Home Work & Volunteering
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Sign up here


Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'll try and keep this brief as possible.

I work for a call centre. I was given notice 5 weeks ago that we will be made redundant.

Now, they offered us all positions in another contract. Given us the option to either move to new contract (Diff hours + Pay) or take redundancy if entitled to it. (which I am as been there for 18 months now.)

Just 2 weeks ago, I told them, I'd be happy to move to diff contract. However, a couple days later, I had been off due to being ill and had a sickline in to cover me for the last 2 weeks.

I sent a letter yesterday to let them know I would be unable to take the job they offered me and hope to receive my redundancy pay on top of all my holiday pay I know I'm owed. So currently just waiting to hear back from them about that.

However, I have been told by a manager in the company that I may not get my redundancy now as I already accepted to take the new position.

Then, I was told by another guy, I am entitled to have the to option in trying out the new position and have up to 4 weeks to decide if I want to stay or take redundancy. So if I decide before the 4 weeks I want to leave, I should get my redundancy.

Does anyone know about this as I'm totally clueless about this.

Cheers :)


  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Any one smell a rat that they are offering the staff lots of other contracts after saying they are going to get rid of them?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Eh no - Maybe I didn't explain myself well.

    I work for a big ass company that consists of lots of mini contracts with diff online companys.

    The contract I was with, the online company decided they didn't want to re new the contract with the company I work for - therefore puts me and my team out of jobs.

    However, the company (I was employeed by) has said, they would try and find us all positions in the other contracts - But could not guarantee we would get the same money, hours etc. So we had the option to move to the contracts that were looking for agents/supervisors - or take the redundancy if it didn't suit us.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ahh that makes a bit better sense now.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Redundancies are shitty, but just the way it goes I suppose.

    I was made redundant from my old job which was a tiny company where the director decided that with the crunch in effect, he didn't have the necessary assets to get the business going properly. I had the choice of accepting a completely different role to what I was trained for, or hitting the road.

    I left Monday morning, applied for my current job the same day, had the interview on Friday and started the new job the following Tuesday.

    The job I'm at now is central London based and there's a whiff of doom and gloom in the air, which is never pretty, but there's not much you can do other than get your head down and get on with it. I'm not overly worried personally 'cause if the worst comes to the worst, I can easily rely on my freelance work to get me by and I'd probably make more money than I'm earning at the moment (without considering the raping for tax).

    But yeah, what are the terms of your new contract offer? I'm guessing the pay has taken a cut?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's not getting to me that my contract is ending.

    It's just, I want to take my redundancy, rather than take the other position which is diff hours and less pay.

    But not sure if I'm entitled to getting my redundancy as I already agreed to start with new contract (Though I didn't sign anything) - Haven't even started in new contract as been off sick the last 2 weeks.

    So just waiting to hear back from them after I told them, I wont be back. My old contract just ended last Tues and was suppose to start new contract yesterday - But I haven't as still off sick and put a sickline in to cover it.

    Just I was told 2 diff things and didn't know which was true.
  • JsTJsT TheSite Graduate Posts: 18,265 Incredible Poster
    We had this when I got made redundant and you should still be allowed to claim it. Might be better to chat to someone more qualified about it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well still to hear back from them, just hope they wont be difficult.
Sign In or Register to comment.