Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Disadvantaged for a promotion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A couple of years ago the manager at my work was leaving so our area manager promoted the deputy to acting manager and someone in the same postion as me to acting deputy until we got a new manager. It is company policy that all jobs have to be advertised and applied for but these jobs weren't.
Now our new manager has left and the deputy has got the managers job so the deputy job is going to go up and I want to apply for it. However the person that was appointed as acting deputy last time will also be going for it, so I will be at a disadvantage cos of the area manager not following the poliies last time, and it will be her interviewing.
What should I do? Do I mention it to the area manager or do I go over her head to her supervisor?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's not requirement to advertise the 'acting' jobs at all, so there was no breach of policy as the roles weren't for permanent appointments.
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Personally, I'd chat to the Area Manager, but in a positive way about developing your skills rather than about it being unfair. Say something like "I'm aware this position will be available and it'd be something I'd really want to do; what are the best ways I could be considered for it."

You never know... they may well not want to appoint person who got it last time and looking to give someone else the opporunity.

Olly
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will have a chat to her, see what she has to say.
  • Options
    donut wrote: »
    A couple of years ago the manager at my work was leaving so our area manager promoted the deputy to acting manager and someone in the same postion as me to acting deputy until we got a new manager. It is company policy that all jobs have to be advertised and applied for but these jobs weren't.
    Now our new manager has left and the deputy has got the managers job so the deputy job is going to go up and I want to apply for it. However the person that was appointed as acting deputy last time will also be going for it, so I will be at a disadvantage cos of the area manager not following the poliies last time, and it will be her interviewing.
    What should I do? Do I mention it to the area manager or do I go over her head to her supervisor?
    Thanks

Is it at all possible that the person who was made acting deputy was done so because of a reason or reasons that you are unaware of? No offence meant but they may have thought that this person was better for the opening at the time.

Obviously if something permanent is coming up then they would have to advertise for it, get some advice how to go about things, as its the best man/woman for the job now!