Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Holistic therapy (as a job)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all
I'm considering a fairly drastic career change at the moment and have been looking at a variety of different options, one of which is holistic therapy. It's only a vague idea at the moment but appeals to me as a totally different path to the "big soulless office" environment, plus I like the idea of helping people feel better (something that definitely is not involved with my current job). I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience of working in this field and if so how you got into it - whether you found it enjoyable, what the pay's like, etc. I'm 27, so not exactly fresh out of school/uni, but I've found there are several NVQ part time evening courses in my area I could do in this sort of thing.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've always thought of holistic therapies as a bit namby pamby

Actually aren't chiropractors holistic therapists? I got referred to one when I had a cyst in my wrist and he started prodding my ribs and asking me about my diet. When I said I often get bloated he said its because I'm lopsided (thanks) and made me lie down on the table with my arms folded across my chest, at this point thinking I'm about to die under the hands of this loony, and what the hell has this got to do with my wrist?!?!?! He then did what I can only describe as some kind of wrestling move on me and the bones in my chest crunched. It was lovely. He said that should cure my bloatedness (it hasn't) and I then went to the actual hospital to have my cyst removed by a surgeon, which is what I should have done in the first place

Not very helpful here, but I think you have to really believe in the whole mind, body, spirit thing, which I don't
    Yeah, you could be right. I'm not sure about crunching bones and all that jazz, but I'm quite interested in massage so was thinking along those lines...I don't know, I'm being very vague about it all. Guess I'm just trying to find something (anything!) to get me out of this job :(
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Yeah, you could be right. I'm not sure about crunching bones and all that jazz, but I'm quite interested in massage so was thinking along those lines...I don't know, I'm being very vague about it all. Guess I'm just trying to find something (anything!) to get me out of this job :(

Massage sounds much better than the crazy man I went to. You can do massage without it needing to have healing benefits. I'm not saying there's no benefits to holistic therapies, but I do think they claim to work more miracles than they actually do
    Yeah, that's more what I meant - didn't really explain it properly, sorry. I'm more interested in the relaxation side of things rather than alternative medicine (I agree with you, some of that can be very namby pamby). Not sure how much the two are interlinked, I think I need to start doing some research :chin:
    When I was at college I did a course in Reflexology. It was a night course, one night a week for about 4 months. I really enjoyed it! Holistic therapy can be a really good subject to learn especially with all the different treatments and how parts or the body link to each other and can have a knock on effect. There all sorts of things you can do from aromapherapy to reki healing! Alot of full time courses cover quite a few of them :)
    Although they can be expensive especially if you need to buy oils for massage they can be more expensive than you think and the uniforms too.