Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting into IT with an entry level job...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Really keen on getting onto the IT ladder.

I have been working in a supermarket for the past ten years since i left school but have always had an interest in IT. I have an Intermediate GNVQ to my name at a pass level and wondered if its possible to get an entry level job and work my way up?

This kind of work easy enough to come by? If so where would i start? Careers advice? agencies etc?

Would appreciate the advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It might be easier to get a HNC/HND by doing evening classes at college while you're still working. Enrolement will open for evening classes shortly - get in touch with your local college :)
    I think the market is saturated actually (regardless of qualifications - for those experienced though there is always someone hiring) but I'm not sure. I know it can be tricky getting in there and the current state of the jobs market cant help.
    your best bet is to focus on an area with demand, don't bother with the N+ / A+ / MCP certs every man and his dog has them. you can start at entry level doing 1st / 2nd line support without any real quals as long as you are savvy and work your way up from there (temping through agencies most likely, it's how I started), but without industry certs or a degree a lot of companies won't look at your CV so it's all about building up your skills. even if you have the paper without commercial experience your options are limited so everyone has to start somewhere.

what part of IT do you like, is it OS / networks / apps / storage etc? very different paths you can take, programming and Unix/Linux bore the hell out of me so i stay away from it, actually most areas do it took 3 years and 5 jobs to find one that i don't get bored of after a few months!
    Tricky at the moment as a lot of the entry jobs that used to exist have been outsourced to call centres offshore.

Best bet might be an agency.