Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Man at work smells

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A guy at work smells really bad... I feel sick walking past him.

A lot of people make fun of him behind his back... Should I say something?

Somebody should say something, as a guy has said he is going to tell the boss.

What would you do?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd tell my manager that it's unpleasant and it makes him difficult to work around. If I were the manager and had to tell him, i'd tell him politely and not rudely that his smell was offensive to other staff members and ask him if there was a problem and whether he was noticing it himself.
    there was a guy who stank somewhere i used to work and eventually the manager had to have a word. Id hate to be the one telling someone that.

Theres a guy who works at the local shop who stinks of dirty unwashed smell and it makes me feel really nauseous, ive often thought bout making a complaint
    i guess it would depend on whether you usually speak to him or not...could you have a friendly word with him or would it be weird? im sure if i had this problem (!) id rather be told by a work mate then pulled up by a manager :/

a woman at my work had really bad BO problems, lots of people complained and the manager had to have a word with her in the office. imagine having to tell someone they need to wash more :o at my work they had this little kit too, that they give out, it had like mini bottles of shampoo, deodarant, shower gel etc!
    Does the guy at work have super white skin?

I know at school we had two kids who were both really white and they both has a similar smell about them a bit like rotting flesh kinda smell ... I think it's genetic / medical thing.

There was also a guy at the gym who had a similar smell and whenever he walked past you or worked out near you the smell was really off putting
    Theres a manager where I work that really stinks, you could swear he hasn't washed in over a week most times. I'm really glad he isn't my manager and works with another team. Imagine having to report to a stinking, smelly manager every day :yuck:
    You should all band together and get him a mug printed with the words 'Hello Stinky' on the side in big bold letters then leave it on his desk and all laugh loudly when he finds it....either that or just let the manage have a word, they'll probably be able to point out the problem better than you can anyway and if one random person from the office was to point it out they may just ignore and resent you for it anyway.
    Ugh that is awful. There is a woman at our work who bathes this super cheap flower perfume. The office I'm in isn't all too near her and I can smell it all day long like she is sitting next to me. Luckily it is only occasionally. I'd say telling the boss or the HR person nicely would work. Apperantly there was somebody who marinated in their perfume at the boyfriends fathers job (along with some women wearing tube tops and short skirts at work :eek2: ) And they just sent around a little memo to everybody reminding them of offensive clothing and smells and stop them. So then it is not directly at him which could cause offense but hopefully he'll get the message!
    DG wrote: »
    Does the guy at work have super white skin?

I know at school we had two kids who were both really white and they both has a similar smell about them a bit like rotting flesh kinda smell ... I think it's genetic / medical thing.

There was also a guy at the gym who had a similar smell and whenever he walked past you or worked out near you the smell was really off putting

Nono... He's mixed race, so his skin isn't mega white.

He smells like when you leave the washing in the dryer for ages, but throw in parmesan cheese and onions for good measure.

I shit you not...

It makes me feel quite sick, but I am sure people will complain. Thing is, he hasn't got very good skin on his arms and I wonder if it is because of his skin, or because he's a big fella.
    If someone smells then they won't be able to tell themselves most of the time as they'll be immune to the smell.

Same with people you live with - you stay with them long enough you can't smell them as strong, but if someone new comes in then you can really smell their scent.

Maybe you could send them an anonymous but kindly worded email.