Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

just crashed. cant stp shaking

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    soraliah wrote: »
    .. plus i knew before i let him that i wasnt sure about the insurance but let him anyway, and was dubious about him driving anyway, but, because im an idiot and like the guy, i thought 'what the hell'

Be careful how you word the above when talking with the Police. When written like that, you're guilty of allowing - and aiding - someone to drive on the road without insurance. You could be liable for a portion of the costs involved with repairing anything - roadsigns, fence, trees, etc.

If I were you, I'd be thinking long and hard about whether or not you actually asked him if he was covered by his own insurance.
    I'm so sorry to hear you had a prang. You're in my thoughts and prayer and i hope you'll get through this hard time. Your friends have given you very good advice and I wish you speedy recovery.

(((Hugs)))

Poppi
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Ouch! Sounds painful, glad your OK and I hope you manage to get everything sorted :)
    Be careful how you word the above when talking with the Police. When written like that, you're guilty of allowing - and aiding - someone to drive on the road without insurance. You could be liable for a portion of the costs involved with repairing anything - roadsigns, fence, trees, etc.

If I were you, I'd be thinking long and hard about whether or not you actually asked him if he was covered by his own insurance.

yeah, thanks im aware that i worded that quite awfully. silly me!!! :)
    im giving a proper statement at the police station on fri so obviously ill choose my words better.
    i AM guilty of what you said tho. i know that i didnt ask him if he was insured. i just assumed that i was (which im not) and he was (not sure yet - evidently not)

the police guy this morning read me my rights and told me that i may get a fine/court summons. scary :(

thanks for the well wishes tho guys :)
    feeling a lot better now. apart from the neck. that part sucks :impissed:
    How long is it since you passed your test soraliah?
    ive been driving for... 5 years now. youd think id know better huh :rolleyes:
    A friend of mine got done for this in very similar circumstances actually - his friend got a ban and he got a IN14 - £200 fine and 6 points if I recall.
    SIX points?!!
    so u reckon itll be pretty much the same for me?
    i know noone here really knows any details but.. damn

im hoping the isle of man judicial system is different to mainland.. oh i hope so.

im not expecting to get away scott free, but i would sooo prefer to just get a caution/court appearance/fine

im going to US next year and they dont let people in with points on their liscence etc. daaarn
    Maybe you could have covered for him, but doing so wouldn't have helped. He'd have gone out and just done it again. Sounds harsh but hopefully at least one maniac is off the roads.

Glad you're alright.

im going to US next year and they dont let people in with points on their liscence etc. daaarn

What? You sure?

But yeah, good you're ok. You spoken to the guy since?
    Glad your okay :)
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    What? You sure?

But yeah, good you're ok. You spoken to the guy since?

nah, i spoke to DG after i posted that and apparently its only if uve been arrested/convicted that ur not allowed in. points on licenses are ok apparently. phew!! :yippe:

I have spoken to him since - on the phone, from the police station.
    im going round to see him (and his parents) tonight tho to discuss stuff.

it seems like he is keen on paying for/giving half the money for a new car for me, but im going to have to talk to my dad regarding that first.
    according to my dad he'd prefer to just forgive (reluctantly) and forget, and pay for a new one himself. but if someone is offering.. :confused: i dont know what will happen. we'll see :)
    everyone ive spoken to, whos seen the car or not is just happy we're alive so money etc isnt so important.. for the time being :)
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    nah, i spoke to DG after i posted that and apparently its only if uve been arrested/convicted that ur not allowed in. points on licenses are ok apparently. phew!! :yippe:

And if you HAVE been arrested/convicted you just don't tell them when filling out the visa waiver form.

i-94w_excerpt.jpg

Points do not affect your criminal record.
    Weekender Offender 
    Hope you're feeling a bit less sore. I had a crash earlier this year, and went under a nice lorry. No matter how big or small they aren't nice, I was at fault, but as it was a 3 car pile up, and due to the lorry's actions before the crash, he was more at fault, and got a warning. Anyway, after I've rabbited on... just wanted to say I was thinking of you.
    Skive wrote: »
    And if you HAVE been arrested/convicted you just don't tell them when filling out the visa waiver form.

i-94w_excerpt.jpg

Points do not affect your criminal record.

It sounds shocking, but they can and do find out. If they do find out and you've lied on the form they refuse you entry, or they come to your hotel and deport you.
    well mortal turpitude means that you willingly and knowingly set out to commit a crime?

ie if you done and armed robbery you knew fine well what you were doing all along, whereas if you broke someones window accidently with a football then in theory you should be ok! (bad example i know lol)