Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tips on making a good impression/new friends

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so I star a new college on Tuesday and as sad as this sounds I could do with a few tips on making new friends there as although I'll know some people from school etc I dont have any close friends going...

:D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Be yourself! That's the best advice I can give. If people don't like you for who you are then fuck them. It's better to be hated for who you are than liked for who you are not.

Smile too, it will make you more approachable and just remember you're all in the same boat so people will be keen to make new friends so everyone should be friendly anyway.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Give other people a chance. Making good friends is as much about being open to people who may not give the best first impression themselves as it is making that good first impression yourself! :)

ETA: sorry, a bit long winded but I hope it makes sense.
    I am always attracted to people who smile. Smiling makes you seem more approachable. And it's infectious. Smile at people ... anyone ... everyone .... and I am sure people will be queing up for some of whatever they think it is you're taking. ;):p
    Don't try too hard. Desperation is very off-putting, I should know.
    Aside from all the decent advice mentioned I'd also say to make friends you actually need to make the effort!

Ask them questions about themselves and generally get to know them. Try not to be too shy and reserved, I know it can take a lot to break the mould and make the first move (I've been there) but I've bit the bullet so many times now and I've had positive results from people 99% of the time.

You'll be sound, good luck and, as mentioned above, just be yourself!
    dont change anything to make new friends
    just wait for some other people like you to be friends with
    Usual social rules really. Don't continuously talk about yourself or dominate the conversation. (I doubt you do this anyway!) and be interested and friendly towards other people :)
    I remember when my sister started 6th form in 1996. She sat thinking what she should wear on her first day. She pondered it through literally for hours :-)
    In general people are attracted to confident and entusiastic people. If you keep your confidence above board especially when with people you are going to see often, they will become friendly with you without a doubt
    Already been said but
    1. SMILE. So, so important. Permanent small grin.
    2. Don't make it as if you desperately want to make friends. Play it really cool.