Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting a job with no previous work experience.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have never really been employed before. I did 6.5months at pizza hut but most of that time was the training, and I had to leave after a moped accident had me off my feet for 8 weeks!

Only thing is, I didn't officially leave and I wasn't fired. I just didn't really come back after the accident and they obviously didn't need me because they never got back into contact with me.

So at the prospect of not making uni this year I'm gonna have to get a job, I just really struggle with previous work experience or the sections where they require a reference from a previous employer.

Whats the best thing to do?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This may get moved into the 'work' forum.

My suggestion would be to get some volunteer work which you could possibly use for references. You could also ask a teacher at your old school to act as a reference.

You may find that some jobs won't mind too much, depends what you are going for. A good way in may be via a temp to perm job and then I don't think they are too bothered with references.

Good luck!

Splodgey
    Oops! I COMPLETELY fogot about that catagory. Please move :o

Thanks for your tips Splodgey :D
    I found that the volunteering helped too. In the second half of 2002, I applied for 118 jobs and had 6 interviews. All were rejected on the grounds of experience, or lack of. I went into volunteering in early 2003 and it went on my CV etc. Suddenly, like the flick of a lightswitch, I was getting interview offers like there was no tomorrow, to the extent that they were clashing one another. After 6 months on the dole, I was employed in February 2003.
    i've never had a job either... hope you find one that you enjoy. i'm sure that there will be some places that take on newbies, i mean, we have to start somewhere! lol
    Nutter wrote: »
    i've never had a job either... hope you find one that you enjoy. i'm sure that there will be some places that take on newbies, i mean, we have to start somewhere! lol
    Lets hope so :D
    Really big up your experience at pizza hut, go on about customer service, team work etc. My only other job was in 2005 before i found a job a few weeks ago and that was just waitressing at a tiny pub, so i just really went on about that and mentioned my work experience i did at a primary school too. It took me ages before anyone got back to me. I was up against 25 people going for 3 jobs and managed to get it! I did volunteer at a cats protection place but i only ever went in the once and never went back because the staff were horrible to me :(, but don't let that put you off.
    When you have no experience ideally recruitment agencys will find you something or at least be able to point you in the right direction. Also try writing a professional CV including what unique qualitys you can and will give to the companies you are applying for instead of focusing on your previous experience.
    6 and a half months is enough time to big it up on your cv. Don't say that you were just being trained, concentrate on what other stuff you had to do there. You can still ask for a reference from them