Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Washing a wool coat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I've had this gorgeous black wool jacket for about 8 years, and lately dry cleaning is not getting rid of the..musty smell. :no: (when I moved to uni I kept it in storage with some other clothes). So instead of wasting another £25 getting it drycleaned I was thinking of washing it myself. Either by hand or the machine.

Our washer has an option for washing wool but I'm terrified of ruining it. Can anyone offer advice?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What's the label say ? If it says you can do it in a wool wash then do it.
    you may need to re-waterproof it
    wouldnt softner waterproof it?? :p
    Do not wash a woollen garment in a washing machine or it will felt. That is similar to a heavily matted rug. And you will ruin your garment.

I suggest gentle hand washing in pure soap flakes, rinse it gently in lukewarm water and place over towels to dry out slowly.

Poppi
    Adding that with pure soap flakes there is no need to add water softener. :)
    Poppi, i think it depends what machine you have, mine has specific cycles for wool and i have put lots of things in there and had no problems with felting. ;)
    Have you spoken to your dry cleaner about the smell? S/he may be able to help you.

Have you tried something like Febreeze? It should be okay with the wool, but I'd check first.