'd be different, one drink would be fine, I could control it etc etc etc.

It ended up with me putting my head through my window...

My friends, I think, felt bad, because they know of my problems with alcohol, and they'd all come over for the specific purpose to get wasted. I felt like I couldn't say no to alcohol. I don't want them to feel bad, because it's not their problem, it's mine, and I don't want them to be constantly feeling like they can't drink because of me. They've spent the past 3 years looking after me pretty much most weekends, (for which I am so much more grateful than they will ever know, and I love them all so much for putting up with me for that length of time and not deserting me) and now I've decided to quit drinking for good, I don't want them to pussyfoot around me and think, 'We need to be careful around her...' etc etc.

But it's just so hard to stop when drinking is such a massive part of my friends (and my) lives. I don't know what to do. I've been avoiding going out in social situations where drink is present, which is pretty much most situations, but last night, I went to the pub, and stayed sober. It was so hard, and I hated every minute of seeing my friends drink, and knowing that I couldn't even have one drink (it's a downward spiral for me I think) and I wanted to cry all night.

I just need advice on what to do really. How to help myself etc.

Thanks

I've come across a website about How to stop drinking alcohol, you can read it here: http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/alcohol-abuse/how-to-stop-drinking-alcohol
    I hope it will help you to get control yourself

==============================================

Learn the facts about alcohol, including information on the effects of alcohol and the truth about Alcohol Addiction.
    Drinking

Sorry I didn't realise the person who was needing drink advice was a female.
    I really do apologise for all my comments about MDMA and Speed.
    If I had known this was a female I would have told her to just calm down a 'bit' with the drinking and to only do it with firends, not on her own.

Goodbye,
    Anon.
    Sorry I didn't realise the person who was needing drink advice was a female.
    I really do apologise for all my comments about MDMA and Speed.
    If I had known this was a female I would have told her to just calm down a 'bit' with the drinking and to only do it with firends, not on her own.

Goodbye,
    Anon.

You are very strange.
    Amphetamine is an extremely risky drug.
    What has gender to do with your madcap advice?

Is calm down a bit ...your general advice for all problems faced by women ...cos it wouldn't surprise me?
    You are very strange.
    Amphetamine is an extremely risky drug.
    What has gender to do with your madcap advice?

Is calm down a bit ...your general advice for all problems faced by women ...cos it wouldn't surprise me?

Yes OK I agree I might have been a little silly suggesting use of these drugs to cure alcoholism and I withdraw them.
    Yes "calm down a bit" is the advice I give to women..but it seems to work as I don't think violence or panicking is the solution to any problem.

Cheers.
    your head is lit mate
    Alcohol
    your head is lit mate

Like Dr. NRG and Richie Rich? Cool!
    no, like some eejit who doesnt have a fuckin baldy what hes on about :thumb:
    Alcohol
    no, like some eejit who doesnt have a fuckin baldy what hes on about :thumb:

Watch your language bag of scum before someone does you some damage.
    :lol: threats on the internet :D
    Watch your language bag of scum before someone does you some damage.

the names z :cool:

n aye thats me defo fucked now, threats over a board ;)

away n stick a bag of that speed up your hole or whatever the fuck it is you do..
    Yeah, i'll think we'll close this now, there's been a lot of good advice given and the OP should feel free to post another thread is she would like some more advice or has any updates on the situation - everyone else please try to avoid insults, even when the advice someone is giving is this... err... you know I can't even come up with an appropriate word.
This discussion has been closed.