Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting asked for ID

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Rant time. There's this one sour-faced vindictive bitch with barely a word of the Queen's who works in the Tesco on the Fulham Palace Road near where I live who insists on asking me for ID every single fucking time I go and buy fags or booze. I'm 23. I look older than 23. She knows I'm 23 as I've shown her my driving licence countless times. It really annoys me that she appears to derive some sick pleasure from this fruitless pursuit.

I guess this must happen to quite a few people but I hope, for your sake, not at the same location and perpetrated by the same fucking person every damned time.

Rant over.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ask her out to dinner then I'm sure she'll never forget you .. :thumb:
    Same here

Been going round town for years, yet all of a sudden, a new bar opens and the same idiot bouncer asks me every single week for ID, despite me being in most Fridays and Saturdays!

And everytime he makes the same "ooooh u were blonde" comment (blonde on my driving license, now brunette!)
    Haha I know its like get a grip. I always get asked (I'm 23) but it only annoys me when the same people ask me again and again
    DG wrote: »
    Ask her out to dinner then I'm sure she'll never forget you .. :thumb:

Not likely mate. She's got a face like a sack of spanners.
    Am I the only person on this earth who views being asked for ID as a compliment? :(
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Am I the only person on this earth who views being asked for ID as a compliment? :(

Not when it's evidently done out of spite or the lack of anything better to do.
    Yes :p. Actually the only time it annoys me is when I don't have it with me which is very rare.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Yes :p
    I would have thought that someone thinking you looked younger than 21 was a compliment. :p

Always worth bearing in mind that most of the time, the people asking for ID are simply following orders. The organ grinders who come up with these daft policies are usually gimps who've probably never worked in a shop or a bar in their lives.
    **Helen** wrote: »
    *clicks on Report Post button to report this disgraceful piece of spam* :p
    I'm 30 and I got ID'd 4 times on my 30th birthday for both fags and booze but I love it! I don't see the harm in pulling my driving license from my purse, it only takes a minute and makes me feel young :)
    Don't even get me started.

I'm all bitched out when it comes to complaining about ID!
    I cant remember the last time I got ID'd. Even when I was underage I didnt get Id'd much. Ah the joys of looking older then you are.
    I also got Id'd in poundland for a pack of lighters

I handed over my ID which states I was born in 1985, and then proceeded to watch the shop assistant count from 1985 to 2008 on her fingers, give me my ID back, ask for it again, count again, then ask how old I was!

ha
    Littleali wrote: »
    Same here

Been going round town for years, yet all of a sudden, a new bar opens and the same idiot bouncer asks me every single week for ID, despite me being in most Fridays and Saturdays!

And everytime he makes the same "ooooh u were blonde" comment (blonde on my driving license, now brunette!)

You only have to remember that one bouncer - that one bouncer probably had hundreds of faces to recognise - why should he remember you from hundreds if not thousands of people that walk through the doors each week?
    I can't beleive what a fuss everone is making about showing some ID...and the majority of you are in your twenties! It takes more than being ID'd to frustrate me...and who doesn't want to have a compliment paid to them about how young they look!? Yes it can be annoying when you get to over 30 like me and have to take ID everywhere...but hey, it's not gonna last forever!
    DG wrote: »
    You only have to remember that one bouncer - that one bouncer probably had hundreds of faces to recognise - why should he remember you from hundreds if not thousands of people that walk through the doors each week?

probably because i am from widnes, thousands of people do not walk through even the busiest pub here in a weekend.

I am in there almost every weekend, and stand outside (where the bouncers are) quite a lot

also because every time he sees my ID, he makes the same comment
    i got ID'd buying scissors the other day in woolworths.
    fair enough you might think - except these ones were the little kiddy ones that even a 5 yo are able to use

blunt_scossors_300.jpg

needless to say i hadnt brought my id out with me and had to walk out of said shop extremely pissed off - and went to the toy shop instead. they had no problem oddly enough :p
    soraliah wrote: »
    i got ID'd buying scissors the other day in woolworths.
    fair enough you might think - except these ones were the little kiddy ones that even a 5 yo are able to use

blunt_scossors_300.jpg

needless to say i hadnt brought my id out with me and had to walk out of said shop extremely pissed off - and went to the toy shop instead. they had no problem oddly enough :p

Aww now that is when ID is taken to the extreme and I would be annoyed at that! Haha.
    Always worth bearing in mind that most of the time, the people asking for ID are simply following orders. The organ grinders who come up with these daft policies are usually gimps who've probably never worked in a shop or a bar in their lives

So would you ask the same person for ID even if they came in every week and you knew their face?
    Seams a bit stupid the same person in tesco asking you for ID.

I'd make a scene and say something to piss her off :)
    I get ID'd all the time in the same shop that I work in! Bit annoying. Their "Task 25" scheme is a bit crap though, taking it too far I think.
    I get ID'd all the time in the same shop that I work in! Bit annoying.

That's gotta be the funniest and stupidest thing ever?

You get ID'd in the shop you work in! LOL!
    :p To be fair, it's a supermarket and I don't work on the checkout department.
    Ahh, I thought it was a small shop :)
    I go to the same place with the same people who know who I am and I get ID'd every time. But its part of their job. They could get canned for not or fined personally for selling underage. So their aren't taking the risk and asking everybody. Hardly worth getting your panties in a bunch. I'm sure your id isn't far from your cash anyways. That whole extra second of work must be really painful.
    I got badly embarrased when some guy laughed in my face when i IDed them when i worked at a supermarket. It made me feel extremely stupid, even though i really wasnt sure of their age.
    Now i dont get offended, if i havent brought my ID out then its my own fault..it usually saves me money if i forget it anyways...

EDIT: although i would get annoyed if i showed ID to the same person a number of times. I would usually remember a face if they went through my checkout again..defo if it was several times.
    i have to ask people for ID quite a bit at work and some faces i recognise, so i wont ask them for ID again and again if i do remember them. but theres so many people who come in its hard to remember!

i asked a girl for ID today for cigarettes and she was really rude about it, flying into a temper and stormed off shouting 'oh dont worry love, i'll get them from my corner shop, asking me for fucking ID' so as she was going i said 'see ya!' in a really mock cheerful voice. i probably shouldnt have done it but she pissed me off. ha.
    What pissed me off was when a supermarket had a rule saying they couldn't serve me cause my ID was foreign! I am not joking when I say that if I wasn't a student I would have dragged their asses to court as I have the exact article in the EU legislation saying they're not allowed to do that, and the support of some Eu directive and one of the MEPs. But don't have the money for that.

Sorry, a related rant.
    I always get ID'd. It doesn't matter if I'm buying wine at the supermarket or if I'm out with my friends (Many of whom are older than me) I'm always the one who gets ID'd. I'm 4 years over being legal to buy alcohol... I beleive its because of a lack of facial hair personally. What does annoy me is when I've been out with my younger sister and her friends. They never get I'd and I always do.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    So would you ask the same person for ID even if they came in every week and you knew their face?

Exactly. Bar staff seem to manage it even though they're serving hundreds of people a night. I don't care about being asked for ID, but the same person every time would piss me off.