Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Student poverty

PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Poor Lily is feeling a bit broke after two years of uni... check out her latest diary entry.

Student poverty
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rather you than me. Still, you'll probably look back in around ten years and think "actually, those years were pretty good". Most people seem to.

I'm just glad that I'm not going to university anymore.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Rather you than me. Still, you'll probably look back in around ten years and think "actually, those years were pretty good". Most people seem to.

I'm just glad that I'm not going to university anymore.
    Is this for reals this time? You've been saying you're going and then not going more times than something thats really indecisive. You really should, its ace. You'll only probably regret it if you don't!

As for the diary entry, i know exactly where the writer is coming from with regard to making lists about how much work im going to do (and the watching of entire tv series' and the napping)...good times :hyper:

I know its the standard for most students to be skint, and most of the time we are, but like the diary entry mentions - we're not really skint in the grand scale of things and theres normally a bit of cash left over for a good spot of the old binge drinkeroo.

So this is more to sg than anyone but dont let the expense of university put you off (if it has). It really is an amazing experience thats hard to describe unless you've lived it!
  • Options
    I spent a shitload at university (approx £15k) on drinks, clothes anything else I fancied- thats not including any student loans or money given by family. Kinda got carried away living away from home and having my own credit cards, but I'm paying for it now.

In a way I do regret things, because I still could have had a great time without improving the cash flow of half the pubs in Nottingham.

Now I'm a slave to fucking MasterCard. Just shit I learnt the hardway. :thumb:
  • Options
    I remember this so well. I was always skint but at the same time I always found ways to make ends meet. I wasn't even living a poor life, owning a car and a horse. But I had to be clever about where to save to get away with it. I had so many 'oh shit...' moments when looking at my finances. ;)

And whenever I wanted to moan about how poor I was, my mom would go 'what, do you think me and your dad had it easy when we were studying with three kids?' Shut me up every time. :lol:
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    Is this for reals this time? You've been saying you're going and then not going more times than something thats really indecisive. You really should, its ace. You'll only probably regret it if you don't! So this is more to sg than anyone but dont let the expense of university put you off (if it has).
    For reasons that I won't go into right now, I'm not going to discuss this in public. I will, however, send you a PM answering your question in due course.
  • Options
    The trick is just being organised, easier said than done when things are manic at the end of term! I'm going into my 2nd year of 3 of uni, have £40 spare after rent and paying back money I borrowed for my car. Loan is there to support me if I need it, and for books. I live at home, which is probably why I've saved so much though.
  • Options
    That article is fantastic!
  • Options
    A cheap bottle of cider goes a long way when times are hard in uni.

Financially uni has been a bit of a mixed bag for me. Sometimes I'd be working, getting a good wage and also have a healthy loan/grant to fall back on. Others I'd be unemployed and having to pay for rent and bills and stuff so would have little extra on the side.

I also don't think it's that hard for a student to get a part time job in uni, especially in big cities there's always some shitty wee job floating about somewhere.