Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

help...in a crap situation, need advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
really needing some advice as at the moment im in a pretty rotten situation which is doing my head in. basically i graduated as a primary teacher last year and finished my probation year (you get given a job for a year after you graduate but are still mentored and stuff) in june and am now in the same place as loads of other teachers - no job (teaching jobs are ridiculously thin on the ground in scotland, dunno about anywhere else), on the supply teaching list, waiting to hear about work and getting nothing.

i still live with my parents and with my "sitting about" all summer and now the schools have gone back, they are getting anxious. they keep pressing me to get a job, a "normal" job in a shop or office or something, as i need money coming in (most importantly they need their dig money :rolleyes: ). i do agree with them though, i need a job and need money coming in.

however, im reluctant to get a "normal" job right away, im on the supply list and will be sending out letters to schools to let them know i am available. and though its rubbish waiting, i feel that (and have read on teaching forums) that the best way into getting a job is through supply work - the school gets to know you, you get long term supply, a job comes up in the school etc. so im inclined to hold off getting a "normal" job for a few more weeks yet, i want to see what happens with the supply situation.

im getting awful pressure from my parents though. what would folk advise? i just bite the bullet and get a "normal" job and wait to see what teaching jobs come up? or wait and see what happens on the supply list (and get into major grief with my parents?) ?

please help, really need advice from folk, i cant take much more of this. apart from the fact that the situation at home is so bad (feel i can hardly come out of my room) i do really need an income.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why not try looking for a 'normal' job through a temp agency as well as through standard ads. That way you can quit at really short notice should something come up but it will at least show you parents your not just sitting on your arse waiting for something to happen.

I guess you've looked into teaching jobs further afield?
    have you considered moving ?
    This is strange - I always thought there was a shortage of teachers available.

Either way, I hope you get your situation sorted out. I would go along with SCC's suggestion on this one.
    Just to get up and move. Hm, not all that easy.

I think supply work is best too. Afterall the schools have only just gone back and will still be sorting and trialling their new staffing structures etc and they are likely to be calling upon supply. You need to get your face and name known in the schools around you. How about something like advertising for tutoring for children (crazy parents who are obsessing about Yr2/6 sats) in say your local paper may get you a few hours work here and there. Otherwise have you thought about expanding your supply to nursery nurse roles (not great pay but still getting your foot in the field of work) and such like?

I say don't go ahead and get a "regular" job. You've worked hard to get yourself your teaching status and don't give in so quickly if you have a passion to work in teaching. Widen your chances as soon as possible - and ring your supply agency and ask just how they are doing with supply jobs upcoming e.g. is it likely you will get work or not. Give yourself a few more weeks with schools going back and just buy your time with the folks.

Good luck!
    *Ashley* wrote: »

It's not that easy, but not that hard. I've done it. Just easier if you have a job lined up in advance as then at least you know where you're moving too.
    g_angel wrote: »
    This is strange - I always thought there was a shortage of teachers available.

There is a shortage of secondary teachers in certain subjects (like physics and maths) and in particular in selected areas (i.e. poor inner city schools). At a primary level getting teaching position is a real challenge as its really competitive.

My only advice is to get a a temping job - which shouldnt' be to hard now lots of students are going back for the summer and be prepared to move if something good comes up!
    Wyetry wrote: »
    There is a shortage of secondary teachers in certain subjects (like physics and maths) and in particular in selected areas (i.e. poor inner city schools). At a primary level getting teaching position is a real challenge as its really competitive.

Ah, cool.
    *Ashley* wrote: »

indeed. i have nowhere near enough cash required to move out plus i have a long term partner and my family here and im not ready to move away yet. and tbh i get a bit annoyed at folk who say you should be prepared to move in order to find work. its not as easy as all that.

and yeah its mega competitive to get a primary job, especially in scotland, not sure about down south. 200+ people apply for every job advertised, its crazy.
    If it's that competitive then it sounds like the chances of getting a full time job soon are pretty low.

How about trying the temping line and look for bar/weekend work so you've at least got something coming in and you can still do the supply if/when it comes up. Get something outside normal school hours and then you can do both when the supply appears and if it's only odd days or weeks of supply then it's not the end of the world doing both for a week or so. Supermarket shelf stacking/stock taking is usually outside the school day too, likewise petrol station staff.
    paperdoll wrote: »
    indeed. i have nowhere near enough cash required to move out plus i have a long term partner and my family here and im not ready to move away yet. and tbh i get a bit annoyed at folk who say you should be prepared to move in order to find work. its not as easy as all that.

and yeah its mega competitive to get a primary job, especially in scotland, not sure about down south. 200+ people apply for every job advertised, its crazy.

Well, it sounds like your chances to get a job locally are severely limited then. Perhaps time to be realistic and open your options a bit.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    How does it work in Scotland? For example, when I did supply I was on the council list and then I registered with various supply agencies (like Hays and Capita). Do you have that option in Scotland? Getting on as many lists as possible is one of the keys.

Then, letters, as you are going to do. Get them done now. Include with the letter some sort of reference - either a lesson observation feedback sheet or similar. That way, they will know how good you are without having to take a chance on you (if you see what I mean).

Stay in touch with your old school, the one you did your probation year at. Make sure you are on their list, because if something comes up, even if it is just a day's work, you will be top of their list.

Another way into schools is via the teaching assistant route. You could do temp TA work, get known in schools and then, once you are known in a school, it would look better if a job came up there.

I wholeheartedly sympathise with you as I was in a similar situation before. I just got lucky.

I'm sure you will too.
    If it's that competitive then it sounds like the chances of getting a full time job soon are pretty low.

How about trying the temping line and look for bar/weekend work so you've at least got something coming in and you can still do the supply if/when it comes up. Get something outside normal school hours and then you can do both when the supply appears and if it's only odd days or weeks of supply then it's not the end of the world doing both for a week or so. Supermarket shelf stacking/stock taking is usually outside the school day too, likewise petrol station staff.

thats probably the route ill have to take tbh. sucks, but thats the situation.

littlemissy - there arent any supply agencies up here, just the local authorities. im registered with my local one and am considering registering with others, its just that you need a new enhanced disclosure for each one and i dont really have the money to be forking out 20 quid a go, when i might not even get work.
    Definitely start looking for permanent jobs further afield and get those letters out now, hasn't term started in Scotland or if not then starting imminently.

Look for some other form of income too, it's called job hunting and while it's not great it doesn't suck that much! Any the schools in your authority got TA jobs going? Getting one of those, even part time will get your name around the place as much as supply if not more so and if you can develop a good relationship with the staff then it will serve you well.