Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Writing a CV that will actually get me a job!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm quitting McDonalds forevarrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Woo!

But I suck at getting jobs. Like, ubersuck. I suck even worse at writing a good CV. My main problem is making myself look good. Like, I want to mention on there that I was being considered for promotion at McD's but due to the fact that despite being on a list of potentials I wasn't giving the training needed to show how good I could be, but how would I say that without making my managers look like wankers (which they are, but ya know).

I also can't open my old CV because it's an older version of Word and for some reason Word 2007 won't open it. Sooooo I need to completely re-write it and like I said, I suck at it :p.

Help please :(.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you still being considered for promotion? If so you could just say that you are currently being considered for it but have just not heard either way yet. Although, that would probably go better in a covering letter.
    What kind of new job do you want? What transferable skills do you have? It's all about showing how you can adapt the skills from one job to another :)
    Franki wrote: »
    I also can't open my old CV because it's an older version of Word and for some reason Word 2007 won't open it.

I've got Word 2003 and 2007 installed on my laptop. Feel free to email me the old version and I'll save it as a 2007 version and send it back if you like :)
    Are you still being considered for promotion? If so you could just say that you are currently being considered for it but have just not heard either way yet. Although, that would probably go better in a covering letter.
    In theory yes, but nothing is being done about it and every time I say "can I go in the kitchen today?" the answer is always no, and if I'm scheduled in there I always end up on the front counter anyway. Basically - management are rubbish. I did say when I was told about "The List" that if I didn't get the promotion by the time I went back to uni that I would be leaving for good but obviously they think I'm lying or they don't care.

Crystal Tipps - my old CV is crappy anyway so it doesn't matter :). I'm looking mostly for retail or something along those lines because it's what I have most experience in. I am actually getting pretty good at team-leading because I always end up being given responsibility I'm not being paid for, I work really quickly and efficiently and I have reeeeeeeeeeeally good customer service.
    just a tip franki but i wouldn't put in the CV that you were considered for promotion, that's something you can bring up in an interview if you need to. stick to what you're good at, my CV starts with..

"I am a confident professional with a diverse and solid background in IT engineering and consultancy, committed to developing and learning to improve my knowledge and ability. My interest in computing began through personal use and college where I studied IT and CCNA, and at university where I learned how to design, install, and manage computer networks. I have developed a wide comprehension in computing and business through subsequent employment, where I have demonstrated the ability to learn and apply new technologies and skills quickly and effectively in busy commercial environments."
    Someone knows how to show off :D

One day I may re-visit this thread and post *I stole this!*
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Someone knows how to show off :D

It's called "selling yourself" :yes: . No one else is going to do it for you and your CV is your first/only chance with potential employers so you might as well make it a good one!
    Are you quiting like now - or when you go back to uni? Because you must have less than a month to go and it might be somewhat hard to find a job in that period.

But yarrr you have to sell yourself - so write all your skills up front. Remember to add in things about good communication skills - written and oral (you can use your degree here), good time managment, ability to be a team player (you could even use your peru trip here), ability to lead teams - give examples for them all.

Also things like X years experience in customer service - will do you wonders as well.
    Franki wrote: »
    Crystal Tipps - my old CV is crappy anyway so it doesn't matter :). I'm looking mostly for retail or something along those lines because it's what I have most experience in. I am actually getting pretty good at team-leading because I always end up being given responsibility I'm not being paid for, I work really quickly and efficiently and I have reeeeeeeeeeeally good customer service.

You've practically written the profile statement yourself there, so how about..

"Outgoing and confident, I am passionate about customer service and often praised for going the extra mile to provide service to be proud of. With X years experience, I am quick to learn new skills and efficient in carrying out routine tasks with minimal supervision. I am a proven effective team member who is also capable of taking charge when required and leading my team to achieve a common goal. Now seeking a new challenge and looking ahead to maximising my skills and abilities."

On my CV, I've got a Profile section (something like the above, but admin related), then my Key Skills which is bullet points relevant to the job I'm applying for (ie my transferable skills), then my Qualifications and Training info. On the second page, I have my Work History (when I got my last job for an insurance broker, the idea was to hook them in with the info on the first page so that when they got to the second page and found out I was a waitress they wouldn't be too bothered and I'd have already sold myself enough on the first page to get an interview), then my Educational History and finally random bits of info like "Single, No Dependants, Driver, Clean Licence, Own Car" etc.