Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bumping people off the network?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a family member staying for a while who uses his laptop on my wi-fi which I agreed to - I take responsbility for this.

The thing is he's downloading all kinds of stuff - nothing I should be worried about but he's using utorrent etc and absolutely hammering my bandwidth.

This has the knock-on effect of making my web connection incredibly slow.

It would create an atmosphere I don't want if I straight out and asked him to stop, and that's not what this thread is about, that's a subject for a different thread.

What I want to know is, is there a way (other than disconnecting the router) I can moof him off the network temorarily? Is there some kind of application I can add which sends a signal to the router to disconnect then reconnect?

Comments

• Options
    Change the wifi settings (security key)
  • Options
    I don't really want to keep him off all the time, just the occasional disconnection - can that be done?
  • Options
    i would ask him to only download at certain times, like overnight. Its common sense and hes being selfish if hes doing it all the time, just tell him how much it slows internet down when downloading
  • Options
    SCC this thread isn't about that! TUT TUT TUT.
  • Options
    *hangs head in shame*
  • Options
    If it were me, I'd use traffic shaping to deprioritise his traffic, or if I couldn't be bothered with that level of configuration, I'd probably give him 3% packet loss and a 128/800 Mb/s up/download cap.

I don't know if your hardware can do that.
  • Options
    Glenn, go to the QOS section of your router. You can restrict an IP to a certain bandwidth. I think that bandwidth restriction is more of an ideal solution instead of cutting him off at various times of the day. I had to do the same QOS thing when I used to live in a house share. One guy would hammer it out with P2P downloads. Luckily, I owned the router, so I just set some QOS rules on the offender.

Don't ask me how to do QOS, as it will differ between router models. You'll need to consult your manual.
  • Options
    I'd say to your family member you got a phone call from your ISP that your going to be disconnected for over downloading.

Certainly scare you family member :)
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    I'd say to your family member you got a phone call from your ISP that your going to be disconnected for over downloading.

Certainly scare you family member :)

Brilliant idea Mr. Cool! In fact, I think ISP's normally send a warning by letter, so perhaps Glenn should fake a letter to make it look like it came from his ISP :-)
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Glenn, go to the QOS section of your router. You can restrict an IP to a certain bandwidth. I think that bandwidth restriction is more of an ideal solution instead of cutting him off at various times of the day. I had to do the same QOS thing when I used to live in a house share. One guy would hammer it out with P2P downloads. Luckily, I owned the router, so I just set some QOS rules on the offender.

Don't ask me how to do QOS, as it will differ between router models. You'll need to consult your manual.

Kudos to you sir, this was the perfect reply! I'm getting a more technologically-aware mate (ie he wears glasses) to sort it out for me this afternoon :)
  • Options
    You could just switch on MAC address filtering every now and again.
  • Options
    :o are you implying that people wear glasses are more technologically-aware than people who do not wear glasses!

I'll have you know, I don't wear glasses :)
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    :o are you implying that people wear glasses are more technologically-aware than people who do not wear glasses!

I'll have you know, I don't wear glasses :)
    Noob.
  • Options
    Noob.

:eek2:
  • Options
    Kudos to you sir, this was the perfect reply! I'm getting a more technologically-aware mate (ie he wears glasses) to sort it out for me this afternoon :)

You're looking for a technical solution for a human problem - your relative's overuse and your lack of backbone.

Another technical solution could be to download a program that hypnotises you into not being such a wimp .. :rolleyes:

http://vhypno.sourceforge.net/

mainscreen.jpg