Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Looking for new work.. Problem!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so I worked at a debt collection agency over the summer. I originally worked from like May to July, and left in order to do some volunteer work abroad. My manager said that when I got back in September to give them a call, which I did and got my job back.

Two weeks later I was called into the managers office because I mentioned who I worked for on MySpace, and so they fired me for this.

My question is should I mention this on a CV/Application. I've applied for a few jobs already and just mentioned the first half of my employment at this debt collectors, not the second half.

I'm starting to really get worried that those stupid two weeks has ruined my chances of even getting a stupid little part time job now.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't mention the second two weeks. Simple.
    Fail to mention the two weeks, and don't be exact about the dates you were volunteering abroad. Simple.
    Thats cool, I haven't mentioned them so far. It's just when they ask for references, do I have to give that employer as one... or can I use any employer plus a personal one?
    It will normally look a bit strange if you dont put your last employer as a reference, but I would suggest you put one down and then if questioned say something guarded insinuating that your previous manager was a bit weird.
    Does the company have any kind of policy or published guidelines regarding mentioning company in online social networking sites. Im allowed to mention who i work for, but just not allowed to talk about the workings of the business.

Find out, cause if all you did was mention who you worked for, then you could have a case of unfair dismissal against them.