Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Peru/Moldovo

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey guys.

I am trying to make a choice between the above two places for a gap year, well gap month I need to deposit on for next year.

Anyone any experiences of either Peru or Moldovo? Chisinau or Cusco to be specific!?

Things like nightlife, culture, cost, weather anything. I plan to be spending a month volunteering in an orphanage throughout the week and the weekends wouild be my free time. So need somewhere with 4 weekends worth or good exploring!

Cheers guys!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cusco is awesome. There's a really nice cafe/restaurant place overlooking the main square which does amazing burgers. There's a fair bit of exploring to do, given all the ancient ruins and things, but if you want to go to Machu Picchu that involves a bit of travelling so you wanna bear that in mind.

I'm not sure about night life, although there is a bar that does a fairly good quiz night. You will have to be careful though because it is very touristy and therefore that makes you quite vulnerable. A couple of my friends got mugged while we were in Peru and the bag that got stolen had one girl's driver's license and the other's passport in it. Be aware of where your money is at all times and preferably don't carry a visible bag with you. You can get money pouches which fit under your clothes and don't stick out or anything which are really good.

Weather will depend on what time of year you're going. It was temperamental while we were there, although I did get burned while we were in Cusco. Everything is cheap over there by our standards. I got a huge tub of really decent moisturiser for 17 soles, which is just under £3.
    Do you mean Moldova in Europe?

I'd go for Peru if so!
    This is like mega tricky because the gap year project team are recommending Moldova in terms of the project is offering. And I fancy the Moldova project better but your guys are saying Peru.

Katchika - you know of Chisinau in particular?
    katchika wrote: »
    Do you mean Moldova in Europe?

I'd go for Peru if so!

Am i being thick, or is moldova the place where the bad guy in ghostbusters 2 was from?
    Moldova is near Ukraine and Romania, so Wiki told me!
    At the end of the day it's up to you. If you prefer the sounds of the Moldova project then go for that one because it's what you'll spend the most time doing. Plus you need to bear in mind that it is a very long plane ride to Lima and then another one to Cusco so if you're not good with aeroplanes it's not a good move.

You can always go to the other place another time, especially if it's for sightseeing and things. There's no way you could do all the things you would want to do in Cusco just in a few weekends, because a lot of the more popular ones (like Machu Picchu) are a bit further out.