Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting to Heathrow for early flight

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm flying to New York from Heathrow in a few weeks. I need to be at the airport for 6am. I was going to book in a travelodge, but the closest one has no rooms.

I have a few choices of how to get there: train from Birmingham, leaving at 11pm, changing at Euston. That gets me there 4 hours early so I have to hang around the airport all night, and get no sleep. But it only costs 14.50 if I book now.

Or I can get a coach, which costs 29 pounds. They leave all through the night from Birmingham, but I still end up missing a night of sleep.

Oh, the final option is to stay with a relative in Hertfordshire, then I can get a bus from there to Heathrow at 4.30am...but I then have to pay for the cost of the ticket to get to her house and lug all my bags around.

I can't sleep on flights, and I want to enjoy the flight/watch films/indulge in the free drinks. Plus when I get there I have to use public transport to get to my apartment. I'm really bad with no sleep, grumpy and stuff..

I'm getting all confuddled... anyone got any ideas?? :) I should have chosen a better flight time!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The flight is long enough to have 3/4 hours sleep and enjoy the rest of the time drinking and watchings movies and stuff.
    ETA: Just read that you find it hard to sleep on flights.
    Go to the docs and tell them you have a hard time with flying (even if it's just not being able to sleep). They'll give you Diazepam which will let you get to sleep nicely. :)
    Seems to me this is a fairly simple situation. You can either

1. Book a different hotel.
    2. Go earlier to the airport, and try to sleep there (though they frown upon that I think).
    3. Sleep during the day before, so that you don't need to sleep that night.
    Would diazepam mak me drowsy afterwards? I don't want to be sleepy on the subway, alone with all my possessions.

Can't find any reasonably priced hotels at Heathrow at all, or I would stay overnight.
    katchika wrote: »
    Would diazepam mak me drowsy afterwards? I don't want to be sleepy on the subway, alone with all my possessions.

Can't find any reasonably priced hotels at Heathrow at all, or I would stay overnight.

They never do with me. On a long flight, I'll drop a couple before I get on, crash straight out when I am on there. As soon as food is put in front of me, I wake up, scoff it and drop back off, no worries. Fully functioning when I get off the plane, too.

Also, if you don't take the stuff regularly, it won't take much to send you off :)
    I don't really have a doctor at the moment...well I do, but they are miles and miles away and never have any appointments. Is there anything else I could get over the counter?
    you could probably find some dodgy person to sell it to you
    Do antihistamines make you sleepy? Piriton can make some people very very dozey.
    Why not stay in the Yotel at Heathrow? cheap and you cant get any closer.
    Just had a look at the yotel..nice idea, but not cheap by my standards..37.50 for 4 hours! thanks though
    When is your flight? They always say you need to be there 3 hours before, but I've always found 2 hours to be plenty, I've arrived with less than an hour for a trans-antlantic before and not had a problem.

Come down to London the day before, find a cheap hotel on the Piccadilly Line, then get the first tube into Heathrow, it will cost you a lot less.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    you could probably find some dodgy person to sell it to you

I assume you're joking, but not the best advice I've read all week. budda's idea is a good one, although I'd never risk it with check in. The last time I went to the States from Heathrow it said 3 hours and that's exactly how long it took. :(
    **Helen** wrote: »
    The last time I went to the States from Heathrow it said 3 hours and that's exactly how long it took. :(

Ahh, but thats probably because you got in line like a mug. The trick is to turn up later than they say, act all flustered and ask for help from a staff member, they dont want you to miss your flight so they push you through the system faster if it gets too close.
    £37.50 sounds ok i think! Think that's the option id choose rather than medication, if youve never taken it before you cant be sure how it will make you feel.
    It also is likely to depend on which airline you're flying with, because some will have bigger check-in queues than others.
    Well in the end I've decided to get a coach from Birmingham to London, then the tube to the airport. So I'll be at the airport around 1am...5 hours to kill before I can check in. Can't wait...
    Be careful to check when the last Heathrow tube leaves the centre of town, otherwise you may well be stuck. Personally I'd have a back up plan just in case of a traffic jam or coach break down.
    Should be ok..I think the last tube is 1ish, and my coach should get to Victoria at about 11.30. There's always the night bus if I miss the last tube.